1430 8 hour maintenance questions

/ 1430 8 hour maintenance questions #1  

IrTxRx

Silver Member
Tractor
Power Trac 1430
A few questions regarding routine maintenance:

1.) Where the **** are the 3 zerks on the treadel assembly??? I pulled off the column and foot-well panels but saw no zerks. I believe the manual says 2 on the treadle assembly and one on the butterfly somethingorother.

2.) Superlube ball joints. I presume this is an aerosol product. I do not have a home depot and noone seems familiar with this product. Is there a similar product that Wally World might stock which I could use (i.e. canola oil)?

3.) I will call Duetz, but in the meantime, what every 8 hour stuff is needed for the diesel??? I plan on removing and blowing out the air pre-filter. Can I remove the air filter and blow it out.

4.) I am using regular grease on the tractor and Moly/Lithium High temp/High Pressure grease (both from Wally World) on the brush cutter. Is there a zerk on my wheel trencher and should it get the regular or the high temp stuff?

5.) I read all the previous greasing posts and still don't know too much. How many pumps should I put in each zerk?

So far 8 hours and no problems except for the broken cutter blade. Man this machine is a blast!!!

I really need to get the wrap that protects the hoses, (the wheel trencher cam with a hose nicked to the metal core) but it is so fun to actually se results from an hour or two of "work."

Thanks again all

/ 1430 8 hour maintenance questions #2  
IrTxRx said:

1.) Where the **** are the 3 zerks on the treadel assembly??? I pulled off the column and foot-well panels but saw no zerks. I believe the manual says 2 on the treadle assembly and one on the butterfly somethingorother.

2.) Superlube ball joints. I presume this is an aerosol product. I do not have a home depot and noone seems familiar with this product. Is there a similar product that Wally World might stock which I could use (i.e. canola oil)?

3.) I will call Duetz, but in the meantime, what every 8 hour stuff is needed for the diesel??? I plan on removing and blowing out the air pre-filter. Can I remove the air filter and blow it out.

4.) I am using regular grease on the tractor and Moly/Lithium High temp/High Pressure grease (both from Wally World) on the brush cutter. Is there a zerk on my wheel trencher and should it get the regular or the high temp stuff?

5.) I read all the previous greasing posts and still don't know too much. How many pumps should I put in each zerk?

So far 8 hours and no problems except for the broken cutter blade. Man this machine is a blast!!!

I really need to get the wrap that protects the hoses, (the wheel trencher cam with a hose nicked to the metal core) but it is so fun to actually se results from an hour or two of "work."

Thanks again all

Welcome to the wonderful world of outdated and incomplete manuals brought to you by Power Trac.

Power Trac: an amazing machine for amazed people.

:)

I've got a PT425 that has zerks on the treadle assembly because I have a cable that goes back to the engine compartment that controls tractor direction. The newer 425 models have a hydraulic valve and hoses instead of a cable. I don't know if there are any zerks for that. Do you have a cable drive or hydraulic hoses to control direction?

I use white lithium grease on all of my ball joints. That way I can see if I got grease on them.

/ 1430 8 hour maintenance questions #3  
IrTxRx said:

Look for a teflon aerosol product. There are many different brands.

3.) I will call Duetz, but in the meantime, what every 8 hour stuff is needed for the diesel??? I plan on removing and blowing out the air pre-filter. Can I remove the air filter and blow it out. There is no 8 hour maintenance on the air filter or any other part of the Deutz engine. The inner filter is never serviced, only replaced. the outer filter can be cleaned when the indicator on the filter housing indicates it is necessary. Depending on your usage you may need to clean the oil cooler radiator regularly--keep a close eye on the engine temperature and when it begins to climb it is time to clean the oil cooler radiator.

4.) I am using regular grease on the tractor and Moly/Lithium High temp/High Pressure grease (both from Wally World) on the brush cutter. Is there a zerk on my wheel trencher and should it get the regular or the high temp stuff? I would recomend a moly fortified grease for general greasing and be sure to use a grease designed for high temp bearing for any spindles on mowers.

Thanks again all
I have posted comments in red above.

/ 1430 8 hour maintenance questions #4  
If you cant find any hose wrap. you can use the foam pipe insulation that is slit down the middle. I used that where the hoses go thru the circle hanger on the top front and also down in front where the hoses come thru before they go to the wheel motors.

/ 1430 8 hour maintenance questions
OK,

Thanks for the input.

I went to or called 5 stores today (NAPA, Auto Zone, Wally, local auto and Ace stores) and no one had any aerosol lubricant that contained Teflon. Called Terry at PT and he was surprisingly persistant at recommending the use of "SuperLube" on the non-greased joints.

Got online and found the superlube website Synthetic Lubricants: Manufactured by Synco Chemical Corporation.
so I will purchase a couple of cans (is 2 enough???)

Also found out that there are no mystery zerks on the treadle with the new hydraback assembly

Really, no maintenance on the Duestz??? Seems to good to be true, lol

/ 1430 8 hour maintenance questions #6  
As the engine is new, I would be checking the oil level and such much more regularly.. And at 50 hrs replace all the filters and change the oil ...

Carl

/ 1430 8 hour maintenance questions #7  
Keep an eye on the oil. New deutzs seem to go through phases of wanting more oil.

Around here Wally world sells spray lubricant, but YMMV. You might need to look for PTFE rather than Teflon(TM). It is like Kleenex vs. facial tissues or photocopying vs. xerox. (PTFE=PolyTetraFlouroEthylene, trade name, Teflon)
Triflow, tuffoil, super lube, are a few names.

SuperLube is a thicker spray than many; be careful that you don't get the dry lubricant of the same name. You'd have to ask Terry why he likes that brand.

I used to use tuffoil diluted 1:1 with solvent on metal fittings where corrosion was a major problem.

All the best,

Peter

IrTxRx said:
OK,

Thanks for the input.

I went to or called 5 stores today (NAPA, Auto Zone, Wally, local auto and Ace stores) and no one had any aerosol lubricant that contained Teflon. Called Terry at PT and he was surprisingly persistant at recommending the use of "SuperLube" on the non-greased joints.

Got online and found the superlube website Synthetic Lubricants: Manufactured by Synco Chemical Corporation.
so I will purchase a couple of cans (is 2 enough???)

Also found out that there are no mystery zerks on the treadle with the new hydraback assembly

Really, no maintenance on the Duestz??? Seems to good to be true, lol

I didn't ask the parts stores for PTFE, but figured if I knew that Teflon was PTFE, they would too. I never asked Terry specifically why he liked SuperLube vs White grease, but he made several comments like don't mix lubricants, that's what factory uses and attracts less dirt than a true grease.

I ordered the 14 Oz aerosol from SuperLube with PTFE.

What consistency is everyones special mix they put on the ball joints?

Does the newer non-zerked treadle assembly need any lubricant (spray or otherwise and if so where do you apply?

Thanks all

/ 1430 8 hour maintenance questions #9  
IrTxRx said:
I didn't ask the parts stores for PTFE, but figured if I knew that Teflon was PTFE, they would too. I never asked Terry specifically why he liked SuperLube vs White grease, but he made several comments like don't mix lubricants, that's what factory uses and attracts less dirt than a true grease.

I ordered the 14 Oz aerosol from SuperLube with PTFE.

What consistency is everyones special mix they put on the ball joints?

Does the newer non-zerked treadle assembly need any lubricant (spray or otherwise and if so where do you apply?

Thanks all

That's funny because they told me to use white lithium grease. :p

Clearly, must be because you have zerks on your treadle, lol