Mowing Power Trac Mowing Performance

/ Power Trac Mowing Performance #21  
Reds:
I mowed today and tried to duplicate your problem. The only thing I could get was right front wheel spin when turning uphill while side mowing a steep slope. I have a 60" deck on my tractor, if deck weight is a factor perhaps you could add some??? Not to much, you would bog down going uphill.
PTRich

/ Power Trac Mowing Performance #22  
reds, i hope you mean the srips of mowing. if that is what you mean here is a way to get strips and more other patterns.

mow for three weeks in exactly the same tracks (silver -green - silver) you will see that you will have the most beautifully strips in your neighborhood ...keep those blade sharp too. after 3 weeks change direction to make squares, 90 degrees, to make diamonds 45 degrees. do this for three weeks than change direction every other week.

good luck

/ Power Trac Mowing Performance #23  
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=off&Number=140979&Search=true&Forum=All_Forums&Words=striping&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=0&Limit=50&Old=allposts&Main=140903>Click here to see a thread on lawn striping</A> There is a link to Simplicity where they maintain some good information on this. It is a fun hobby, and make the lawn really stand out.

/ Power Trac Mowing Performance #24  
PTRich, i also have the 60 inch deck. I'm really not sure what the problem is. Since i can drive over the same areas, without the deck and not tip means its one of two things ... at least to my ay of thinking. Either the loader arms put down-pressure on the ground causing the front end to lose traction and slide down the hill, while the rear stays planted or the weight of the deck itself pulls the front of the tractor downhill. You can feel the front want to go sideways so of course you try to compensate by turning ,ever so slightly, uphill. But even if you don't turn uphill you still get the wheel lift. The tractors definitely still in float. Now here's the interesting part. Your driving across the hill when the right front wheel lifts up so you stop. So now if you pop the mower out of float, the loader arms really push down and raise the front of the tractor ... very suddenly. If while in the three wheels on the ground position you back up instead of popping the mower out of float, the front wheel lowers back down ... if you try to go forward the wheel keeps raising off of the ground till you feel like your gonna fall out of the seat and stop.

I've tried mowing going the hill. My observation is that the loader arms do not travel upwards easily enough to allow this. Instead, as you go up the slope the mower deck puts an increasing amount of pressure to the ground as the loader arms resist moving upwards until the tractor slows to a crawl and you give up. I'm sure if i continued it would stall. I've eased up on the treadle, to allow the hydrolics to catch up without success.

Please ... anyone that wishes to participate ... try this!

Heres a question i have. With the tractor at idle, sitting on level ground without an attachment. Try raising the loader arms by hand. They raise fairly easy and will drop to the ground when released... next go to full throttle and repeat the process. My loader arms don't want to budge. Is this normal operation for the rest of you guys???

The trick all this is to take the mower out of float and raise it up enough to drop the wheel to the ground and still be able to cut the grass. Monday i hit a spot where even this didn't work. Due to the curve of the ground in the drainage ditch, one side of the mower was cuttin air. So i attacked this spot from the opposite direction and was able to get past it. Very agravating to say the least.

/ Power Trac Mowing Performance #25  
Bubenberg,
Yup they're the ones. I don't let the neighbors in my drawers!
Thanks for the tips. The grass really does look good with those stripes.

/ Power Trac Mowing Performance #26  
MR.
I don't remember where i heard it but my understanding is that simplicity's patent on the full length rollers across the back of the mower deck will runout shortly. Maybe PT can be the "second coming".

/ Power Trac Mowing Performance #27  
That would be cool. I imagine that something could be rigged up to the rear of he PT mower, if you had the gumption /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

As compared to my 26" simplicity deck, after mowing my lawn 3-4 times, I am happy with the PT425s pattern. I wish it would stop raining, so I could go out and take before and after pictures. Sooner or later I'll get them and post them.

/ Power Trac Mowing Performance #28  
I'm gonna retract two of my previous statements.

<<<Heres a question i have. With the tractor at idle, sitting on level ground without an attachment. Try raising the loader arms by hand. They raise fairly easy and will drop to the ground when released... next go to full throttle and repeat the process. My loader arms don't want to budge. Is this normal operation for the rest of you guys>>>

I went home last night and followed my own instructions and there was no difference in the loader arm operation as i stated above. The arms were stiff to move but the throttle position had no effect. Neither will the arms drop by themselves. Only when you turn the tractor off.

Based upon those results i also revisited this statement:

<<<if you pop the mower out of float, the loader arms really push down and raise the front of the tractor ... very suddenly>>>

It seems that the loader arms raised up only when i pulled the joystick out of float as opposed to popping it out.

I wouldn't suggest trying to duplicate this on a hill. As i sat there on my hill last night playing with moving the joystick in and out of float, sometimes raising the front wheel off the ground. I experienced my first tractor slide. The front actually lost all traction and down the hill we went. Once we started sliding i turned the wheels to the downside of the hill and we stopped when upon the mower deck hitting the upside of the drainage ditch.

I had already driven the tractor across the hill both with and without the mower deck without any difference in my prior results.

So that was the end of that experimentation.

/ Power Trac Mowing Performance #29  
<font color=green>I imagine that something could be rigged up to the rear of he PT mower</font color=green>

What about something behind the whole machine? If you had a hitch receiver like Charlie's, you could rig up some sort of spring loaded affair to keep it pressed to the ground behind the PT. Since it's articulated, it should follow roughly the same path as the mower, right?

/ Power Trac Mowing Performance #30  
I'm sure it would follow directly behind the machine, however, backing up might be a problem. If it caught on something, the tractor would want to climb over it just like the FEL in float position when going forward.

The striping pattern is pretty nice as it is right now. I'll still attempt to take pictures the next time I mow.