Tractor rolls at idle

/ Tractor rolls at idle #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
OK, I thought this might be leak related. But when I am running my PT it will slowly creep backwards. Now, I may still have a leak, maybe in the treadle hoses. If not, what could be causing this?

/ Tractor rolls at idle #2  
My 425's hydro treadle is cable-controlled (not hydraulic), and "creep" is a factor of the adjustment on the neutral position of the controls. Same thing with my hydrostatic tranny lawn tractors.

I'd guess it is a simple adjustment -- but I have no idea where on your tractor...

/ Tractor rolls at idle #3  
woodlandfarms said:
OK, I thought this might be leak related. But when I am running my PT it will slowly creep backwards. Now, I may still have a leak, maybe in the treadle hoses. If not, what could be causing this?

Carl,

If you have an older PT, it may have a unit called a Hydro-back. My 1445 has one that looks like this.

If you do have the Hydro-back, call Terry, and he will talk you through the process. It involves getting all wheels off the ground.

It may be as simple as cleaning out around the treadle, and lube it.

The Hydro-back is the black tube thingy in the center, which shifts the fluid to forward or reverse and is supposed to come back to neutral. I think that most of the treadle units will creep sooner or later.

Attachments

• HYDROBACK 004.jpg
    HYDROBACK 004.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 311
   / Tractor rolls at idle
Thanks JJ.. I am not sure where this control is on your system but I have not seen anything like this on mine.

Rumor has it that the tractor is not much more than a 2001 or 2002. Problem is that the VIN tag was removed at one point so Terry is not sure which tractor it is.

I have a few things I am going to order from Terry shortly so I will run this past him but keep the ideas coming, I am sure PT is closed this week just because hunting is now over and everyone is crying there.

/ Tractor rolls at idle #5  
woodlandfarms said:
Thanks JJ.. I am not sure where this control is on your system but I have not seen anything like this on mine.

Rumor has it that the tractor is not much more than a 2001 or 2002. Problem is that the VIN tag was removed at one point so Terry is not sure which tractor it is.

I have a few things I am going to order from Terry shortly so I will run this past him but keep the ideas coming, I am sure PT is closed this week just because hunting is now over and everyone is crying there.

The Hydro-back is right above the tram pump, and the lever on the left is what gives direction to the pump.

You may just have the hydraulic treadle, which uses feedback from the treadle to position the squash plate in the pump. There should be an adjustment of some kind, at the treadle or the pump.

/ Tractor rolls at idle
Talked to Terry about this as well. He said it is an adjustable issue, but because mine is so minor he would leave it alone for the moment. Something that needs to be adjusted on the tram...

Carl

/ Tractor rolls at idle #7  
woodlandfarms said:
Talked to Terry about this as well. He said it is an adjustable issue, but because mine is so minor he would leave it alone for the moment. Something that needs to be adjusted on the tram...

Carl

Carl.

Some people do not turn off their machine when ever they leave the seat. I can understand why on a repetitive task. Anyway, the machine should not move in neutral. It may be nothing to him, but it might be to you. Can you take some pictures of the left and right side of the tram pump. I am curious if you have the Hydra-back, of the hydraulic control. I know the Hydra-back has just one cable within a cable going back to the tram. It uses opposing springs to keep the tram in neutral. Do you have much spring action on your treadle ? Just might need some cleaning and lubrication. So much for documentation from PT. It seems that are afraid to put something down in writing. What a lousy way to entice customers. Poor documentation. I will bet if enough customers were to demand a full operating and parts manual, they would have to get off their butts and get the job done. I had heard that someone had purchased a shop manual for their machine. Does anyone know if this is true. I wonder if they have any clue as to what an operating manual or shop manual should contain. Even the parts manual look like they came off a copy machine. Some of you/us have had their machines for years, and still so not know where everything is and how it operates. I am betting that they are reading these post, and I am amazed that there is so little documentation, with pictures showing detail. To the guys that have been to the factory, did you see any better books or documentation on the PT's. Maybe they are on the computer and they are keeping things a secret. It just might be that they expect this forum to educate and enlighten everyone. This forum has been a great source of knowledge. You would think that they would brag about [ Made in the USA ], and brag about their manuals, and give discount for referrals. So they put you up in a motel/hotel, and give so called factory training. Most of the factory trained people that I know came back from the various factories with fully loaded manuals, prepared to fix just about anything. I am sort of wondering about after the sale, what do they expect. Check that warranty, they are not responsible for much of anything. Thinking that you would walk away happy as a jaybird, and also thinking they have the only source for parts for the PT, and just one technical expert in the USA. They do have a bad rap for documentation, and they deserve it. Has anyone figured out why? I think I have the answer, because they don't have to document anything. They could never sell to the military. They would have to totally document everything.

/ Tractor rolls at idle
Not to defend Terry, but I did not come completely clean. I still have a few leaks and it may be related to one. So that is why the wait.

But you are absolutely right on all your notes.

I am amazed at the lack of documention that I am subjected to.

Carl

/ Tractor rolls at idle #9  
The adjustment of ANY hydrostatic transmission directional controls to neutral is, in my opinion, THE most important safety item on the tractor. All hydrostatic tractors have this adjustment and it needs to be done. As stated, people get in a hurry, do not turn off the unit and do not set the brake. Then the tractor creeps. A very good friend of mine's brother in law was killed by a skid steer that he left running. He had his back to it and it crept up on him and the bucket pinned his mid section against a dirt pile. He died in the helicopter on the way to the hospital and left behind a wife and four kids.

So, lower any implements, set the brake, tap the treadle to make sure the brakes are holding, shut off the unit, then get off.

Be safe. :)

/ Tractor rolls at idle #10  
I too am having trouble with my PT422 in creeping backwards.
It does it as soon as it is started.
I do put the brake on before getting off, but I am guilty of not shutting the engine off if it is only going to be for a minute when I leave the seat.
Did someone post how to adjust this and make it right?