Steel buildings or Wood ?

/ Steel buildings or Wood ? #1  

Barryh

Veteran Member
Harpers Ferry WV - Mountains of Shannondale
Tractor
Former owner of a P T -180 / Kubota BX-1500 .. A Craftsman Yard Tractor / John Deere 140 H-1 / Cub Cadet 108. And now ( Little Red ) a Power Trac 1425
Thinking about adding on to my little shed in the back this spring. Any recommendations for smaller steel / metal buildings say in the 10 x 20 to 15 X 25 ft range. Anyone own one, are you happy with it? Pro's con's ? looking for something economical but somewhat decent any preferences?

I want something large enough that I can setup a small shop area, and could store a tractor or two along with my PT attachments etc. I'm thinking it's more cost effective to build my own using wood.

I don't anticipate putting in cement block. Just a wood floor or pre-made flooring of some type. Would like to hear your experiences with steel buildings pictures of your setup inside out would be great. I'm out growing my two car garage :rolleyes:

/ Steel buildings or Wood ? #2  
Barry, I put up a small (8 x 8) shed at the condo we lived in while building the house. While it was very useful, one thing I noticed was that you could not just drive a nail into the wall and hang up something. Or mount a shelf without buying one from the manufacturer. I promised myself that I would never buy a metal framed shed again. Just one point of view to consider.

/ Steel buildings or Wood ?
BobRip said:
Barry, I put up a small (8 x 8) shed at the condo we lived in while building the house. While it was very useful, one thing I noticed was that you could not just drive a nail into the wall and hang up something. Or mount a shelf without buying one from the manufacturer. I promised myself that I would never buy a metal framed shed again. Just one point of view to consider.
Good point. Thinking if I build my own it would be built to last. I could also customize attachment hangers and shelves. Not sure if the larger steel buildings come with some sort of built in shelving brackets for not. :cool: Wondering how the optional framed floor inserts work and if there any good.

/ Steel buildings or Wood ? #4  
Large buildings sometimes have wood frames even if the siding is metal.

/ Steel buildings or Wood ? #5  
Barryh said:
Good point. Thinking if I build my own it would be built to last. I could also customize attachment hangers and shelves. Not sure if the larger steel buildings come with some sort of built in shelving brackets for not. :cool: Wondering how the optional framed floor inserts work and if there any good.
Another thing to keep in mind is that metal building "sweat" -- i.e. water will condense on the inside metal skin under certain circumstances in areas of higher humidity. Consequently, insulating them becomes a real challenge if you're considering a heated workshop at some point. It can be done, but it's not as easy as stapling in a bat of fiberglass from HD or Lowes...

Wood ones will not sweat...

KentT said:
Another thing to keep in mind is that metal building "sweat" -- i.e. water will condense on the inside metal skin under certain circumstances in areas of higher humidity. Consequently, insulating them becomes a real challenge if you're considering a heated workshop at some point. It can be done, but it's not as easy as stapling in a bat of fiberglass from HD or Lowes...

Wood ones will not sweat...
Hmmm another good point. The area is out in the woods behind my house doesn't get a lot sun. There seems to be lots of green fungus and moss on some of the trees out there. Stays fairly wet most of the time. I think the case is made for a wood enlarged shed / building area. Didn't realize these steel buildings had wood floors thought it was also a metal frame setup. Thanks for the input guys. :eek:

BobRip said:
Bob,

if my memory serve's me right. Didn't you have some sort of added roof or something to one of your sheds around the back side, where you drove the PT up to it and could hang up attachments?

Think they were more or less outside but protected from rain. How did that work out? Do you still use that and did you leave them outside all year round? How about rust? Or was that someone else. :eek:

/ Steel buildings or Wood ? #8  
Barryh said:
Bob,

if my memory serve's me right. Didn't you have some sort of added roof or something to one of your sheds around the back side, where you drove the PT up to it and could hang up attachments?

Think they were more or less outside but protected from rain. How did that work out? Do you still use that and did you leave them outside all year round? How about rust? Or was that someone else. :eek:

Yes, that was me. I think it is working fine. It's mostly downwind from the prevailing wind. I have not seen any issues and it is very convenient as well as cheap and easy. It is enclosed on three sides and the open side faces NWN. See attachment.

Attachments

• Attachment Storage.JPG
    Attachment Storage.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 318
BobRip said:
Yes, that was me. I think it is working fine. It's mostly downwind from the prevailing wind. I have not seen any issues and it is very convenient as well as cheap and easy. It is enclosed on three sides and the open side faces NWN. See attachment.
Looks like a convenient and smart idea. Only thing that comes to mind. Around here I might worry a little about someone stealing something. Even though I have never had a problem, other people on the mountain have reported things stolen.

Would defiantly help free up some room in my garage. Or at least until I can get around to constructing a new building. I would put some doors on it though, if for no other reason to keep someone guessing at what might be in there. :cool:

/ Steel buildings or Wood ? #10  
Barryh said:
Looks like a convenient and smart idea. Only thing that comes to mind. Around here I might worry a little about someone stealing something. Even though I have never had a problem, other people on the mountain have reported things stolen.

Would defiantly help free up some room in my garage. Or at least until I can get around to constructing a new building. I would put some doors on it though, if for no other reason to keep someone guessing at what might be in there. :cool:

I thought about running a chain down through the middle of the open side. You could run it through the attachment quick attach plates or at least put a pad lock through the holes in the plate. We really don't have a theft problem here and who would want a PT attachment. It's a very small market.