Univeral 3 pt adaptor

/ Univeral 3 pt adaptor #1  

marrt

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1845 and 425
When I first got my 425, I was a little disappointed with its digging ability. One day, I decided to attach the "Potato Digger" plow to loosen the dirt first. This worked great and I had no problem digging out several FEET of dirt for a new deck project. Recently, I needed to level a pad for a new pole barn. Even though my 1845 has a lot more power and weight than the 425, it still struggles with hard packed clay dirt. Since I don't have a Potato digger for the 1845, I thought I'd just order one from Power Trac. Not to start another "Power Tracs are not cheaper in my opinion" thread but I was BLOWN AWAY by the $400 asking price. With shipping, I would be looking at $500 probably. Since I know that Moss will ask for some numbers :), here are a few numbers of Power Trac attachments versus the Tractor Supply 3 pt:

+ Potato Digger: $400 vs $126
+ Boom Pole: $400 vs. $90
+ Box Blade: (still available?) vs. $420
+ Forks: $1600 (adjustable) vs. $125 (Carry All)
+ Bale Spear: $420 vs. $200

For these non-powered attachments that I would only use occasionally, I don't see why one couldn't create a universal 3 pt adapter and weld it to a PT attach plate. This would provide the ability to buy or borrow a non-powered 3 pt when needed. Has anyone thought about this or worked through a design?

/ Univeral 3 pt adaptor #2  
marrt said:
When I first got my 425, I was a little disappointed with its digging ability. One day, I decided to attach the "Potato Digger" plow to loosen the dirt first. This worked great and I had no problem digging out several FEET of dirt for a new deck project. Recently, I needed to level a pad for a new pole barn. Even though my 1845 has a lot more power and weight than the 425, it still struggles with hard packed clay dirt. Since I don't have a Potato digger for the 1845, I thought I'd just order one from Power Trac. Not to start another "Power Tracs are not cheaper in my opinion" thread but I was BLOWN AWAY by the $400 asking price. With shipping, I would be looking at $500 probably. Since I know that Moss will ask for some numbers :), here are a few numbers of Power Trac attachments versus the Tractor Supply 3 pt:

For these non-powered attachments that I would only use occasionally, I don't see why one couldn't create a universal 3 pt adapter and weld it to a PT attach plate. This would provide the ability to buy or borrow a non-powered 3 pt when needed. Has anyone thought about this or worked through a design?

These work well. Lackender has the patterns for PT attachment plates. I've used mine with TSC box blade and landscape rake. This adaptor also has a receiver hitch. I found out about them right here on the PT forum after someone posted pictures of his. scroll down to the bottom of the page.
Lackender Skid-Loader Backhoe Attachments

/ Univeral 3 pt adaptor #3  
marrt said:

I think a 3pt hitch adapter has been discussed more than a few times. On the larger units, it really makes sense, as 3pt attachments are available just about everywhere. It will add some weight to the total lift, but on the larger units, that shouldn't be that big of a concern.

/ Univeral 3 pt adaptor
You guys are right. Woodlandfarms posted a picture. I guess I need to use search more (or always read every thread regardless of title). Don't know how I missed it.

/ Univeral 3 pt adaptor #5  
I posted directly to Tom but I will put it in here as well. I got a 3p plus plate from Lackender. He was quite good to me, but he did mess up Ken Simolo's order pretty bad. I think his stuff is first rate and the mistake was Lackenders but an honest one.

That all said, as I remember it was like $400 or so for the 3pt. It is super heavy duty and has a tow pipe on it as well. I had Lackender make me a little adapter so I could raise or lower a side to get some angle work done.

Ken should chime in, he is much smarter than me and remembers detail stuff.

Carl

/ Univeral 3 pt adaptor #6  
woodlandfarms said:
I posted directly to Tom but I will put it in here as well. I got a 3p plus plate from Lackender. He was quite good to me, but he did mess up Ken Simolo's order pretty bad. I think his stuff is first rate and the mistake was Lackenders but an honest one.

That all said, as I remember it was like $400 or so for the 3pt. It is super heavy duty and has a tow pipe on it as well. I had Lackender make me a little adapter so I could raise or lower a side to get some angle work done.

Ken should chime in, he is much smarter than me and remembers detail stuff.

Carl

Carl, do you have a picture of the little adapter? Is it an add on or does the attachment have to be modified?

/ Univeral 3 pt adaptor #7  
Saddly, I am down in LA warming my toes by the fire... We are in the middle of this vastly large city (if you have never been here, LA and its environs is over 100 miles wide, now bigger than Belgium), so no threat to our personal happiness, but I have a lot of friend in the Malbu and Saugus area and probably a couple that have homes in Big Bear so, yes, in a long winded way, my heart goes out to those people. No one lost anything but many had to spend a few nights on friends couches.

But, because I am in LA I cannot get you any fresh pix. Here is the 3pt I purchased from Lackender, the only photo I have... At the lower right of the picture you can see where the box blade attaches to the 3pt. Picture if you will a simple peice of half inch steel with 3 holes in it (like a 3" wide by 9" long piece with 3 holes). Also picture a lip on the center hole that fits around the flange of the lower holder on the 3pt. Basically if you want to raise or lower the device, you bolt this on in the center bolt and connect your device to the higher or lower bolt. The flange keeps the lower corner from walking in and out...

I hope it makes sense. Give me a month and I will be home I hope.

Carl

Attachments

• IMG_4313.jpg
    IMG_4313.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 230
   / Univeral 3 pt adaptor #8  
One other thing on the 3PT. it is a P I T A. Like in a HUGE way. My version is very heavy so nearly impossible for me to lift to connect with my Box Blade (Currently my only 3PT attachment). I hook it onto the tractor, and then monkey around with height and position for an eternity, Just like a CUT.

It may make more sense to have a number of QA Plates made up and weld them onto your implement. At 400 for shipping I bet you can get at least 4 plates if not more made locally.

/ Univeral 3 pt adaptor #9  
I think the best solution is to have one 3 pt adapter and also have a bunch of extra plates to weld to dedicated equipment for the PT. I have a 3 pt lifting boom from the tractor supply company that would take a fair amount of metal to properly attach a plate to but the 3 pt adapter works well on this. But I have an old snow plow from a truck that has a plate welded to it. Having the adapter is nice because I share some equipment with my brother and you might end up borrowing something like a york rake from someone.

The 3 pt adapter is a little harder to hook up to a piece of equipment than a 3 pt on a tractor since you do not have one arm that you can raise or lower to align the pin. If I had to hook it up to something extremely heavy, it might be easier to hook it to the implement first but so far, for a back blade, box blade, and lifting boom, it has been easy enough to hook up with it connected to the tractor. Normally, I leave it hooked up to a piece of equipment until I need it for another piece of equipment. There is one change I will likely make. He has it designed so that most equipment hooks up without an adjustable top link. That has worked for everything but the lifting boom. If he welded the tabs for his top link connection a little farther apart, my adjustable top link would fit. Right now, I just use a piece of thin Unistrut as an adjustable top link since it has the evenly space holes already in it.

Lackender can make the extra plates at a reasonable cost. Prices may have changed (steel has gone up a lot!) but my 3 pt adapter with an adapter plate on it was $425. He also sold a very nice adjustable pallet fork for $625. His buckets are well made and I am very happy with the mini hoe. I have already gotten my money's worth out of the mini hoe, 3 pt adapter, and forks. Unfortunately, he made the first set of adapter plates wrong but I caught the mistake before Carl's were shipped. He sent me new plates but it was not until recently that I was able to get them welded on. I found Randy to be a very nice person to deal with and highly recommend him.

Ken

Attachments

• 3pt_backblade_4089.jpg
    3pt_backblade_4089.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 200
   / Univeral 3 pt adaptor
Does anyone know if the 1850 adapter plate is the same size as the 1845 plate? The 1845 plate is 21" wide by 11" tall. I was thinking they were the same (along with the 1430). If so, Lackender should already have the pattern.