Winches Hydraulic Winch question

/ Hydraulic Winch question #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
I think Peter just brought this up, and it has interested me as there is another conversation about NOT using electrical winches with tractors...

So, how do you reduce 18GPM and 3000PSI to 3GPM and 1500PSI? I would think the best way to hook up a winch would be through the PTO, letting it bypass for the most part and alllow some to go the the winch.

It is really just a novice Hydarulics question. Wondering how one would plumb in such a system...

Carl

/ Hydraulic Winch question #2  
woodlandfarms said:
I think Peter just brought this up, and it has interested me as there is another conversation about NOT using electrical winches with tractors...

So, how do you reduce 18GPM and 3000PSI to 3GPM and 1500PSI? I would think the best way to hook up a winch would be through the PTO, letting it bypass for the most part and alllow some to go the the winch.

It is really just a novice Hydarulics question. Wondering how one would plumb in such a system...

Carl

To reduce the 18 gpm's down to 3 gpm's, just insert a restricter in line with the motor. It looks like a washer with a small hole. As far as reducing the pressure, a relief valve set at 1500 psi would relieve the pressure at 1500 psi, and send the excess back to tank.

/ Hydraulic Winch question #3  
Carl, I have rigged up a Warn Series 6 industrial hydraulic winch for my 1845 with just a simple motor spool valve running off the PTO (motor) circuit. The series 6 (6000 lb) and series 9 (9000 lbs) are both rated for 15 gpm and around 2500 psi. No additional flow restrictors or releif valves needed.

I think the 3 gpm & 1500 psi numbers you refer to may be for a MileMarker hyd winch that is designed to run off a power steering pump.

Go with a Warn, Ramsy or Dayton industrial type winch and you should have no problems. Not cheap or often discounted, but will work at full rating all day and still be pulling 20 years from now.

I run 150 ft of 1/4" high strength cable (plus a 50 ft extention sometimes) on my 6000 lb Warn to skid big beetle-killed Pondarosa trees up from places I can not get the tractor. If the log hangs up it will even try to skid the tractor with all wheels locked by the BrakeTender. Winch will stall before breaking anything.

Probably skidded 100 trees.....no problems at all. I run the engine at mid-throttle and turn on the PTO switch....I then have full control of the winch speed and direction with the spool valve. Also has a free-wheeling clutch to pull cable out.

Rip

/ Hydraulic Winch question
Cool! I was indeed looking at the milemarker brand.. Will do some research.

Carl

/ Hydraulic Winch question #5  
The hydraulic MileMarker winches are the only ones I would consider for a 4x4 PU or other vehicle that wants a winch for serious use rather than just-in-case or just to look good. They have been designed to work off the limited hydraulic supply of a power steering pump, and actually work quite well (military uses them on HumVees). They are not a good choice for tractors with higher hyd capabilities however.

About the only situation where a 4x4 may be better off with an electric winch would be a stream crossing where engine died and one only needed to be pulled 15 ft or so. Otherwise batt will die as well.

/ Hydraulic Winch question #7  
Depending on what you actually intend to use it for, that Series 12 may be serious overkill, but is the type I was talking about. New that would be around $1200 to $1500.

But, hey...if the $$ is right?

/ Hydraulic Winch question #8  
Rip said:
Depending on what you actually intend to use it for, that Series 12 may be serious overkill, but is the type I was talking about. New that would be around $1200 to $1500.

But, hey...if the $$ is right?
I can hear the loud laughter in the background from here, but this is the winch I'll be buying for my occasional use around here for the PT of course. If for no other reason, it has my curiosity. I've bought things from Chicago Electric before and was plesanty surprised at how well they worked and held up.

I figure if it burns up or does not pull a load, or the braking does not hold. Then for $50.00 it might make a good paper weight. What the hey :rolleyes:

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

/ Hydraulic Winch question #9  
I buy more than my share of "stuff" from Harbor Freight also, and have been satisfied often enough to keep going back. For occasional light use that little unit may well work for you. Not sure I would put much faith in that 2000 lb rating however.

Good Luck

/ Hydraulic Winch question #10  
Rip said:
I buy more than my share of "stuff" from Harbor Freight also, and have been satisfied often enough to keep going back. For occasional light use that little unit may well work for you. Not sure I would put much faith in that 2000 lb rating however.

Good Luck
If I can skid a tree or two, might be fun. If not I can always buy a better one. ;) Trees come down around here small and large. I of course can pick them up with my PT, but every once in a while they are across a fence line or at an awkward angle. Figure I can use it to skid them out to where I can get to them. So I'm not crawling around back in ravines and getting flat tires. :rolleyes: