My PT-422 mods

/ My PT-422 mods
Replaced the original 9" bucket on the mini-hoe with a much larger 12" model with replaceable teeth. It cost me just over $200 shipped (with coupon) and required 4 large washers used as spacers when bolting it up. The mounting holes are about 4 1/4" apart on the new bucket, vs 4" on the old one, and the washer filled in the gaps. I plan to use it for digging in softer soil, or where it is wet/soggy since it can hold approx. 3x the material. The original will still be used for trenches and possibly when carrying heavier object with the thumb attachment.

:cool2: Pics of thumb to follow once mounted.

Attachments

• bucket.jpg
    bucket.jpg
    278 KB · Views: 329
   / My PT-422 mods
Where did you order it from? ;)
Hi MR,

I got this one here:

3 Tooth Trencher Bucket

I ordered over the phone using a 25% off coupon good until 5/31/2014, but you should be able to go through the website without issue. Here's the coupon code: 58986825

I was charged $6.99 for shipping and took just over a week to arrive. It's not as obvious in the picture, but it is much bigger (and heavier) than the original bucket.

/ My PT-422 mods #26  
Thank you, Sir! I just ordered one at that price! :thumbsup: :)

/ My PT-422 mods
Thank you, Sir! I just ordered one at that price! :thumbsup: :)
Glad I could help. I haven't had the opportunity to dig with it yet, but I don't expect any issues. The smaller bucket might be better for hard or rocky soil, but I won't be sure until I put it to work. Hope it works out for you too.

/ My PT-422 mods #28  
That larger size will be useful for cleaning out the ditch beside the driveway. For serious digging, I'll continue to use the original 9"...

/ My PT-422 mods
Hi Kent,

I wanted to let you (and anyone else) know I added some spacers to fill in the larger front mounting holes on the HF bucket. I used 3/4 black pipe I had laying around, cut off sections and put a notch in them so they could be squeezed into place. These ensure the bolt stays centered. The rear holes were fine as-is. Thought I'd pass it on in case you were interested in doing something similar.

Attachments

• spacers.jpg
    spacers.jpg
    298 KB · Views: 186
   / My PT-422 mods
Bought a 16" thumb off of Ebay for $200 shipped. I could have gotten a different one a bit cheaper (~$38 or so), but this seller was highly rated. It is extremely well built. Really over built for what I need. The base is 1/2" steel and heavy. I mounted it such that it works best with both the new, larger bucket and the original PT buck. Pics are with the new HF bucket and shown in the different positions. I will most likely leave the base only when not using the thumb to avoid the added weight. The "pins" are enormous, and definitely will not the weak point. Picked up an old railroad tie and large rock as test, worked really well.

Attachments

• thumb4.jpg
    thumb4.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 205
  • thumb3.jpg
    thumb3.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 192
  • thumb2.jpg
    thumb2.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 181
  • thumb1.jpg
    thumb1.jpg