Tree remover

/ Tree remover #11  
I wonder if you could make a tree remover that attaches onto a minihoe and uses its length and cylinder as part of the lever. The tree remover would then be a lot shorter and lighter.

/ Tree remover
3238dpw said:
Even if they are using the lift height of the skid steer, there is nothing saying after you lift it as high as the PT will go you couldn't just let go and take another bite lower on the tree.

Yes, you could reach down and take another bite, but you might stand the skid steer on it's nose if you have some deep roots, . They are getting their best torque from the nose of the arm which is being used as a lever, and then the skid steer lift does the rest. Notice the plate on the end which is used as a support pad. They are using the lever principle.

/ Tree remover #13  
   / Tree remover #14  
Well, think about it a second... you hook up anything stationary to the FEL arms on a PT, lift the arms all the way up and step on the reverse treadle and see what happens. The tractor will quickly tip on its nose.

/ Tree remover #15  
Oh I see, it doesn't really have to do with the regripping then. I was just referring to the fact that if the attachment would lift the tree, but was just limited by the lift height, that you could just regrip.

/ Tree remover
   / Tree remover #17  
3238dpw said:
Oh I see, it doesn't really have to do with the regripping then. I was just referring to the fact that if the attachment would lift the tree, but was just limited by the lift height, that you could just regrip.

Your orignal thought is correct... if you get it a bit out of the ground and reach your lift height, you could probably regrip lower and pry it out some more, regrip, pry, etc... I just wonder what that kind of leverage would do to the lift arms on the PT?

/ Tree remover #18  
BobRip said:
I wonder if you could make a tree remover that attaches onto a minihoe and uses its length and cylinder as part of the lever. The tree remover would then be a lot shorter and lighter.

I have the impression that the mini-hoe arm is probably not designed to take this kind of load. I'd expect to see quick failures due to buckling, unless you really beefed up the arm. Of course, massive strength boosts to the arm to prevent buckling will make the mini-hoe itself of less value due to the greater weight.

John

/ Tree remover #19  
Surely this is just basic lever action- If you have 800lbs of lift, and can lift 4', and you need 80,000lbs of lift, you will need a 100:1 length ration between tractor to the grip, and the foot pad and grip.

Skidsteers clearly have an advantage in both lift height and lift force compared to the 425, but it is just math...

All the best,

Peter

/ Tree remover #20  
sawdust_maker said:
I have the impression that the mini-hoe arm is probably not designed to take this kind of load. I'd expect to see quick failures due to buckling, unless you really beefed up the arm. Of course, massive strength boosts to the arm to prevent buckling will make the mini-hoe itself of less value due to the greater weight.

John

With the foot on the tree remover, you have leverage and the 800 pounds of lift from the pt will be multipled by a factor or 3 or more. No loads will be put on the minihoe that are greater than normal because you are limited by the PT weight or the relief valves.