PT425, Lawnmowing, Small Hole, Big Hole!!

/ PT425, Lawnmowing, Small Hole, Big Hole!! #1  

MossRoad

Super Moderator
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
So I'm out mowing my lawn and I feel this little dip in the lawn. I spin the PT around and go back to see a dimple in the lawn about 4 inches across. So I decide to run it over again I know you are all sayin, "WHY!!", but I did. The tractor went BUMP so I spin the PT around again and see the dimple is now 18" around and 8" deep. I decide to NOT drive over it again and head to the garage to get a shovel. This is what I find. See attached.

/ PT425, Lawnmowing, Small Hole, Big Hole!!
Picture didn't post. Try it again.

Attachments

• 19-139585-1.jpg
    19-139585-1.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 540
One of the neighbors tells me that the original owner had buried a horse trough upside down filled with stones to drain the washing machine into. Well, he didn't fill it with stones. The bottom (now the top because it is buried upside down) has collapsed on one end. Look how far the shovel fits sideways into the hole. See attached.

Attachments

• 19-139586-2.jpg
    19-139586-2.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 291
So I drop the mower deck and pick up the small bucket with teeth and remove a hefty bite of sod over the uncollapsed section of the horse trough. See attached.

Attachments

• 19-139587-3.jpg
    19-139587-3.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 506
I drop the small bucket with teeth with the sod still in it and pick up the large bucket and pressed down on the uncollapsed portion of the trough. It took very little down pressure to totally collapse the tank. In this picture, I am bringing in the third and final load of fill dirt from a stockpile of soil that I have accumulated for just such occasions; collapsed horse troughs buried in the front yard happen more often than you think /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif See attached.

Attachments

• 19-139589-4.jpg
    19-139589-4.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 250
Last picture.

I used the big bucket to spread out the soil and then dropped the big bucket and picked up the small bucket with teeth and replaced the sod. See attached.

It is getting dark so the picture is kind of dark.

Total time.... get ready for this...

Dug a small hole by hand.
Dropped a mower deck.
Picked up two FEL buckets nested inside each other and transferred them to the front yard.
Switched to the small FEL bucket
Dug out sod
Switched to a bigger FEL bucket
Collapsed a horse tank.
Back filled with 3 bucket loads of dirt which required 3 trips to a pile 100 yards away.
Switched FEL buckets again.
Replaced sod.
Hand raked to make pretty.
Got off and took 5 pictures.

Total time... are you sitting down??

About 30 minutes.

Gosh I love this tractor.

Attachments

• 19-139590-5.jpg
    19-139590-5.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 264
   / PT425, Lawnmowing, Small Hole, Big Hole!! #7  
David,
Very nice. Wish my grass (and dirt) looked like that.
Scott

/ PT425, Lawnmowing, Small Hole, Big Hole!! #8  
Cool! Very productive time you had, I'm usually still pondering what to do in that half hour. Good looking grass you've got there /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

BTW, drove by the other day on my way back from the proving grounds. Couldn't figure out which place was yours. I'll pedal by next week sometime /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ PT425, Lawnmowing, Small Hole, Big Hole!! #9  
We bought ten acres 4 years ago. I started researching compact tractors. We started construction a year ago. I found this website and the Power-Trac. We moved in a month ago. I decided that the Power-Trac 425 is what I NEED. The bank account is almost dry.

Experiences like this are killing me!

Thanks to all the PT owners for sharing their experiences.

GarretV

(I'm thinking home-equity, hmmm, how to pass this off to the wife....?)

Well, yesterday it was the palce with the collapsed horse trough hole in the front yard /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif.