Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    2000 Power Trac 422

Default Minihoe Attachments

Has anyone made an attachment for the minihoe? i.e. you remove the bucket and put something else in it's place. I am thinking of a stump removal tool, but there must be other things as well.
    Bob Rip
    Tell me and I will hear.
    Show me and I will see.
    Let me do and I will learn.
    Let me fail and I will understand.

Tractor
    PowerTrac 1850

Default Re: Minihoe Attachments

Funny you bring this up. I found today part of a spring harrow. I am going to weld together a simple a frame, put the tines on, bolt it to the minihoe arm and make myself a blackberry rake... Evertyhing is closed tomorrow so Monday will be the day...
    Power-Trac 1850, grapple, hoe, 90" mower, 72" box blade

Tractor
    2005 Power Trac 422

I was thinking about doing the same thing. I have some extra tines from a dethatcher that I was thinking about making into a rake attachment for the minihoe.

ALternatively, what I would really like is a digging claw in place of the bucket. It would be useful to really break up the soil. My property is on a slope, and the contractor leveled the area for the house almost completely (it seems) with various sized rocks, so digging any holes is a PIA. The minihoe helps, but it seems a claw digger would do a better job of worming between rocks and yanking them loose. The ultimate might be a combination digging and grapple if I can figure out what that would look like.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Now in Port Orchard, WA
    2005 PT-422
    4n1 bucket, minihoe, auger, 48" mower, land pride aerator, tow adaptor, forklift, crane, Herd GT77 spreader, LMB, 60" blade, M1 abrams turret.
    PT422 (6/23/05) photo page

Tractor
    PowerTrac 1850

Is this what you are talking about Tim?
    http://www.how-to-plans.com/backhoe_thumb_plans.html

My Backhoe has a built in thumb... It is manual (not Hydraulic) but it is pretty darn handy... Get it.. Thumb... Handy.... Sorry, it is early...

Wait! Here it is...

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/a...9&d=1188135180
    Power-Trac 1850, grapple, hoe, 90" mower, 72" box blade

Tractor
    Power Trac PT 425

Bob,

I've given some thought to several things I'd like to do with either the hoe or modifying my now-unused HD rock bucket.

1. I'll like to have something bigger than the 9" bucket I have, or even the 12" bucket that PT offers. I'd like to have a larger 16" or maybe 18" bucket for digging and maintaining shallow drainage ditches. Something like a mini "grade-all." I've thought of cutting my rock bucket into three pieces, by cutting each end off. Then weld the two end pieces together to make this larger bucket, while welding new sideplates onto the center section and turning it into something more like a grubbing bucket. If I could straddle the ditch, I could use this bucket to dig and maintain it. If I couldn't straddle it, I could work from the side with the oversized minihoe bucket...

2. Just as a hoe mod itself, having used mine a lot for pulling saplings (either wild holly on my lot, or wild hedge bushes on my friend's property), I'd like something that would allow me to pull saplings larger than about two inches. I've thought of taking two long ripper shanks and fabbing up a mini-hoe mount that spaced them just wide enough to clear the thumb on each side. Then, welding a "toothed" serrated cross-bar between them that would mate up with the end of the thumb, so the cross-bar would pinch against the thumb. To use it, position the thumb against the base of the sapling and curl the ripper shanks. The ripper shanks would curl on each side of the trunk of the sapling, tearing through roots on two sides. Pinch the trunk of the sapling between the serrated cross-bar and the thumb, and pull it up and out...

I think this ripper-shank idea would also be useful for handling logs, large rocks, etc., in addition to just ripping out saplings...

Note that I'm trying to rip out the undergrowth by the roots so that I don't have to deal with sprouts -- cut off a 2" wild holly and one year later you'll have a half-dozen or more sprouts out of that small stump... I can pull bigger saplings than 2" now, if I "dig them out" by curling the bucket into the ground behind them, but I don't want to be digging holes all over the place to then need to fill it... I just want to pull them out, similar to hand-weeding a garden...

Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_in_CT
    I was thinking about doing the same thing. I have some extra tines from a dethatcher that I was thinking about making into a rake attachment for the minihoe.

ALternatively, what I would really like is a digging claw in place of the bucket. It would be useful to really break up the soil. My property is on a slope, and the contractor leveled the area for the house almost completely (it seems) with various sized rocks, so digging any holes is a PIA. The minihoe helps, but it seems a claw digger would do a better job of worming between rocks and yanking them loose. The ultimate might be a combination digging and grapple if I can figure out what that would look like.
    How about something like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    J.J.

When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

Git er done.

Tractor

Here are some more pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    J.J.

Git er done.

Tractor
    2005 Power Trac 422

yep, exactly what I was thinking.

I have some mild 1/4" steel plate that I could make into something like this, but I am thinking that it won't last long in this application, should be some hardened steel.

I seem to remember this being sold on ebay or elsewhere, JJ do you remember where this comes from?
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Now in Port Orchard, WA
    2005 PT-422
    4n1 bucket, minihoe, auger, 48" mower, land pride aerator, tow adaptor, forklift, crane, Herd GT77 spreader, LMB, 60" blade, M1 abrams turret.
    PT422 (6/23/05) photo page

Tractor
    2000 Power Trac 422

Sounds like I should buy, rather than build the ripper. Anybody got sources?
    Bob Rip
    Tell me and I will hear.
    Show me and I will see.
    Let me do and I will learn.
    Let me fail and I will understand.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Tim_in_CT
    yep, exactly what I was thinking.

I have some mild 1/4" steel plate that I could make into something like this, but I am thinking that it won't last long in this application, should be some hardened steel.

I seem to remember this being sold on ebay or elsewhere, J do you remember where this comes from?
    MetKit Corp - Home Page

Look under New Products. I believe that it comes in pieces, and you weld it. It is 3/4 in thick, and 22 in long.

This unit will let you put a lot of forcei n a small area.
    J.J.

Git er done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast