Grease Zerk Grumble

/ Grease Zerk Grumble #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
Under my tilting seat is a zerk for the upper connection between the front and back.

When I try to access it with my hand pump grease gun it is no joy. There is no room for the hose and the connector.

So I went to a 90 degree zerk. Problem is that it is getting the heck knocked out of it as it is high enough to be hit by the under seat bar when I am turning on a slope.

Are there low profile zerks (maybe I should look at a 45) or is there a low profile pump head or a 90 head. How does everyone else with the 1800 series deal with this?

/ Grease Zerk Grumble #2  
Maybe it's easier to put a plug in the zerk hole and just screw in the zerk when you want to grease it.

/ Grease Zerk Grumble #3  
ToadHill said:
Maybe it's easier to put a plug in the zerk hole and just screw in the zerk when you want to grease it.

That is an excellent suggestion.

/ Grease Zerk Grumble #4  
woodlandfarms said:
Under my tilting seat is a zerk for the upper connection between the front and back.

When I try to access it with my hand pump grease gun it is no joy. There is no room for the hose and the connector.

I see you have one a them fancy automatic tilting seats :) It never occurred to me the tradeoff might be you get no forward/upward tilt with that option. I thought all of PT's seats tilted forward.

There are lots of angled grease gun adapters for difficult to reach fittings but (here come a trade-off again) the angled ones can often be hard to hold in place to get a good squirt. An auto parts store should have something that would work.

How do you get access to add hydraulic fluid?

PT-1845 Upgrades and Improvements

Sedgewood

/ Grease Zerk Grumble #5  
How about a remote zerk set-up. Google it. I have seen them a hundred times and know they are out there on loads of equipment. Right now I just finished up a ba****d of a cylinder and don't feel like making the effort to look it up. Basically, I got my butt kicked today.

/ Grease Zerk Grumble #6  
I have an adjustable angle nozzle that I use there but I can not get the fitting to accept grease. If i remove the fitting, the grease flows through the fitting fine so the zerk itself is not the problem. I will have to try a small pick, then heat, then ?

Ken

/ Grease Zerk Grumble
Don't use heat. Take a look at the diagram in the manual. There are plastic bushings in one of the connectors...

/ Grease Zerk Grumble #8  
ksimolo said:
I have an adjustable angle nozzle that I use there but I can not get the fitting to accept grease. If i remove the fitting, the grease flows through the fitting fine so the zerk itself is not the problem. I will have to try a small pick, then heat, then ?

Ken

Ken.

When I first tried to put grease in my 1444, it would not go. I removed the zerk and cleaned it out . Still could not apply grease. So I thought that if the pin was tight on the zerk opening, it probably would not take grease, so all I did was to turn the steering wheel as I applied grease, I guess it loosened the pin a bit, and it worked. They should have cut a grove in the pin or housings, like on some bearings I have seen.

/ Grease Zerk Grumble #9  
Carl - thanks for thanks for the heads up!

JJ - Yeah, I have already tried putting the PT in various positions with no luck.

Ken

/ Grease Zerk Grumble
ksimolo said:

Ken

Ken, I just stumbled onto a possible solution. I broke my zerk off (we are talking about the upper zerk on the arm that hold the two halves of the tractor together). What I did was I put a floor jack under the center section and lifted it up. Just to get some weight off the upper joint. It took a bit of finessing. I then just undid the little bolt under the seat and pulled slowly up. I did not want to bump anything as if this thing moved I think I would push out all the bearings and washers and stuff.

I quickly extrated the broken zerk and put it right back in. No fuss, no muss.

Hope this helps.