PT & Hearing Protection

/ PT & Hearing Protection #1  

farm23

Silver Member
Tractor
PT-1430, Wright Z-turn mower, BCS 853
In the past I have used cheap shooting muffs. This weekend I was able to get 6 hours on Saturday and 5 hours on Sunday seat time. Both days I had sore ears and a headache. Has anyone found good comfortable heating protection.

/ PT & Hearing Protection #2  
I have a pair of Pelltors and love them. They fit my head well and have a very good NRR.

Fit is important to comfort and also to a good NRR.

You can get them from most industrial supply houses or via the internet.

All the best,

Peter

farm23 said:
In the past I have used cheap shooting muffs. This weekend I was able to get 6 hours on Saturday and 5 hours on Sunday seat time. Both days I had sore ears and a headache. Has anyone found good comfortable heating protection.

/ PT & Hearing Protection #3  
I'm still using my old David Clark's that I got when I used to shoot indoors and also working at the aiport back in the '70's and 80's.

/ PT & Hearing Protection #4  
I have a pair of Bose noise-cancelling headphones. They work well by themselves. They are expensive (~$200 IIRC).

I used to hang a CD player around my neck and listen to a CD through those headphones. Excellent. Except I'd hear the same CD three or four times during a job, being too lazy to stop working in order to change it.

DW got me an MP3 player for Christmas. Now I don't have to listen to the same songs over and over. I just need to get prescription safety goggles so that I can read the tiny screen and CHOOSE what I'll hear.

Phil

/ PT & Hearing Protection #5  
I have the Peltor radio/hearing projection head set which sells for around $50. The radio works fine and it offers OK hearing protection. I have also put foam under the ROPS and sound deading material lining the soild sections of the engine cover. I believe these helped some. I have a better muffer than the newer PT's so that also helps.

/ PT & Hearing Protection #6  
Hi there!

I have the Peltor hearing protectors which have a very high sound suppression rating. I bought the highest rating for under $100, and I think they cost around $50. The best accessory for the PT, other than gloves and a good set of safety goggle. I recommend you get a set.

Also, I used to have a set of the Bose QuietComfort headphones. They drove me CRAZY. Frankly, I think it was because they put out an 'out of phase' signal to counter the ambient noise. My personal theory is that although you couldn't hear anything, the sound pressure is still 'pushing' on your ears. I would get a splitting headache after extended use, and I actually gave them away. It doesn't affect everyone the same way, however.

Rob :)

P.S. the one with the red stripe is the one I have. Very very quiet, as Elmer Fudd says... :)

Attachments

• non_image.jpg
    non_image.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 89
   / PT & Hearing Protection #8  
DCWhitley said:
Bobrip - What alterations did you make to the muffler? I would loive to make my machine quieter.

No alterations, just the older stock PT muffler. It actually sends exhaust out both sides of the tractor. It's still too lound, but not as bad as the later ones. I also would like to reduce the noise some.

/ PT & Hearing Protection #9  
Do the Peltor's cut out noise completely? I have a 4 yr old girl and although she knows the rules about staying back from the tractor and I am also very visually conscious I still want to be able to hear someone yelling at me just in case.

I'm a bit paranoid about this, when I was in high school I remember there was a young family down the road. The Dad was maybe 22 and he was driving a four wheeler out from b/w two cars and their toddler stepped out from behind the bumper right as he was coming through. He was just idling his way out, wasn't gunning it or anything but still no time to react and the child didn't make it.

Over 20 years ago but it still turns a lump in my throat like it was yesterday...

/ PT & Hearing Protection #10  
Tragedies like that are pretty tough on folks. When I was a small kid, there was an old woman that used to roam the neighborhood. She was looney, saw bugs that weren't there, spoke to folks that weren't there, etc... She'd just walk into your house and sit down next to you and stare off into space. My sisters would run and hide, but I'd stay right next to her. Why???? Because if you waited long enough, she would open her purse and hand you a home made popcorn ball or giant sized candy bar! :D

Anyhow, the poor old woman was walking in her yard, got her dress caught on something, and fell behind her husband's car as he was backing out. She passed away and the old man moved shortly after. I'd see him riding his bike to the cemetery every few days for years after that. He had flowers in the bike basket. Really sad. Even as a little kid, and well into my teens, I'd see that man and get choked up.

So, it is best to always know where your family members are, teach them well to stay away from the driveway and any power equipment, and find out where all of them are before moving cars/equipment in tight spaces. Also best to never hot dog a car or piece of equipment in your driveway, as you never know if a neighbor kid, meter reader, etc... may be there. Just practice safety each and every time you can.