How many hours of repair work vs total hours on machine?

/ How many hours of repair work vs total hours on machine? #1  

Rara Avis

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere
You had a Happy/Not Happy survey a while back...:confused:

My question is...How many hours of repair work have you performed versus Total hours on the machine itself?

/ How many hours of repair work vs total hours on machine? #2  
My 422 has 230 hours...so far only normal maintenance on it.

/ How many hours of repair work vs total hours on machine? #3  
Loaded question for me as my tractor suffered (s) from abuse. I would say 8 hours up for every hour down.. But that is changing... Less repair more seat time.

/ How many hours of repair work vs total hours on machine? #4  
My 1430 has about 160 hours. Mostly normal maintenance time but i have spent several hours on the brush mower replacing sheared off bolts when i have hit hidden ledge and recently a couple of hours for a leaking wheel motor. I'd say i spend about 10 hours of operation time for 1 hour of maintenance time.

/ How many hours of repair work vs total hours on machine? #5  
I have about two hours of "repair" time in ~140 hours of use on my PT422. This does not include normal maintanence or my own modifications. My repairs include a sheared brush mower bolt, and replacing a bad PTO solenoid valve (which is a problem I think PT has addressed already).

/ How many hours of repair work vs total hours on machine? #6  
On my PT-425, in 600 Hours of operation:

10 minutes maintenance per 8 hours operation.
(Lube and spray lube)

Additional 30 minutes maintenance per 50 hours operation.
(Engine oil and filter change, hydraulic filter change)

Minor repair and adjustment due to operator errors, about 6 hours

Repair due to bad design & broken parts that resulted (rollover), about 4 hours

Replacement of wear items (Tires, rubber plow lip) about 4 hours

So, "normal" and "routine" maintenance was 16.5 hours for 600 hours of operation, was 2.75%.

"Abnormal" and "non-routine" maintenance and replacement of wear items was 1.3%.

Total maintenance time was therefore just over 4% of operation time.

Wonder why I complained so much about the tractor in the forums?

Guess I'll count my blessings!

Regards,
Mark H.

/ How many hours of repair work vs total hours on machine? #7  
Haven't "logged" the repair or PM time, but here's my history. I've put 240 hours on the PT since I bought it from PTRich -- it now shows 490 hours on the meter.

Other than normal maintenance (and time spent making mods) here's my repairs:

1. Replace the rollover arm & shaft, after trying twice to weld it up.
2. Replace the cooling fan
3. Replace the battery (considered a wear item) -- and then replace the exhaust gaskets since I didn't do that when I should have (see Lessons Learned post)
4. Fix numerous flats on tractor & attachments -- I only "fault" PT with the lousy tubeless tires used on the caster wheels.

I've solved the tractor flat issue with Hydroseal (my tires are loaded with WW fluid) but am still wrestling with the attachments. Going to put tubes in everything BUT the brush-cutter and try that. Going to replace the brush-cutter wheels with HD solid caster tires.

Overall -- still very happy. No other machine that I can afford can do what I continue to do with this one... much less do it on 20-25 degree slopes. :)

/ How many hours of repair work vs total hours on machine? #8  
I spend about 30 minutes every 8 hours blowing it out with air, wiping it down and lubricating it. No major repairs on the tractor so far at 350 hours. (2001 model PT425).

Abused the brush hog and had to tear it apart a few times.

Abused the forks and bent them. They are not pry bars, but do a decent imitation. :)

Mower deck maintenance is no more than any other mower I've had.

Snow blade works well.

Only real complaint is the tubeless tires on the attachments. I swapped out one set for solid wheels and never looked at it again. :)

/ How many hours of repair work vs total hours on machine?
woodlandfarms said:
Loaded question for me as my tractor suffered (s) from abuse. I would say 8 hours up for every hour down.. But that is changing... Less repair more seat time.

Based on the number of threads started by you...I'd have to say you are this year's poster child for the cover of the new repair manual you must be writing...:D

/ How many hours of repair work vs total hours on machine? #10  
I have to say with things so slow I was going to call PT and see if they would want to make some repair DVD's or something like that... Seeing as they do not have a repair force at all...