PT1418 w/Briggs engine

/ PT1418 w/Briggs engine #1  

davesisk

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson MF 1220
Hi folks:

So, my old PT1418 has the 18HP Briggs engine. From talking with the factory, they said that they stopped using the Briggs (and replaced it with the Robin) because the bolts on the oil pan work loose and dump all the motor oil unexpectedly. I asked if there's a way to check/tighten these bolts, and the answer was "sure, but you have to take the whole engine out to do so".

Since the engine on mine was replaced 2 years ago, I'd assume that this is probably what happened. I'm just wondering, is it possible to replace the Briggs with the Robin engine, or does this require a huge amount of work to retro-fit?

Best regards,
Dave

/ PT1418 w/Briggs engine #2  
I would check with a small engine shop. I have a case 446, it has a 16 horse Onan, in it but would be replaced with a 18 horse Kohler.

KCook

/ PT1418 w/Briggs engine #3  
Maybe make it a part of your once a year inspection to see how hard it would be to lift the engine and check. Or maybe get a mirror on a stick and check them visually once in a while. I've never heard of Briggs engines doing that. But I've never had any Briggs engine over 8.5 HP either /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif