Grading Rear weight box/tool box for PT-425

/ Rear weight box/tool box for PT-425 #1  

KentT

Elite Member
Tractor
1993 Power Trac 1430 w/Kubota diesel engine
Since the hydraulics on my PT-425 are stronger than the weight of the machine (lifting the rear of the tractor), I had a friend fab me up a rear weight box that doubles as a toolbox, chain box, etc. Because it pins tight against the rear of the PT, it will readily handle 175-200 pounds of weight. Though I haven't used it a lot because of working in the trees, I've found it quite useful when doing loader work...

Attachments

• DSC01585_800.JPG
    DSC01585_800.JPG
    174.3 KB · Views: 251
  • DSC01586_800.JPG
    DSC01586_800.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 287
  • DSC01589_800.JPG
    DSC01589_800.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 240
  • DSC01588_800.JPG
    DSC01588_800.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 297
   / Rear weight box/tool box for PT-425
MossRoad said:
Cool box! I like that it is easily removed.

Yep! Since I have my wheels reversed (and loaded tires), I plan to use it only when I need the extra weight or need to haul things like my chainsaw, chains, etc.

/ Rear weight box/tool box for PT-425 #4  
I like the idea of a chain box. But I pull with the rear hitch. Any thoughts as to extending a brace inside to allow for a hitch on the rear of the box?

MossRoad said:
I like the idea of a chain box. But I pull with the rear hitch. Any thoughts as to extending a brace inside to allow for a hitch on the rear of the box?

I thought about it a bit, but thought I'd need that "extension" to actually pin on the hitch also, to transfer the stress directly to the PT and not the weight box. For example, you could put a "T" in that internal brace that extended out the rear of the box, with ears that would also pin in...

bottom line is that I didn't come up with an easily fabricated solution that wouldn't block most of the center section of the box, so I took the simple way out...

/ Rear weight box/tool box for PT-425 #6  
Well that certainly looks more professional than my milk crate strapped to the top of the engine cover. Your pics do bring up a question. Has anyone broken the hitch on a PT. I've often wondered how much weight one could hang off it before it will break.

/ Rear weight box/tool box for PT-425 #7  
Righteous man. I may try to copy the box...if ok with you ;) .

Red Zebra said:

Feel free to do so -- that's why I posted pics...

Red Zebra said:

I found these on my PC -- they might be of value -- they're what I gave my friend to work with. You may want to confirm the measurements, though, since I had to do a bit of "clearancing" to get the bar to fit in the PT hitch...

Attachments

• pt_box_1.jpg
    pt_box_1.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 229
  • pt_box_2.jpg
    pt_box_2.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 203
  • pt_box_3.jpg
    pt_box_3.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 184
   / Rear weight box/tool box for PT-425 #10  
Brought this thread back to see if KentT's weight box has worked out. Also to see if anyone else has come up with any good ideas for adding ballast. I came up with a little idea today while moving pallets of firewood that were making the PT a little tipsy. I raised the engine hood which transferred the weight of the hood to the rear. It actually made a noticeable difference. I really don't think I would need all that much weight back there to balance the tractor to the loader.