Problem with Lift Tilt Dump...

/ Problem with Lift Tilt Dump... #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
OK, this is a bizarre one. Got up this morning, started the tractor and went to disconnect one implement. Nothing worked. Wheels turned, PTO comes on, lift dump does not work. I wait a minute, restart and it works. OK, So I think ghost in the machine. Well, it did it again. Once it works it appears to work strong. So now I have a weird intermittent hydraulic issue and no idea what to look for.

Any ideas?

/ Problem with Lift Tilt Dump... #2  
Two possibilities come to mind:
1. A problem with the lift/tilt valve or linkage; or
2. a sticking relief valve in the lift/tilt circuit

/ Problem with Lift Tilt Dump... #3  
Two possibilities come to mind:
1. A problem with the lift/tilt valve or linkage; or
2. a sticking relief valve in the lift/tilt circuit

I ran those two scenarios through my head, too. I don't know why the relief valve would have been open in the first place, so I eliminated that one. I would have thought that a linkage problem would have been "feelable." Is that a word? :rolleyes: You know what I mean. If there was something wrong with the linkage, I think you would feel it.

I have to admit, I don't know much about the big PTs. WoodlandFarms, how is that particular pump driven on your machine? Any chance something is slipping, and the pump isn't starting properly? Does it have its own coupling? Just guessing right now.

/ Problem with Lift Tilt Dump...
Linkage looks good. I mean I look under and things move like they are supposed to. And it is weird. It runs one moment then when I restart it is gone, then it starts. Problem is that there is NO hydraulic diagram for my particular PT. At least that I know of.

There are three pumps, wheels, pto, and steering lift. I have to double check but I think steering works when the lift does not... There is that charging circuit... Man. Call to Terry I guess. Nothing looks like it is leaking. I hit it with a hammer, nothing...

Darnit. My pickup blew up today. Not sure but I think I am cursed this weekend mechanically. Thank god our burn piles did not go out of control I guess...

Attachments

• IMG_5085.JPG
    IMG_5085.JPG
    558.6 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_5086.JPG
    IMG_5086.JPG
    473.2 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_5089.JPG
    IMG_5089.JPG
    300.3 KB · Views: 166
   / Problem with Lift Tilt Dump... #5  
............. Thank god our burn piles did not go out of control I guess...

That last I guess bit instantly reminded me of the Man's Prayer: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess." I repeat it frequently, as a supplication to my wife. :rolleyes:

If you don't know what I am talking about, you have missed one of the best shows ever on TV, in my opinion. :cool: Even my wife liked it. :D

/ Problem with Lift Tilt Dump... #6  
I think the 1845 and 1850 have the same basic hydraulic layout. The three pumps are stacked on the front of the motor. The drive connections are internal in the stack and I have never disassembled my 1845 so don't know if a drive connection could be the problem.

The steering is driven by the same pump as the lift tilt and if the steering works when lift tilt doesn't it woud suggest an intermittent blockage in a hose or fitting that is associated with lift tilt but not steering.

If none of the items driven by the pump for lift steering work the other possibility I can think of would be an intermittent blockage in the intake (supply) line for the lift/tilt pump. That would require some fairly large debris in the hydraulic reservoir!

Well, whatever is going on is systemic to the pump system for the steering and lift. My gut tells me that it has to do with the accumulator circuit...

Hmmmmm..... I wonder...... The thing I can't figure out is which pump runs the steering and lift.... The pump at the closest to the motor looks like it runs only the treddle. The second pump is steering. The third pump is PTO...

Grabbing the manual - AKA parts catalogue -

NOW I get it. OK, there are 3 pumps but only 2 pump assemblies. The PTO pump housing is also the housing for steering. I have had HUGE problems with small debris lodging itself in my PTO switch assembly, which is also the where the steering lift pump feeds through. I wonder if debris is lodged in the bypass control valve... Or it is sticking a bit for no good reason...

Well... At least a place to start... Time to get oily

Carl

I took apart the PTO Valve assembly (Again, probably the 10th time) and found nothing obstructing. Put it back together. Did the same thing. Smacked it with a hammer and it worked... So, I think I may have a sticky relief valve. I have no clue how those work, I guess I need to get them from Terry as they are set up at the factory...

Can anyone educate me on how these work. I assum there is a spring in there that when enough pressure is applied the valve "opens".

Its seems very, very, very restrictive. All of these valves have seemed very restrictive for a 18GPM system.

/ Problem with Lift Tilt Dump... #9  
Well, whatever is going on is systemic to the pump system for the steering and lift. My gut tells me that it has to do with the accumulator circuit...
Carl

I don't think so--I think the brake tender circuit--which the accumulator is a part of--is powered off the drive system (the variable displacement pump) See attachment.

As to reliev valves--they are adjustable spring pressure. I THINK all valves used by PT are externally adjustable by loosening a jam nut and then turning the adjustment to vary the spring pressure. You can remove the entire valve from the block it is mounted on without changing the setting to check that the port into the valve is not blocked.

Based on the information you have posted I think the most likely cause of your problem is foreign material somewhere in the lift/tilt/steering system.

Attachments

• PT Hydro Brake.PDF
    776.3 KB · Views: 197
   / Problem with Lift Tilt Dump... #10  
Woodlandfarms This probably isn't your problem but on the 425 if you have the machine cut to an extreme and when you start up the machine you have hold of the steering wheel with pressure to cut it farther that affects the lift and the dump. Did you have the machine fully articulated when this happened? It would be great if something that simple was your problem but as much problems as you have had with busting hoses and the such you probably aren't that lucky. When this occurance happens does the steering perform sluggishly. If a relief valve is stuck open it would cause the problem but you should be able to hear a shishing sound if that is the case. If the steering is ok at all times but the lift and dump isn't I would think that that would be a good sign concerning your pump. I hope you get it worked out soon.