My first tractor, 1951 Ford 8n

/ My first tractor, 1951 Ford 8n
I definitely prefer to keep tractors in their original paint, if possible. That gets tough, because so many are left outside, and the sun is very punishing to paint jobs (and rubber).

My uncle, who was a collector of old cars and tractors, passed away a couple years ago. They had a little wake for him down at the fire hall. Lots of friends and family showed up with their classic cars.

I drove my 8n over there. It was the only machine that still had the factory paint and rubber. My late uncle’s Gran Torino was the star of that show.
IMG_1599.jpeg

IMG_1597.jpeg

IMG_1598.jpeg

/ My first tractor, 1951 Ford 8n #12  
We had the Ford 8N 3 point accessory jack that lifted the whole back end to remove both rear wheels when changing to the cultivator spread
Probably a rare accessory to find nowadays

/ My first tractor, 1951 Ford 8n #13  
We had the Ford 8N 3 point accessory jack that lifted the whole back end to remove both rear wheels when changing to the cultivator spread
You can still find them. I just sold mine. If you had the front piece, you can lift all four wheels at one time.

Attachments

• 3-point tractor jack components.PNG
    3-point tractor jack components.PNG
    411.8 KB · Views: 20
I had one that I sold quite a few years ago.

The old 8n sputtered a little while I was plowing this area but didn’t miss a beat on the planter yesterday. I suppose that prior roughness was a result of using up
The gas that was left in the tank from last year. It ran like new once the fresh gas got to it.
IMG_4424.jpeg

There is certainly no modern tractor that I would prefer over the 51 8n on that 2-row corn planter. The quiet running gas engine lets me easily hear any malfunction from the planter, and the low platform, easy on easy off from either side is a very nice feature when planting low quantities of sweetcorn.

/ My first tractor, 1951 Ford 8n #17  
The 8N my not have all the bells and whistles of newer machines but they are still a reliable worker.