Grease on Joints

/ Grease on Joints #1  

BobRip

Elite Member
Tractor
2000 Power Trac 422
Is anyone concerned with using a spary lubricant on the lift arm joints instead of grease? Is this really effective?

I have considered (just thinking out loud) drilling a hole through the bolt from the head end to where the center of the joint is. Then drill into the bolt radially to this first hole. Then you could put a grease fitting in the head and pump grease in. Would this be worth it, or will these joints last forever with just a spray on lubricant.

/ Grease on Joints #2  
I have tried oily spray lubricants and dry spray lubricants. I prefer the dry spray lubricant because it is cleaner and I believe causes less wear to the joint. I used Super Lube dry spray for several years. I am now using Slipplate graphite spray because it is easier to find locally than super lube spray and less expensive. However, super lube spray is less messy to apply than the graphite spray. Personally, I see no need for adding a grease fittings to the lift joints on my machine. I cannot remember reading about more than one joint failure. It appeared to be metal failure rather than a worn joint.

Dale

/ Grease on Joints #3  
DHS said:
I have tried oily spray lubricants and dry spray lubricants. I prefer the dry spray lubricant because it is cleaner and I believe causes less wear to the joint. I used Super Lube dry spray for several years. I am now using Slipplate graphite spray because it is easier to find locally than super lube spray and less expensive. However, super lube spray is less messy to apply than the graphite spray. Personally, I see no need for adding a grease fittings to the lift joints on my machine. I cannot remember reading about more than one joint failure. It appeared to be metal failure rather than a worn joint.

Dale
Red spray grease caused this mess as you can see in the background. It's all I had around my shop at the time? All it does is collect dirt, dust which can cause more wear on the joints. I will be giving the PT a good cleaning soon this will be removed.

I may take your advice and use the Lipplate graphite spray. Does it cause less collection of dirt when digging with the bucket? :confused:

Attachments

• grapplebucket14.JPG
    grapplebucket14.JPG
    437 KB · Views: 206
   / Grease on Joints #4  
Barry,

Slipplate spray is messy to apply. I wear surgical gloves. Super Lube dry spray is less messy and I don't wear gloves. Both products are dry and do not collect dirt or debris at the joint. I have also used Commet graphite spray used for snowmobile clutch. It works as well as the other two products but is considerably more expensive.

Dale

/ Grease on Joints #5  
DHS said:
Barry,

Slipplate spray is messy to apply. I wear surgical gloves. Super Lube dry spray is less messy and I don't wear gloves. Both products are dry and do not collect dirt or debris at the joint. I have also used Commet graphite spray used for snowmobile clutch. It works as well as the other two products but is considerably more expensive. Dale
I'll have to check into those products. Dale thanks for the information. ;)

/ Grease on Joints #6  
BobRip said:
Is anyone concerned with using a spary lubricant on the lift arm joints instead of grease? Is this really effective?

I have considered (just thinking out loud) drilling a hole through the bolt from the head end to where the center of the joint is. Then drill into the bolt radially to this first hole. Then you could put a grease fitting in the head and pump grease in. Would this be worth it, or will these joints last forever with just a spray on lubricant.

I thought about doing that at one time, also. Some day I may.

As for the spray grease, I use white lithium grease and hold a shop rag behind the joint before I spray it. This keeps overspray to a minimum. I like the white grease as I can see where I sprayed it. And yes, it does seem to collect dirt. But think of it this way.... the joint is similar to the ball on the back of a 3point hitch arm. Have you ever heard any stories about that joint failing? I haven't. I had that old IH 2500B from the 70s and it was one abused machine. I never lubed those joints and they always worked. I think as long as you keep the PT joints lubed, they should be just fine and probably outlast the machine.

/ Grease on Joints #7  
Dear MR,

I agree. Given the stresses on these joints, I don't think that these aren't the places to worry about lubrication failure on these machines. If you are really worried, I highly recommend Fluoramics Lubit grease. But you could pay for a lot of custom rewelding by the time the joints actually fail.

Given the design/build features of the PT, I believe that PT could have a better grip on what causes failure on their machines. Personally I think that hydraulic fluid cleanliness and filtering, oil filters, articulation hinge are all points of concern for me. Oh, and how many of us have done something to remove the abrasion points on our hoses? I found a hose that was cut down to the metal over the weekend. I assume it was during the installation process, but the edge of my tunnel was knife sharp, ready to do more damage.

Don't get me wrong. I love the machine, but it does have some (correctable) warts.

All the best,

Peter

MossRoad said:

As for the spray grease, I use white lithium grease and hold a shop rag behind the joint before I spray it. This keeps overspray to a minimum. I like the white grease as I can see where I sprayed it. And yes, it does seem to collect dirt. But think of it this way.... the joint is similar to the ball on the back of a 3point hitch arm. Have you ever heard any stories about that joint failing? I haven't. I had that old IH 2500B from the 70s and it was one abused machine. I never lubed those joints and they always worked. I think as long as you keep the PT joints lubed, they should be just fine and probably outlast the machine.

/ Grease on Joints #8  
DHS said:
Barry,

Slipplate spray is messy to apply. I wear surgical gloves. Super Lube dry spray is less messy and I don't wear gloves. Both products are dry and do not collect dirt or debris at the joint. I have also used Commet graphite spray used for snowmobile clutch. It works as well as the other two products but is considerably more expensive.

Dale
Hmmm not crazy about using anything where I need to use gloves. .;) Guess I'll check locally for the Super Lube dry unless you have a good online source for it. :eek:

/ Grease on Joints #9  
MossRoad said:

I tend to agree, just enough is good, any more is just wasted, and will collect dirt. I would suggest wiping all the excess off. Grease on the outside is not being used. What kind of grease, what ever you are used to using. There is no magic grease. Some people grab the grease gun every 8 hours, or every time they use the machine. If you are using a lot of grease, there is something wrong, usually a sign of worn parts.

/ Grease on Joints #10  
I've regularly spray lubed the joints as suggested, but have a LOT of play in the joints after 545 hours on PT-425.

However, the play is due to the ball turning on the bolt! Not sure if the bolt or the ball is worn.

I've continued to spray lube the bolt, also.

At some point, I'll take a bolt out to see what all the wear is.

Mark H.