Procedure for bleeding Power-trac hydraulic pump

/ Procedure for bleeding Power-trac hydraulic pump #1  

davesisk

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson MF 1220
...according to Don at Power-trac. This works for my 1418, and presumably other models. There are two pumps, the front one (which is the offset piston type) which drives the wheels and feeds the rear pump, and the rear pump (a gear-type) that drives the steering and lift cylinders. To my understanding, only the main front pump needs to be bled, and that's only when hoses on the suction side (tank->filter->pump) are disconnected.

Note: I'm simply relaying this to help folks in the future. Please verify this procedure is correct for your own model before using it. The main pump is very expensive to replace, and running the engine with air in the suction side can damage the pump within about 40 seconds.

1) Remove the spark plug wires, so the engine can't start.
2) Remove the cap from the fitting on the top left side of the front hydraulic pump. (Mine didn't actually have a fitting, just a hex/allen wrench type plug.) The fitting faces left if looking at the pump from the front of the tractor, and it's underneath the lever connected to the throttle pedals that switch the pump between forward and reverse flow. There should be a bolt above it, then the fitting is directly beneath it.
3) Connect a hose to the fitting. Open the hyrdraulic tank, and hold the hose over the hydraulic tank.
4) Now, crank the engine, letting the battery turn the engine and pump until you see no air in the oil flowing out of the hose you connected to the fitting.
5) Remove the hose, and replace the cap on the fitting.
6) Re-connect the spark plug wires.

Best regards,
Dave