Tractor
    2005 Power Trac 422

Default PT422 oil change

I have never unscrewed the oil plug on the right hand side of the engine when changing the oil (since PT made a convenient hole and threaded an elbow into the oil plug on the left hand side to drain oil out).

I drained the oil out of the left hand side (jacking up the right hand side a bit to put a slope on the engine to completely drain the oil).

Then I undid the oil plug on the right hand side, because I intended to replace it with an oil temperature sensor.

Imagine my surprise when a significant amount of oil gushed out (maybe a cup). There must be an internal baffle plate that prevents completely draining the oil out just one drain plug, which is why the Robin manual says to remove both plugs.

Too bad there is not a convenient drain hole underneath the left hand side to allow use of that drain hole.

In case anyone else tries this, the plug on the right hand side (no surprise) does not use NPT threads (it has straight rather then tapered threads). Most sensors will have tapered threads, so some kind of adaptor plug will be required
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Now in Port Orchard, WA
    2005 PT-422
    4n1 bucket, minihoe, auger, 48" mower, land pride aerator, tow adaptor, forklift, crane, Herd GT77 spreader, LMB, 60" blade, M1 abrams turret.
    PT422 (6/23/05) photo page

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    PT 422

Default Re: PT422 oil change

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_in_CT
    I have never unscrewed the oil plug on the right hand side of the engine when changing the oil (since PT made a convenient hole and threaded an elbow into the oil plug on the left hand side to drain oil out).

I drained the oil out of the left hand side (jacking up the right hand side a bit to put a slope on the engine to completely drain the oil).

Then I undid the oil plug on the right hand side, because I intended to replace it with an oil temperature sensor.

Imagine my surprise when a significant amount of oil gushed out (maybe a cup). There must be an internal baffle plate that prevents completely draining the oil out just one drain plug, which is why the Robin manual says to remove both plugs.

Too bad there is not a convenient drain hole underneath the left hand side to allow use of that drain hole.

In case anyone else tries this, the plug on the right hand side (no surprise) does not use NPT threads (it has straight rather then tapered threads). Most sensors will have tapered threads, so some kind of adaptor plug will be required

Thanks for the heads up on the second drain plug. I just assumed the drain pipe was good enough.