My PT-422 mods

/ My PT-422 mods #1  

KMA

Gold Member
Tractor
PT422 w/ EH72FI engine swap
I've posted some of these previously, but I added a few more "upgrades" and thought I'd post some pics. Thanks to all the forum members for the ideas and inspiration for most of the changes. :)

My tractor:
tractor.jpg

10" cooling fan:
fan.jpg

Spinner knob on steering wheel:
spinner.jpg

TSC springer seat:
seat.jpg

Mini hoe bucket curl and quick attach lock/unlock lever:
lever.jpg

Tail light for safety (and shines just bright enough to help with backing up at night):
tail_light.jpg

Light bar:
lights.jpg

/ My PT-422 mods #2  
Everything looks great, i need the mini-hoe lever set up you made. By chance could i get u to sell ,or make one for my 422? I have cash and everything!!! If I could get my hands on one in the next couple of weeks, my back would appreciate it.

Thanks Trogger

P.S. I did see your thread on this modification but I still need a little help.

/ My PT-422 mods #3  
Nice PT! I like the "organic" Armor-all on the tires!

/ My PT-422 mods
Red Zebra said:
Nice PT! I like the "organic" Armor-all on the tires!
Thanks. :D And I just washed it a week ago. :eek:

/ My PT-422 mods
The Trogger said:
Everything looks great, i need the mini-hoe lever set up you made. By chance could i get u to sell ,or make one for my 422? I have cash and everything!!! If I could get my hands on one in the next couple of weeks, my back would appreciate it.

Thanks Trogger

P.S. I did see your thread on this modification but I still need a little help.
I wish I could help you out, but I just don't have much time lately. :( We just finished building our house and I'm trying to finish up the landscaping, etc... between work, my kids baseball games, and the house I just don't get much free time. The only other thing I do is play on a competition paintball team. Any small gaps left over, I try to fill in with some sleep. :eek:

I think I used a bargin bin shifter knob, some 1/2" round steel rod, a small sledge hammer, a vise, a drill press, a grinder, and a few hours of hard work.

/ My PT-422 mods
Robin OEM engine filter replacement:

This was done to avoid having to purchase expense OEM filters over the web. You should be able to save a few bucks and go to the local tractor supply store and find a Kohler filter to use. I believe this should work on the 18, 22 and 25 hp versions, but the one in the pictures is a PT422. I based the following on an email from forum member washita although I did my mine slightly different, but the idea is the same... remove the metal cover from the OEM and use it with a more readily available filter element.

First, separate the paper element from the stock filter metal plate. There will likely be some rubber residue along the edge of the plate, so I just ran a wide blade screw driver along it to lift it up. Some of it would pull away in chunks making it easier. I don't think it has to be perfectly clean, but it needs to make a good seal with the top of the replacement filter. Be careful not to jam the tool into your hand while peeling up the residue, or cut your fingers on the wire mesh surrounding the paper element.

filter1.jpg

Washita suggested I use air filter #47 883 03-s1 for Kohler Command CH18-23 hp and CV17-23 hp engines. I used a slightly different model as seen in the following picture since it was all Tractor Supply Co had yesterday. The other model numbers may or may not be a better fit. I noticed the one I used (4708303) mated with the metal plate well, but was a tight fit onto the carburetor housing. The cost was $12.49 and included a prefilter.

filter2.jpg

You'll need to push down with enough even pressure to get the filter onto the carb housing without crushing it. This ensures a good seal, and allows the nut to reach the the threads when tightening it all down... but more on that later.

filter3.jpg

Here's a pic showing the metal plate over the installed filter, along with the prefilter. The nut is screwed on just to show how the metal plate makes a good seal with the new filter.

filter6.jpg

Since the filter I purchased had a slightly smaller inside diameter, I needed to push the element down onto the carb body with some force to get it to sit lower. Even after doing this, the filter was a bit higher and and wouldn't allow the nut to reach the threads when everything was installed, so I had to remove some material on the bench grinder.

filter4.jpg

Here's the last pic with the cover in place. The total time to do the mod was about 15 mins. Hope this helps someone else too. :)

filter7.jpg

/ My PT-422 mods #7  
KMA, nice job! I never thought of that. Very good idea.

/ My PT-422 mods #8  
I did something similar, but I used a car filter that's about 3 times as tall for about the same price. NAPA 2702. It's for an old Volvo, so it probably won't be in stock. I order them 3 or 4 at a time.

It's a bit larger in diameter than the original, so it has to squeeze down into the base plate. I replaced the stock stud with a longer piece of all-thread. The plastic cover falls quite a bit short of covering the element, so I left it off. I'll come up with another cover one of these days - maybe a big coffee can or something....

/ My PT-422 mods
To stop my PT422 from burning my lawn when I stop for a few seconds or from kicking up ton's of dust when working in dirty areas, I decided to do something simple and cheap since I do not own welding equipment (yet). I picked up a 1 1/2" copper elbow at the hardware store today and drilled a hole through my exhaust tip for a bolt. I added another set screw to keep it from vibrating.

exhaust.jpg

Last edited:
   / My PT-422 mods #10  
your improvements are mind candy to those of us that just have to modify our PT's...

I'm considering an improved tilt seat for my retrofit PT2445 slope mower. Any regrets on the one you chose after using it?