Tomato plants survived

/ Tomato plants survived #1  

BTDT

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH M Farmall-propane powered, H Farmall (father-in-laws), Ford 1300 diesel
I was in Dallas this weekend when cold (er) weather hit, and I was concerned that my tomato plants would freeze. But as you can see, they survived and are doing great.

Attachments

• Todays pics 009.jpg
    Todays pics 009.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 428
  • Todays pics 010.jpg
    Todays pics 010.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 293
  • Todays pics 011.jpg
    Todays pics 011.jpg
    357.7 KB · Views: 249
  • Todays pics 012.jpg
    Todays pics 012.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 264
   / Tomato plants survived #2  
Mornin Mike,
Wow I will say there doin good !!! I dont want to tell you how much longer till we have tomato plants with actual tomatoes on them ! ;)

Might be awhile though, we havent planted yet !:)

/ Tomato plants survived #3  
Nice 'maters!

I looked at mine yesterday, have my first small mater coming out on one of the Roma plants.

Better Boys aren't producing yet, but have nice blooms.

Nothing better than a 'mater sandwich with lots of mayo, salt and pepper.

/ Tomato plants survived #4  
Your plants look great. I must be at least 35 miles north of you and my plants that were not covered got a little frostbite. I have uncovered bean plants with brown on the edges of the leaves and others that were covered with no signs of freeze damage.

You must have planted your tomatoes very early. I wanted to, but thought better of it. A few of my little plants have blooms, but no tomatoes yet. Yours look terrific.:)

/ Tomato plants survived
jinman said:
Your plants look great. I must be at least 35 miles north of you and my plants that were not covered got a little frostbite. I have uncovered bean plants with brown on the edges of the leaves and others that were covered with no signs of freeze damage.

You must have planted your tomatoes very early. I wanted to, but thought better of it. A few of my little plants have blooms, but no tomatoes yet. Yours look terrific.:)

I read in your garden thread where you replanted your black eyes. I too had to replant corn, peas, and I planted my okra yesterday. Rain is good, I'm hoping we don't get any hail out of this round of storms predicted for tonight.

/ Tomato plants survived #6  
BTDT said:
I read in your garden thread where you replanted your black eyes. I too had to replant corn, peas, and I planted my okra yesterday. Rain is good, I'm hoping we don't get any hail out of this round of storms predicted for tonight.

We have been lucky that the last two storms just dropped a little over 1/2" each and that was about the perfect amount of rain. My garden is happy and going strong now.

One thing I don't completely understand is my potatoes. I left the "experiment" with the ones I planted and covered with hay. They have been doing fine, but they got frostbite and about half the plants have brown/wilted edges on the leaves. They are really starting to recover nicely. The strange thing is that the same kind of potatoes planted directly into the soil have green, healthy plants that show no damage from the frost whatsoever. They are right next to each other. I'll try to get a picture soon, but there is something strange going on with the "hay" crop that makes me curious.:confused:

/ Tomato plants survived
jinman said:
We have been lucky that the last two storms just dropped a little over 1/2" each and that was about the perfect amount of rain. My garden is happy and going strong now.

One thing I don't completely understand is my potatoes. I left the "experiment" with the ones I planted and covered with hay. They have been doing fine, but they got frostbite and about half the plants have brown/wilted edges on the leaves. They are really starting to recover nicely. The strange thing is that the same kind of potatoes planted directly into the soil have green, healthy plants that show no damage from the frost whatsoever. They are right next to each other. I'll try to get a picture soon, but there is something strange going on with the "hay" crop that makes me curious.:confused:
Strange. I would assume that the hay would act like insulation, but it may be that it was off the ground enough that it actually froze/frosted quicker, and by it being around the potatoes, they frosted too. The dirt dr. might know if you could post something to his site.

/ Tomato plants survived
Picked these yesterday. Mmm, fried green tomatoes, the smaller ones will ripen on sill.

Attachments

• Picked yesterday.jpg
    Picked yesterday.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 161
   / Tomato plants survived #9  
I don't plant tomatoes till about mid may here in southern w.va.,,last frost is generally come and gone by than,thats about the last thing I plant,, tomatoes,peppers and sweet potatoe sets,cause a dab of frost will kill them,no need doing it twice and who wants to try and cover 4-5 dozen tomato plants to keep them from dieing,,thingy

/ Tomato plants survived #10  
thingy said:
I don't plant tomatoes till about mid may here in southern w.va.,,last frost is generally come and gone by than,thats about the last thing I plant,, tomatoes,peppers and sweet potatoe sets,cause a dab of frost will kill them,no need doing it twice and who wants to try and cover 4-5 dozen tomato plants to keep them from dieing,,thingy

Where do you get your sweet potato sets? Do you mail order them or grow them yourself? We have about 25 sets we grew from three potato plants and we will plant them as soon as they get established in our potting soil. When we planted them in the potting soil, they had about 1" roots on the slips.

I did have to cover my tomato plants (66) and peppers for one frost, but they are now going strong and I'm not too far behind BTDT. My little plants have blooms already and should be setting tomatoes within a week. I also have yellow squash 2" long. It grows fast and I expect the plants will be producing more than we can eat by mid-May.