Thinking about a Power-trac 1430

/ Thinking about a Power-trac 1430 #1  

log-master

I am thinking about getting a Power-trac 1430. I live in East Texas (Nacogdoches). I have a question. How does the power-trac work on soft ground? I have about 5 acres needed to be cleared up and 1/2 of the area is in a bottom by a stream. The water table is high down their and you can get a 35 HP 4 wheel drive tractor stuck quick! Thanks, for the answers in advance.

/ Thinking about a Power-trac 1430 #2  
Hi am also looking at a PT.
I remember a post that I looked at here were some one got stuck in mud by a small beavers dam I think it was a PT422 I wish I had more experience to help I am sure that someone else will chime in.

/ Thinking about a Power-trac 1430 #3  
agape woodworker said:
Hi am also looking at a PT.
I remember a post that I looked at here were some one got stuck in mud by a small beavers dam I think it was a PT422 I wish I had more experience to help I am sure that someone else will chime in.

That was probably me. I used to have a Kabota tractor and I got the PT stuck about every place I got the Kabota stuck. My solution is to carry a whinch or comealong all of the time. I like the PT425 with the larger 1430 tires and wheel motors. This give you more floation. JD Beach has this machine. Serach on this post for details.

My feeling is that no matter what you get, if it has wheels it can be stuck. If you drive on soft surface it will get softer with each pass and you will get stuck. Lower ground pressure is good, but no guarantee.

Rules: Carry recovery equipment. Learn from your mistakes. I have gone into areas where I know I will get stuck. Steer left and right while applying power to get out. Lower tire pressure. Always have an attachement on the front to help. The minihoe seems the best. The 4 in 1 bucket is OK.

Search on my other post for more details.

/ Thinking about a Power-trac 1430 #4  
the 1850's with duals might work better but in soupy clay, you would still be in trouble. And do not try reverse - slicks up the tires immediately. Chains would help.

Ken

/ Thinking about a Power-trac 1430 #5  
I think the bottom line is that you can get any tractor stuck under the right conditions. What are you planning to do with your tractor? i.e. are their other devices that might serve your needs better? e.g. a huntvee or a swamp cat?

Unless you go with a dually model, you probably should consider the lawn tires, which are about 30% wider, and offer better floatation. As BobRip mentions' JDBeach's custom 422 with the large wheels has probably the lowest ground pressure of any of them.

One PT specific comment that I would make is that because their ability to articulate, PTs are much better at extracting themselves from sticky situations that conventional tractors.

Good luck,

Peter

/ Thinking about a Power-trac 1430 #6  
I think the bottom line is that you can get any tractor stuck under the right conditions. What are you planning to do with your tractor? i.e. are their other devices that might serve your needs better? e.g. a huntvee or a swamp cat?

Unless you go with a dually model, you probably should consider the lawn tires, which are about 30% wider, and offer better floatation. As BobRip mentions' JDBeach's custom 422 with the large wheels has probably the lowest ground pressure of any of them.

One PT specific comment that I would make is that because their ability to articulate, PTs are much better at extracting themselves from sticky situations that conventional tractors.

Good luck,

Peter

/ Thinking about a Power-trac 1430 #7  
That must be why PT sells this...:rolleyes:
winch1.jpg

/ Thinking about a Power-trac 1430 #8  
Really?

I thought it was for real lumber jacks to snake wood out of the forest with. (Or do real lumberjacks just use their teeth?) :)

All the best,

Peter

/ Thinking about a Power-trac 1430 #9  
PaulChristenson said:
That must be why PT sells this...:rolleyes:

Problem with that approach is that I'd almost guarantee you'd have a different attachment mounted up to the front when you found out you were stuck... ;)

I know that would be my luck, and I'd get stuck waaaaay back in the woods to try hiking out, and lugging tools back in... :eek: :eek:

/ Thinking about a Power-trac 1430 #10  
I became a dealer for the small Honda gas powered winches. Figured they would do double duty for pulling out firewood and the PT if necessary without having to be hooked up to anything. So naturally, I have not had the need/time to personally use my own yet! Would have been nice to own one before i had to lug out the 18" logs out of my steep ravine by hand (this is what motivated me to look into the winches). Was a real pain to have to chunk it in the ravine, lift the chunks up to about shoulder height, lean forward/toss to put it on the ground right in front of me (very steep ravine, ~ 60 degrees) and hope it did not roll back down (~25% did). Ravine is about 60' deep. Quickly decided i would never do that again but was stubborn enough to get those few logs out that way. The top of the ravine was so narrow (ravines on both sides), the tractor could just barely fit parallel to the ravines so i could not even use the loader and a chain to slowly pull the logs up. If i had a long heavy duty rope and pulleys at the time, i could have used the PT to drag them out. Now I have the logging cones, winch, pulleys, and rope. It will be interesting to see how well they work for me. People who have bought them say they work well.

Ken