Mowing Relocating an offset pull mower up front on a 425

/ Relocating an offset pull mower up front on a 425 #11  
Whatayaknow! I had a little time before we run to the airport and pick up one of my kids from summer camp.

The patient here is a 44" pull behind finish mower. I purchased for $200 bucks used about 8 mos ago to pull behind the riding mower. Works well and cuts as good as the JD.

I had an old receiver hitch from a '99 Malibu. I inverted it be the basis of a nose wheel. It fit perfectly. Also on the R side (facing the mower) the hith
tubing is open....I will use appropriate size tubing to reattach the pull arm either to the front of the mower or the side and continue to use it behind the JD when needed.

The idea of the hitch came to me while figuring out how to make a removeable nose wheel. Now I just remove the bolt and slide it out...reattach the pull arm and can get the JD going with it again.

Tomorrow or later this week I will fab the mount for the PT. The center of gravity is forward....in line with the engine. Will attach plates just behind the where the hitch is welded to the mower, then come up high enough to clear the motor.

More later.........

Attachments

• DSC03323.JPG
    DSC03323.JPG
    577.3 KB · Views: 296
  • DSC03324.JPG
    DSC03324.JPG
    575.1 KB · Views: 273
  • DSC03325.JPG
    DSC03325.JPG
    545.7 KB · Views: 386
  • DSC03326.JPG
    DSC03326.JPG
    568.9 KB · Views: 375
   / Relocating an offset pull mower up front on a 425 #12  
Red Zebra said:
Whatayaknow! I had a little time before we run to the airport and pick up one of my kids from summer camp.

The patient here is a 44" pull behind finish mower. I purchased for $200 bucks used about 8 mos ago to pull behind the riding mower. Works well and cuts as good as the JD.

I had an old receiver hitch from a '99 Malibu. I inverted it be the basis of a nose wheel. It fit perfectly. Also on the R side (facing the mower) the hith
tubing is open....I will use appropriate size tubing to reattach the pull arm either to the front of the mower or the side and continue to use it behind the JD when needed.

The idea of the hitch came to me while figuring out how to make a removeable nose wheel. Now I just remove the bolt and slide it out...reattach the pull arm and can get the JD going with it again.

Tomorrow or later this week I will fab the mount for the PT. The center of gravity is forward....in line with the engine. Will attach plates just behind the where the hitch is welded to the mower, then come up high enough to clear the motor.

More later.........

$200 bucks!
That sounds like a great buy.
Looking forward to seeing this project connected to the PT.

/ Relocating an offset pull mower up front on a 425 #13  
Anybody still interested in seeing this beast?....it's UUUUUGGGLLLLLLLYYYY!
But it works! Works well for the intended uses...over rough ground, edge of ditch, alongside the driveway (600ft each way), etc.

I got sick, then travled out of town for a week, and busy with work and my builders for the house....have not had much time for PT :( .

Anywho, I'll try posting pics later this week/weekend.

/ Relocating an offset pull mower up front on a 425 #14  
Post some pics man ! We wanna see.

/ Relocating an offset pull mower up front on a 425 #15  
Any updates on this thread. I would like to mow along our road and I need to reach further to one side. I could take it off of my two inch receiver attachment and then link to the finish mower. Maybe put a counter weight on the other side. Let's see some updates and discussion on this. I think even 18 inches of offset would help a lot. This sounds like an awkward setup so I need some input from those who made it work.

/ Relocating an offset pull mower up front on a 425 #16  
Any updates on this thread. I would like to mow along our road and I need to reach further to one side. I could take it off of my two inch receiver attachment and then link to the finish mower. Maybe put a counter weight on the other side. Let's see some updates and discussion on this. I think even 18 inches of offset would help a lot. This sounds like an awkward setup so I need some input from those who made it work.

The set-up never worked well for me and I abandoned it. The front-tire kept getting hung up on rough areas of ground and it would cause the entire mower to lift and start turning/tilting at alarming angles. (the mower...not the PT425.) Probably the swivel mount I designed had too much play in it. The little pull behind stopped running anyway. And I no longer have the need since buying the finish-blade kit for the 48" brush cutter.
----
Have you thought about using a little cheap-o push mower that you could offset like the PT boom mower? A small mower deck with a hydro motor that runs off the PTO would be interesting. Or just hooking up the pull-behind to the rear of the PT ......