Grading Mower Blade question

/ Mower Blade question #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
While I am stuck in LA, I am trying to come up with a plan to resolve my broken mower blade (actually the bolt is broken, extracted and I was about to get some new collars that went MIA when I got onto Sedge and Charlies mower mods).

OK, so basically I could not find any blades that I could easily make my 11" blade out of. (Will still take suggestions but I really looked). I am mulling over having some custom made. The local machine shop wants around $40 per blade and bushing. It would give me an 11" blade, and bushing. The blade being 1/2" thick T1 steel with an bend that creates an updraft.

Just wondered what everyone thought of the price and the plan...

Carl

/ Mower Blade question #2  
Compared to PT's that's not too bad. I think PT charges $28 ea for the ones that fit the 425. No uplift with them. + add for shipping and you're not too far off the mark. Can your shop do them for less if no up lift was modded into them?

/ Mower Blade question #3  
woodlandfarms said:
While I am stuck in LA, I am trying to come up with a plan to resolve my broken mower blade (actually the bolt is broken, extracted and I was about to get some new collars that went MIA when I got onto Sedge and Charlies mower mods).

OK, so basically I could not find any blades that I could easily make my 11" blade out of. (Will still take suggestions but I really looked). I am mulling over having some custom made. The local machine shop wants around $40 per blade and bushing. It would give me an 11" blade, and bushing. The blade being 1/2" thick T1 steel with an bend that creates an updraft.

Just wondered what everyone thought of the price and the plan...

Carl
Perhaps I don't understand all the issues here but it would seem to me that many blades made for commercial 72" mowers, which typically have three spindles and blades of approximately 25" could be cut and drilled to yield 2 blades. There are many suppliers on the web. Here is one: Yardman, Noma, MTD, Snapper, Gator, Honda, Sears, & John Deere Snowblower & Lawn Mower Parts, Mulching Blades, Agricultural Lawn & Garden Chemical Sprayers

/ Mower Blade question
My blades (stock) are 3" X 11" X .375 (3/8") I find a lot of 2 1/2 blades but on many 3" blades... And as for abuse, I really need the .375 or even .5

/ Mower Blade question #5  
Carl,

It is an OK price; you can get 6' pieces of half inch 4140 alloy steel for about $90. from McMaster. But then you have to cut it, drill it, shape it, (if you want lift, and there have been way too many threads on that one), and harden it.

I'm with Bob999; I would try to find half a mower blade that you could cut and be done with it. Given your brush, I'd think about offset blades, or bumper stops to keep from breaking things when you find extra logging equipment the hard way.

All the best,

Peter

woodlandfarms said:
My blades (stock) are 3" X 11" X .375 (3/8") I find a lot of 2 1/2 blades but on many 3" blades... And as for abuse, I really need the .375 or even .5

/ Mower Blade question #6  
Cael,

check out this company.

MetKit Corp - Home Page

Click catalog of parts, click HTML then,

Look under seats and hardware. 3 in steel with a cutting edge in different lengths.

Look also at the large ripper, and log splitter.