Oil & Fuel Cleaning PT 1850 Engine Oil Radiator

/ Cleaning PT 1850 Engine Oil Radiator #1  

SpringHollow

Elite Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1850, NH 2120
People have posted how to remove the upper and side deflectors on the oil radiator so that it can be cleaned to prevent the engine from overheating. Harbor Freight sells an engine cleaning gun ($6.99) which is angled and small enough to reach under the upper cover and blow out the radiator. It also allows you to dispense cleaning fluid as well. So far, it has worked well for me to remove the side cover and clean the radiator with just compressed air.

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Ken

/ Cleaning PT 1850 Engine Oil Radiator #2  
ksimolo said:
People have posted how to remove the upper and side deflectors on the oil radiator so that it can be cleaned to prevent the engine from overheating. Harbor Freight sells an engine cleaning gun ($6.99) which is angled and small enough to reach under the upper cover and blow out the radiator. It also allows you to dispense cleaning fluid as well. So far, it has worked well for me to remove the side cover and clean the radiator with just compressed air.

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Ken
I also have a 90 degree wand that fits, and I have had pretty good results removing only the side panel. Every so often, however, I've pulled the top so I can use a light and look through. I've always found a considerable amount of stuff.

/ Cleaning PT 1850 Engine Oil Radiator
Hi Charlie,

Thanks for the heads up! I had figured I would keep an eye on the temperatures and when I saw that it started to climb, I would have to remove the top cover for a more thorough cleaning. I also need to do the filter mod on the engine housing at some point.

Ken

/ Cleaning PT 1850 Engine Oil Radiator #4  
ksimolo said:
I also need to do the filter mod on the engine housing at some point.

Ken

Easiest way to extend time is to tape insect screen over the openings in the engine compartment. Since doing that, I've seldom had to stop in the middle of a job. I'm now mowing with a centrifugal filter, to see if I can make it through several mowing days between cleanings. There's a picture in a thread a while back.