Stumpgrinder direction

/ Stumpgrinder direction #1  

Phils

Platinum Member
Tractor
PT-422
The newest issue of Compact Equipment came today and on pages 34 and 35 they recommend that when buying a stump grinder to "... make sure it has the ability to cut several inches below the grade and the cutter rotation throws chips away from the operator."

Mine meets those conditions (I never even operated it before reversing the blade and hoses) but PT still ships them with debris being flung at the operator. This has been mentioned to the people at PT before and, as I remember the thread, was dismissed out of hand.

Since I've seen PTs in the mag, I would assume the issues are delivered to PT. Do you think it'll occur to them that flinging debris AWAY from the operator is better?

Phil

/ Stumpgrinder direction #2  
Phils said:
The newest issue of Compact Equipment came today and on pages 34 and 35 they recommend that when buying a stump grinder to "... make sure it has the ability to cut several inches below the grade and the cutter rotation throws chips away from the operator."

Mine meets those conditions (I never even operated it before reversing the blade and hoses) but PT still ships them with debris being flung at the operator. This has been mentioned to the people at PT before and, as I remember the thread, was dismissed out of hand.

Since I've seen PTs in the mag, I would assume the issues are delivered to PT. Do you think it'll occur to them that flinging debris AWAY from the operator is better?

Phil

Before I reversed the blade and hoses on my 180 stump grinder I asked terry at PT that question and his reply was that it is a liability issue with regards to stones, wood chips and debris projecting forward and hitting bystanders, glass windows, buildings etc. causing damage or injury. I mounted a small metal boat fender on top of mine and it has worked very well containing most flying chips and debris to around the stump, and it protects me from getting a face full of woodchips.

/ Stumpgrinder direction
Rivco said:
Before I reversed the blade and hoses on my 180 stump grinder I asked terry at PT that question and his reply was that it is a liability issue with regards to stones, wood chips and debris projecting forward and hitting bystanders, glass windows, buildings etc. causing damage or injury. I mounted a small metal boat fender on top of mine and it has worked very well containing most flying chips and debris to around the stump, and it protects me from getting a face full of woodchips.

I'd think that THEIR liability concerns would be to the operator of THEIR equipment, not potential liability concerns that the operator would have with regard to damage caused by the actions of the operator.

As furnished, an operator with safety glasses on while operating the grinder could still be injured.

Part of the operation of ANY equipment that sends debris flying is making sure it's not gonna cause injury of damage. Even with our lawsuit-happy populace, I can't imagine a suit against PT for damage caused by their equipment flinging debris. Besides, wouldn't it just take a warning on the instruction pages for the stump grinder? (a little tongue-in-cheek jab at PT's owners manuals).

[on edit] I haven't mounted anything extra on the grinder. I just make sure I'm sending my debris in a direction that won't hurt anybody or anything.

Phil

Last edited:
   / Stumpgrinder direction #4  
I agree with you 100% Phil. They should be concerned about the safety of the person operating their equipment and not about property damage.I reversed my cutter blade and I have never changed it back. I'm concerned and responsible for my own safety, and I have liability insurance to cover property damage and injury to others.

/ Stumpgrinder direction #5  
Phils said:
I'd think that THEIR liability concerns would be to the operator of THEIR equipment, not potential liability concerns that the operator would have with regard to damage caused by the actions of the operator.

Phil
Perhaps PT thinks that the indemnification clause in the sales contract protects them against purchase (operator) liability--but that liability for injury to a third party is something they need to worry about.

I quote the provision below:

"Buyer agrees to indemnify and hold harmless POWER TRAC, its owners, employees, or agents from any
and all charges and expenses arising from any and all claims of any nature from Buyer, Buyer’s insurance company, employees,
owners, agents, clients, or any third party resulting in any expense to POWER TRAC beyond the limited warranty below."

/ Stumpgrinder direction #6  
the reasons you are discussing are why emails never get answered. The spoken word can be twisted but the written word is a fact.

/ Stumpgrinder direction #7  
I was going to reverse the stump grinder on my 1430 but found that the bolt holes on my wheel were chauffeured on the outside and the bolts are tapered to match, like wheel lug bolts. Has anyone who has reversed theirs had the same set-up. If so, did you replace the bolts with square shouldered one's. I sure would like to reverse that grinder but I sure would not want to be close by if the wheel came off at full speed.

/ Stumpgrinder direction #8  
RegL said:
I was going to reverse the stump grinder on my 1430 but found that the bolt holes on my wheel were chauffeured on the outside and the bolts are tapered to match, like wheel lug bolts. Has anyone who has reversed theirs had the same set-up. If so, did you replace the bolts with square shouldered one's. I sure would like to reverse that grinder but I sure would not want to be close by if the wheel came off at full speed.

This is the setup on the 180 stump grinder. The bolt holes are chamfered on both sides of the blade to receive the tapered lug bolts.

Last edited:
   / Stumpgrinder direction #9  
RegL said:

RegL, I bought the 1430 and the stump grinder May 06. I reversed the wheel and switched and reorintated the cutting "blades" so that the debris would go away from me. I don't remember if the bolts were tapered or not. I won't be able to confirm until the weekend but i'll let you know either way. i have used it this way to cut at least 15 to 20 stumps. i have had to retighten the bolts holding the "blades" on once.

/ Stumpgrinder direction #10  
" i have had to retighten the bolts holding the "blades" on once."

That's not good! Once those bolts get loose, I think they could snap pretty easily. With the wheel reversed, the direction of rotation is such, that it would come flying right at you. A friend of mine has a machine shop. Maybe I'll see if he can chamfer the back side of the wheel.