Retaining Wall of Unopened Sacks of Concrete

/ Retaining Wall of Unopened Sacks of Concrete #31  
To remove the paper a guy could get up there with his weedburner and burn it all off.

The sacks of curing concrete will be like little alkaline bombs to the creek. Our tree hugger folks are getting to the point of not allowing concrete in the creeks since the pH of the water is effected.

The pVC drains are again cheap insurance and might be a good idea to keep the retaining wall from becoming a dam. Once the bags have set up then the PVC isn't doing anything, the channels are already cast in place.

I am amazed and tickled that the wall is so large. Was there a footing at the base? I would worry that the ground could settle in places and make those pretty rows be all goofy.

/ Retaining Wall of Unopened Sacks of Concrete
I didn't know they made special bags for that purpose; thought it was just bags of Sakcrete or some other brand. That's interesting.

/ Retaining Wall of Unopened Sacks of Concrete #35  
kc5dlo said:
Anyone seen this product? I wonder what it costs per sack? Bio-degradable sack and no plastic lining. Seems like it is just what I need to reinforce around the culverts under my road.

/ Retaining Wall of Unopened Sacks of Concrete #36  
jinman said:
Wouldn't you know it? I was at the one in Grapevine that I was thinking about on Friday and didn't have my camera. It's not along a creek, but in a runoff collection basin in front of the Target store there. Next week I'll try to remember to get a photo.

I stopped by the shopping center in Grapevine last night and I even remembered to carry my camera. This picture shows the catch basin from the parking lot. I know this basin is at least 10 years old, maybe more. It's holding up pretty good and still looks attractive.

Attachments

• BaggedBasin-1.jpg
    BaggedBasin-1.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 2,566
   / Retaining Wall of Unopened Sacks of Concrete
Apparently that type of retaining wall isn't as unusual as I first thought.

/ Retaining Wall of Unopened Sacks of Concrete #38  
jinman said:
I stopped by the shopping center in Grapevine last night and I even remembered to carry my camera. This picture shows the catch basin from the parking lot. I know this basin is at least 10 years old, maybe more. It's holding up pretty good and still looks attractive.

Jim I don't think we have that many cement bags in the entire state.

/ Retaining Wall of Unopened Sacks of Concrete #39  
I dont remember the cost but I will never forget helping one of my buddies try to stop the water from washing his
6' culvert away, We put 150 or so bags of riprap under and around the inlet in water that started at knee deep and as we plugged the holes wound up at chest deep. I was the poor guy catching the bags as they slid down the hill and passing them to the guy placing them. worked great UNTIL we plugged it enough to see that the culvert was completely rusted out and we were wasting our time.
We ended up building a bridge, and used the old bags of riprap to help prevent errosion. The bags are perferated and you could feel them taking on water weight almost imediatly. Wow sorry for the long post,

/ Retaining Wall of Unopened Sacks of Concrete #40  
WayneB said:
Jim I don't think we have that many cement bags in the entire state.

Yeah! Go into your local box store and ask them for 10,000 bags of concrete just so you can see the expression on their faces.:D :D