Stumpgrinder direction

/ Stumpgrinder direction #11  
I haven't had the trouble some of you have with debris being flung back at you. I don't know how some of you are using the stump grinder, but there are probably several approaches one could use. Pt says to extend the stump cutter over the stump and lower the unit to begin cutting moving side to side, and backing up after every pass. I will try and post a picture of the way PT says to grind stumps. Maybe not, I copied something to clip board, and I cant find the clip board. Some one tell me how to open up the clip board.

/ Stumpgrinder direction #12  
No sure what OS you are using...maybe try "start" "run" and then type in clipbrd

/ Stumpgrinder direction
The point I was trying to make:

"A national trade magazine for compact equipment recommends when buying a stump grinder that the rotation should send debris AWAY from the operator".

I wondered if PT might see the error of their ways IF they subscribe and read Compact Equipment.

Phil

/ Stumpgrinder direction #14  
JJ,
I believe if you are just using Windows IE, it does not have a clipboard that you can open and see.
If you copy or cut, it will be ready to paste...unless you copy or cut again (anything...no matter how much or how little) and then your first copy/cut will be overwritten for good.
But don't quote me, I am far from being a techie.

/ Stumpgrinder direction #15  
There is something else that controls which direction the wheel turns. I am not a good enough machinist to explain, but when milling a piece of steel, the direction the cutter turns makes all the difference in the world. Going one way, it is forgiving and the other, not so much, but it does make a prettier cut provided you can keep the cutter from "digging in" and launching the part if it isn't mounted solid. I know some of you have turned the blade direction around, with great results, but I wonder if there is an adverse effect that you don't feel because the machine makes up for it?
Climb cutting is the way I was trying to explain.
David from jax

/ Stumpgrinder direction #16  
sandman2234 said:
There is something else that controls which direction the wheel turns. I am not a good enough machinist to explain, but when milling a piece of steel, the direction the cutter turns makes all the difference in the world. Going one way, it is forgiving and the other, not so much, but it does make a prettier cut provided you can keep the cutter from "digging in" and launching the part if it isn't mounted solid. I know some of you have turned the blade direction around, with great results, but I wonder if there is an adverse effect that you don't feel because the machine makes up for it?
Climb cutting is the way I was trying to explain.
David from jax

Remember, they are reversing the wheel AND reversing the flow of the hydraulic motor. The wheel still "thinks" it is going in the same direction. ;)

/ Stumpgrinder direction #17  
Mossroads,
I understand. Simply reversing the direction of a cutter on a milling machine does what they are doing. What changes is the other varibles such as how the machine is accepting the load, under compression or extension if that means anything. The tool trying to compress the slack in the machine or pull it apart means all the difference in the world. Having built a stump grinder similar to this, I can understand what you guys are saying, I just can't put my thoughts onto the screen.
David from jax

/ Stumpgrinder direction #20  
I thought of a way to explain this where most people can relate.
Take a skilsaw and cut a thin sheet of plywood. No problem going forward, but what happens when you try to back it up while cutting? All kinds of stuff hits the fan, which is what reversing a stump grinder does, except that it has a heavy weight on the end of it, so it doesn't jump out of the slot as easily.
Clear as mud yet?
David from jax