Tires Solid, no flat tires for brush hog casters

/ Solid, no flat tires for brush hog casters #11  
Rivco said:
I ended up buying 4 new smaller solid rubber caster wheels for my brush mower modification. Now there is plenty of clearance in all directions, and the new setup is working great. picture #3 shows the new smaller wheels.

This modification worked very well on my 45" 180 brush mower, BUT it may not work for the 422, 425, and larger machines! :eek: I had to change the axle bolt bushings and spacer bushings when I put on the smaller wheels. So if anyone might be considering doing a similar upgrade you'll have to research kits that will work for your specific mower deck.:p

Rivco,

Where did you get the framework to put both front and rear casters on your mower? How much did it cost?

/ Solid, no flat tires for brush hog casters #12  
KentT said:
Rivco,

Where did you get the framework to put both front and rear casters on your mower? How much did it cost?

Kent, go to page 7 in Barry's thread on members homemade attachments and improvements. I posted the information in my reply to Tim In CT.

/ Solid, no flat tires for brush hog casters #13  
FYI, I have been running inner tubes in my brush cutter front tires for 4 years and have not had a flat since then. I was popping the tire off the rim every 5 minutes before that when mowing a ditch.

/ Solid, no flat tires for brush hog casters #14  
KentT said:
Rivco,

Kent,
Did you find the info on the Caroni wheel kit at Agri Supply® - Where we have Something for Everyone for your Farm Shop & Home - NC, SC, GA, VA, Tifton, Garner, Florence, Statesboro, Petersburg, Greenville, Lumberton ok?
Do you think it will work on your brush mower? Is the 425 brush mower
48" ? I know the lift arms are longer on the 425 so the wheels that come with the kit might work.

/ Solid, no flat tires for brush hog casters #15  
Rivco said:
Kent,
Did you find the info on the Caroni wheel kit at Agri Supply® - Where we have Something for Everyone for your Farm Shop & Home - NC, SC, GA, VA, Tifton, Garner, Florence, Statesboro, Petersburg, Greenville, Lumberton ok?
Do you think it will work on your brush mower? Is the 425 brush mower
48" ? I know the lift arms are longer on the 425 so the wheels that come with the kit might work.

I could only find one for 60" - 90" mowers, though I didn't spend a lot of time researching it:

ASC # 28803

Yes, the 425 brush mower is 48" and there wouldn't be a lot of room back there for rear swivel casters. I think I'm going to just semi-pnematic wheels/tires on the front for now, and go with that for a while. I also fabbed up a rear deflector to put on it, using 2" angle iron bracket with a double layer of 6" wide flat roller belt. Those two mods, plus rubber snubs on the two extra stump-jumper bolts are all I plan to do for now.

brushhog.jpg

/ Solid, no flat tires for brush hog casters #16  
BobRip said:
FYI, I have been running inner tubes in my brush cutter front tires for 4 years and have not had a flat since then. I was popping the tire off the rim every 5 minutes before that when mowing a ditch.

I did the inner tube thing too with good results.

/ Solid, no flat tires for brush hog casters #17  
What about one of these across the back of the brush cutter (or 48" finish mower) to replace the rigid plastic wheels?

ASC # 32834

I'm not sure it would be wide enough, and you might actually need the one KentT linked to above. If I can find the time someday, it would be nice to piece together everything needed to completely remove the rear wheels and make them caster wheels. I would like this for my finish mower in particular since it tears up the lawn if you don't lift the deck when turning sharply. :(

I think two of these ASC # 30887 would be needed, and maybe the rest of the items could be bought at your local TSC??? We might be able to do it for under $250...?

The price is right on this kit, but I doubt it would hold up. :(

Lawn Mower Attachment - Saves MowingTime - Reduces Labor

Maybe some of the items on this page would work, and be affordable?

HyperParts, LLC(OPE Replacement Parts) > Item Class

More specifically, HyperParts, LLC(OPE Replacement Parts) > Item Inquiry + HyperParts, LLC(OPE Replacement Parts) > Item Inquiry gets you a set for around $120 before buying the wheels etc, but I don't know if it would give you enough height adjustability... maybe though.

Last edited: