PT425 Lift Arm and Center Link Arm

/ PT425 Lift Arm and Center Link Arm #1  

tlb

Bronze Member
Tractor
PT 425
Can anyone with a PT425 answer a few questions for me. I just replaced the lift arm assembly and center section link arm. I ordered the replacements from PT and dropped off the tractor and parts at a local tractor repair shop. When I got it back, I tried to use the LMB but could not dump it. The lift assembly would not allow the bucket to go past horizontal.

I looked at a PT425 on the PT website and it looks like the repair shop mounted the tile arm correctly, however, it does not allow enough 'throw'
to empty the bucket. I'm guessing one of several things could be wrong: 1) the repair shop mounted the center link arm where the lift assembly link arm should go (they are not the same length), 2) The lift arm throat assembly is backwards, or 3) power trac welded the lift arm throat backwards.

I have attached two photos of the areas in question. I also have another question about bolt size. Can anyone tell me the size wrench needed for the bolt in photo labeled A?. Can anyone tell me the length of the lift assembly link arm labeled B? Can anyone tell me if the lift arm throat assembly is correct or backwards? The throat assembly has a long side and short side. It also has a flat side and angled side. Which end should be connected to the quick attach plate? Can someone tell me the length of the center link arm in the second photo labeled D?
Thanks,
-Tim

Attachments

• Tractor1.jpg
    Tractor1.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 351
  • Tractor2.jpg
    Tractor2.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 317
   / PT425 Lift Arm and Center Link Arm #2  
tlb said:
Can anyone with a PT425 answer a few questions for me. I just replaced the lift arm assembly and center section link arm. I ordered the replacements from PT and dropped off the tractor and parts at a local tractor repair shop. When I got it back, I tried to use the LMB but could not dump it. The lift assembly would not allow the bucket to go past horizontal.

I looked at a PT425 on the PT website and it looks like the repair shop mounted the tile arm correctly, however, it does not allow enough 'throw'
to empty the bucket. I'm guessing one of several things could be wrong: 1) the repair shop mounted the center link arm where the lift assembly link arm should go (they are not the same length), 2) The lift arm throat assembly is backwards, or 3) power trac welded the lift arm throat backwards.

I have attached two photos of the areas in question. I also have another question about bolt size. Can anyone tell me the size wrench needed for the bolt in photo labeled A?. Can anyone tell me the length of the lift assembly link arm labeled B? Can anyone tell me if the lift arm throat assembly is correct or backwards? The throat assembly has a long side and short side. It also has a flat side and angled side. Which end should be connected to the quick attach plate? Can someone tell me the length of the center link arm in the second photo labeled D?
Thanks,
-Tim

I believe that they welded it on upside down. Small end should be at the bottom to give you a longer throw with the quick attach. You can fix some of it by making a tilt bar with more holes for attaching. My 1445 came with two holes on one end. It doesn't have to be round, two pieces of 1/2 steel about 2 in in width welded together, and as long as you want. You can have three holes if you want. The logic is that a short throw on the bottom will give a longer throw at the top and tilt the quick attach plate more. The only other option is to cut it out and weld it right. Please correct me if I am wrong.

/ PT425 Lift Arm and Center Link Arm #3  
I think JJ may be on the right track with the difference in the "throw" between the top and the bottom. However, couldn't you just unbolt the hydraulic cylinder and the link that goes to the QA, rotate it 180 degrees and then reattach the cylinder and link?

/ PT425 Lift Arm and Center Link Arm #4  
I think kent is correct, it looks like you can just spin it around, grease zerks should be on top.
Kris

/ PT425 Lift Arm and Center Link Arm #5  
You have 3 correct answers, here's a 422 showing the straight side being front and upper.
Bill

Last edited:
   / PT425 Lift Arm and Center Link Arm #6  
KentT said:
I think JJ may be on the right track with the difference in the "throw" between the top and the bottom. However, couldn't you just unbolt the hydraulic cylinder and the link that goes to the QA, rotate it 180 degrees and then reattach the cylinder and link?

Just from looking at it , I think the cross member will prevent you from rotating it around. Also, the forward side might not be symmetrical. The froward might side might be flat, and the backside might have an angle built in. My 1445 does. Just a thought for you to consider.

/ PT425 Lift Arm and Center Link Arm #7  
J_J said:
Just from looking at it , I think the cross member will prevent you from rotating it around. Also, the forward side might not be symmetrical. The froward might side might be flat, and the backside might have an angle built in. My 1445 does. Just a thought for you to consider.

There could be a big difference, believe or not. Check out photo.

Neither one is symmetrical. It does make a fifference in how it is set up. Lessons learned by me, but to late.

Attachments

• tilt assembly.JPG
    tilt assembly.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 319
   / PT425 Lift Arm and Center Link Arm #8  
Here is a picture of a 1430 tilt arm, showing flat side forward, and long side down. Go figure. It seems like this arrangement would give a shorter tilt.

Attachments

• arms1.jpg
    arms1.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 261
   / PT425 Lift Arm and Center Link Arm #9  
J_J said:
Here is a picture of a 1430 tilt arm, showing flat side forward, and long side down. Go figure. It seems like this arrangement would give a shorter tilt.
JJ--Are you sure that is a 1430? It looks more like a 2400 series tractor.

/ PT425 Lift Arm and Center Link Arm #10  
J_J said:

The tilt arm on my 1430 is longer on the bottom but is symmetrical. No flat side.