Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    Tractor
    2000 Power Trac 422

Default Re: Tree remover

Quote Originally Posted by RegL
    Why not tie off 20' up the tree and use it's trunk as the lever as long as it is strong enough.
    You know I have done that, but never compared that to the tree remover that we have been discussing. Even with a 20 foot lever (the tree), I cannot pull the tree over without cutting many roots. I used a high lift jack to pull the tree and a comealong. I probably had several thousand pounds on the tree.

With the tree puller, I can apply lift to the tree. I was told by a lumber jack friend that trees are a lot easier to pull up versus sideways. If you think about it, in nature there is very little lifting force on a tree, but most trees see a lot of side forces from wind and are adapted to it. Life is very efficient and does not waste effort on things it does not need.
    Bob Rip
    Tell me and I will hear.
    Show me and I will see.
    Let me do and I will learn.
    Let me fail and I will understand.

Tractor
    PT 1430

Quote Originally Posted by BobRip
    You know I have done that, but never compared that to the tree remover that we have been discussing. Even with a 20 foot lever (the tree), I cannot pull the tree over without cutting many roots. I used a high lift jack to pull the tree and a comealong. I probably had several thousand pounds on the tree.

With the tree puller, I can apply lift to the tree. I was told by a lumber jack friend that trees are a lot easier to pull up versus sideways. If you think about it, in nature there is very little lifting force on a tree, but most trees see a lot of side forces from wind and are adapted to it. Life is very efficient and does not waste effort on things it does not need.
    Bob, I know what your saying about trees adapting to their environment, but it's been my experience that on small trees that I can't lift out with the loader, I can easily raise the bucket a ways and push them over.
    How about a stouter version of one of these. You would get both lift and pull.

Ideal Alternative to a Tree Spade

Tractor
    2000 Power Trac 422

Very interesting. I have to think about this.
    Bob Rip
    Tell me and I will hear.
    Show me and I will see.
    Let me do and I will learn.
    Let me fail and I will understand.

Tractor
    Power-Trac PT425 (planned)

I realize this thread is five years old, but in trying to look at the Tree Jack recently, I found that the original link in this thread is not working. Here is a working link to the Tree Jack: Skid Steer Tree Jack - A tree removing attachment for your skid steer, for use in land clearing skid steer applications

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567