Lesson learned on Kohler-powered PT-425

/ Lesson learned on Kohler-powered PT-425 #1  

KentT

Elite Member
Tractor
1993 Power Trac 1430 w/Kubota diesel engine
.. when it comes to replacing the battery.

Last year, I had to replace the battery, which required removing the muffler on these Kohler-powered models. Not so great "ease of maintenance" design, there...

Last night I had the "fun" of removing the muffler, again, to replace exhaust gaskets that had failed and started leaking -- one side was leaking, and the other side had deteriorated almost to that point.

Moral of the story -- when you replace the battery, plan ahead and invest the couple of extra bucks and replace the exhaust gaskets. It's cheap insurance. Don't try to just reuse the old ones...

I wasn't trying to save a measly couple bucks when I replaced the battery -- I just didn't plan ahead well enough to get new ones, and tried to "make do" with the ones that were on it...

/ Lesson learned on Kohler-powered PT-425 #2  
Good advice. I'll try to remember it when I change my battery again in another 5 years. :p:):D

Just kidding. But really, I agree that the battery is in a pretty crazy location under the muffler like that. I wonder where they could have placed it instead? I do like my muffler blowing straight out the back, though. ;)