Dual wheels

/ Dual wheels #1  

ponytug

Tractor
Power Trac PT1445
Anyone ever seen these in action, either on an ATV or a tractor?

Since not everyone wants duallies all the time, a Swiss company has come out with "Clic" dual wheels...

It appears that they are the manufacturer of the dual wheels for the Swiss counterpart to the PT, the Aebi TC.

They have a photo of a Bobcat hauling dirt with the wheels attached.
bobcat.jpg
which would seem to suggest that they can take quite a bit of lateral force.

Might help on those snowy days or steep, muddy slopes.

A 4x4 ATV review said that their ATV no longer lost traction with a pair installed. It also mentioned that a pair will set you back close to $895, but I guess that it might be cheaper than a 1845...

Just a thought...

All the best,

Peter

/ Dual wheels #2  
That is a neat concept.....since there are usually only a few times where one really needs duals, and they are otherwise a real pain to take on/off. They could be a viable alternative to tracks on an ATV or SSL (or PT of course !).

I am guessing the price you mentioned for a pair for ATV is for the adaptors only....the second set of wheels & tires would be in addition. Models suitable for SkidSteers or Pick-up would probably be even more? It is Swiss-made after all! The way the dollars has been going, figure another 30-40% again.

Rip

/ Dual wheels #3  
On the PT 1850, it takes 7 - 8 minutes to put the duals on or off. If one really wanted to rush it, it could be done in probably 4 - 5 minutes.

Ken

/ Dual wheels #4  
On thing you have to watch with duals is the same thing some of us are concerned with on reversing the wheels for a wider stance... that is if you get the outside edges of the tires up on something, it puts a tremendous load on the wheel motor shaft. Power Trac does not recommend duals on the PT425 for that reason. Just something to think about.

/ Dual wheels #5  
I've produced two movies on Nascar in the past few years. When we are standing around waiting on something I tend to gravitate toward hanging with the pit crew and drivers... We do a lot of dinking around and tire changing always comes up as a fun game to pass the time by. It is funny now owning a PT that eats Valve Stems for lunch that all those times dinking around on the track have come in very handy on the 1850... If I am really in the mood and have kneepads on I can get my 1850 under 2 minutes by myself. Now, that isn't the 11 second 4 tires and gas I see happening with the pro's but it makes me smile...

Carl

/ Dual wheels #6  
MossRoad said:
On thing you have to watch with duals is the same thing some of us are concerned with on reversing the wheels for a wider stance... that is if you get the outside edges of the tires up on something, it puts a tremendous load on the wheel motor shaft. Power Trac does not recommend duals on the PT425 for that reason. Just something to think about.

Not that we need to rehash all this again, but I just had a thought ( I know, that doesn't happen to often.). Are the wheel motors on the 18xx tractors that much sturdier than the other PT's. Maybe duel and reversed wheels is not to much of an issue.

/ Dual wheels #7  
Peter,
That looks like two tires on the same rim, but after looking at the link, I understand now.

A couple of years ago, I saw something similar, where someone had welded two rims together, and cut the center out of one rim.

Last edited:
   / Dual wheels #8  
RegL said:
Not that we need to rehash all this again, but I just had a thought ( I know, that doesn't happen to often.). Are the wheel motors on the 18xx tractors that much sturdier than the other PT's. Maybe duel and reversed wheels is not to much of an issue.

Short answer...YES. The 1845's use Char-Lynn 4000 series motors with embedded HD roller bearings. Similar to this motor: Surplus Center Item Detail. I believe the older 4xx's use a White roller stator. At one point, I researched these motors. You can pull a chart from the manufacturer that graphs the load limits of the motors.

/ Dual wheels #9  
marrt said:
Short answer...YES. The 1845's use Char-Lynn 4000 series motors with embedded HD roller bearings. Similar to this motor: Surplus Center Item Detail. I believe the older 4xx's use a White roller stator. At one point, I researched these motors. You can pull a chart from the manufacturer that graphs the load limits of the motors.

The new 425s use a White CE 430 series motor with a 1.25" tapered shaft and needle roller bearings. The old 425s (and new 418s and 422s, I think) use a 1.00" tapered shaft and White RS series motors with needle thrust bearings. It appears that RS is rated for more than 1400 lbs (as far as the graph goes) at the center of the centerline of the key at over 100 RPM, while the CE 430 is rated for roughly 2,500 lbs....

The graphs aren't formatted the same, so it's really hard to tell exactly what the max allowable load on the RS really is. The RS graph shows RPM as a variable, while the CE graph shows distance from the mounting plate as a variable, while 100 RPM is a constant.

Still, I still think the Char-Lynn 4000 series will handle a much heavier side load than the White CEs, going from memory of when I was researching my planned upgrade. I don't have a copy of the 4000 series specs handy, only the S series that I ended up ordering...