Rubber Lip for PT-425 Plow

/ Rubber Lip for PT-425 Plow #1  

catsco

Silver Member
Tractor
PT425
In recent years I've posted about snow plowing because of the amount of snow that we get here.

Previously, I've used an ugly but effective rubber lip made from old tires. It has the three things I look for when making a purchase; cheap, inexpensive, and low cost!

A picture of that lip on the plow can be found at:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...need-advice-snow-plow-787362-plow-lip-tbn.jpg

Now that finances are improved, I decided to purchase PT's rubber lip, but with reservations about the cost of $125 plus $25+ shipping for what didn't look like much.

I was getting weary of replacing the homemade lip in sub-zero temps (no shop or garage) in the snow.

Just receive it yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised at the thickness and size of the rubber piece, which looks to me like mining conveyor belting cut to the appropriate size.

Installation was really easy (compared to cutting sidewalls out of a tire and cutting across the tread), and I plowed the last of last week's snow.

The ease and 'cormfort' of plowing with this lip is about midway between the tire tread lip and nothing on the blade.

The tire tread lip slides nicely on the dirt without gouging at all, but wears out pretty quickly as the tread folds under the blade to make a nice edge.

Plowing without a lip is nearly impossible in dirt unless you position the blade an inch or tow above the ground, and even then, as it drifts down, you hit the occasional rock which stops you immediately and sometimes gives you a chance to practice welding.

Using PT's rubber blade is not as smooth as the tire tread lip, but much better at removing snow down to the dirt without gouging and risking damage.

We should get another 8-10" of snow later this week, so I'll see how it works compared to the homemade one.

Mark H.

/ Rubber Lip for PT-425 Plow #2  
Yeah I've been using strips cut from horse matting...I go thru about 2 strips a year and it is a pain changing them in the freezing weather. I will be interested in hearing how it PT rubber blade handles a storm and more importantly how it holds up. Some pic's would be nice, especially a closeup of the edge.

Thanks
Jack