1430 mini-hoe (Lackender vs PT)

/ 1430 mini-hoe (Lackender vs PT) #1  

IrTxRx

Silver Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1430
I will finally be purchasing my PT 1430 with the following attachments:
Brushcutter, Grapple, LM bucket,wheel trencher, +/- cement mixer, and mini-hoe. I know there are some who have the Lackender and many who have the PT mini-hoe and feel that this is their most appreciated attachment (with thumb of course!!!)

The Lackender is about $600-$800 more than PT (plus additional shipping vs adding to PT shipping order).

My main uses will be:

1.) digging approx 4 ft down in soft dirt behind Lake house retaining wall X 35 ft

2.) cleaning out ditches beside 1/4 mile dirt drive (e.g. mini-mini-gradall) some soft, but mostly hard packed

3.) used after wheel trencher to clean out trench for conduit or water pipe...very hard soil to rock

4.)With thumb using as a grapple boom (to pick up landscape rocks), moving large pieces of brush, holding large logs for chainsaw, and grubbing out small trees/brush (again mostly hard pack to rock)

How well is the mini-hoe +thumb suited to these tasks? Are there tasks to which one brand will be superior to the other? Will the the additional strength (and weight) of the Lackender be an overall advantage or liability on the 1430 (or other PT 1200# lift machine)? Does anyone know if PT offers a 12" bucket for their minihoe and does it work?

It has been four long years waiting and saving and deciding if this machine (with QC warts and all) is for me. However, it has also been fun reading about all your activities, successes, improvements and fixes for that same time period. I would like to again thank all for the information you have provided and tell you to get ready... I expect to go from a bronze to "poster most high of all posters" AFTER I get the PT and begin doing some work/play with the machine.

Thanks again.

/ 1430 mini-hoe (Lackender vs PT) #2  
IrTxRx said:
My main uses will be:

1.) digging approx 4 ft down in soft dirt behind Lake house retaining wall X 35 ft
I have the PT mini hoe for the 1845 which I understand is the same as the one for the 1430. In my experience it is a bit short to dig 4 ft.

/ 1430 mini-hoe (Lackender vs PT)
Bob,

Would it be correct to assume that the lower and lower you go the harder and harder it gets to excavate with either brand. but the longer boom of the lackender lets it get difficult after 4-5 ft instead of 2-3 ft???

This particular project is a one time deal...after that I cannot see needing to dig any 4ft holes. Right now the project is planned to be done with a shovel or renting the smallest tracked excavator we can find.

Thanks

/ 1430 mini-hoe (Lackender vs PT) #4  
If it is a one (or two) time project, it might be much more cost effective just to rent something.

For trenching, you might want to think about something like this;

Hitch-N-Ditch
$285, plus shipping.

Even if it took you a couple of passes, it might be useful.

All the best,

Peter
IrTxRx said:
Bob,

Would it be correct to assume that the lower and lower you go the harder and harder it gets to excavate with either brand. but the longer boom of the lackender lets it get difficult after 4-5 ft instead of 2-3 ft???

This particular project is a one time deal...after that I cannot see needing to dig any 4ft holes. Right now the project is planned to be done with a shovel or renting the smallest tracked excavator we can find.

Thanks

/ 1430 mini-hoe (Lackender vs PT) #5  
PT offers a 12" bucket. I've never seen nor used a Lackender, only the pictures here.

Given that, if you budget can stand the difference, I'd go for it. It's longer and heavier duty. Note that with the PT, you're using the bucket curl cylinder and primarily the cylinder on the minihoe to get your "ripout force," not the lift arms. I don't think the heavier weight would be a big problem with your 1200 lb lift capacity...

/ 1430 mini-hoe (Lackender vs PT) #6  
I needed a greater depth than the PT mini hoe provides (frost line is about 48" deep here). That's why I looked around and found the Lackender site. He had a Baby Boomer Backhoe w/3" cylinder and relief valve. With a 12" bucket, it cost less than $200 more than PT's. The thumb was extra. For my needs, the extra money was well worth the ability to dig deeper. It looks heavier duty than PT's. I have dug 130' of trench with it but I have not used the thumb for lifting stuff yet. Carl probably can tell you if the extra weight caused him problems since he got the same unit.

The Baby Boomer is smaller than the Boomer (6' digging depth vs 7' digging depth), weighs less, and is less expensive. At the time, he only had a couple in stock and it was unclear if he was going to have more of the smaller ones made. You might ask. They were not listed at the time on his web site.

Ken

Pony - My ground is too hard, rocky and uneven for the Hitch-N-Ditch. but neat idea... kind of a poor man's vibratory plow. Also, no question that for the one 4 ft digging project renting would be more cost effective... But I'm getting a minihoe anyway, so would be nice if I could help out my Father-in-law with my equipment (the waterfront of the lakehouse is sloping and very tight access---PT perfect!!!!)

Kent - My frost line is about 1" so the wheel trencher will be my main go-to implement for running various lines.

Ksimolo - I think that baby boomer may be the sweet spot...Little more reach, little more heft, little more breakout, but won't overload the PT

Group -- is there any expected difference in "breakout" force between the PT and Lackender hoe... And does it really matter? Thanks

/ 1430 mini-hoe (Lackender vs PT) #8  
I have the 1430 and PT mini hoe. I'm pretty sure I can't dig 4' deep. If I had known about the Lackender hoes when I purchased mine I probably would have gone for it. The one thing I do like about the PT mini hoe, is that it's light enough for me to pick up, so when ever I'm going to do a job with the PT I through the mini hoe on the trailer just in case I need it.

/ 1430 mini-hoe (Lackender vs PT) #9  
IrTxRx,

I have a never-used Lackender BabyBoomer with thumb and hydraulic bucket curl plus 8" and 12" buckets that I bought for my 1845 (same attachment plate as 1430) for sale. I am in the middle of the Rockies and there just is not anyplace I needed to dig that anything less than a full-blown TLB could handle.

It is very stout, but the tractor simply can not apply enough down pressure for my conditions. It is the only attachment out of 9 total that I do not use regularly.

I can put it on a pallet and bring to a truck terminal in next few weeks, otherwise not until after first of year. PM me if interested.

Rip

RegL said:
I have the 1430 and PT mini hoe. I'm pretty sure I can't dig 4' deep. If I had known about the Lackender hoes when I purchased mine I probably would have gone for it. .

I'm really not worried about digging depth. Even if mini-hoes only dig 2.5 ft deep, that's still a lot of dirt I don't have to dig by hand. What do you like about the Lackender vs the PT? What would have lead you to purchase Lackender over PT?