fire wood splitter

/ fire wood splitter #31  
Well there JJ. Explain that so these good people will know what you mean. It might be they can fugure it out but i can't.

No, I was not trying to embarrass anyone, but to show that the cylinder chosen is not a good choice. A 2 in shaft has much better advantage if you have any potential bending forces. I had to calculate back-wards to find the shaft size, because it was not stated. I used trial and error. You could even use the same cylinder bore and change out the shaft and still have the same push force. The difference would show up in the return stroke. You might get by with that same cylinder for a while, but one day it will come into that big knot, and bend the shaft.

As an illustration your diagram is fine. It looks similar to this commercial model.

Pictures are for reference only.

Attachments

• 52_12.jpg
    52_12.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 307
  • Log splitter.jpg
    Log splitter.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 1,016
   / fire wood splitter #32  
I looked at those units at NH. I don't care much for the design. They had the Powerhorse splitters on display alongside this machine, which made them look like toys. As to their functions, there is no auto return valve, so you have to place logs from both ends of the machine, or run the wedge back manually. They only handle 19" logs, which may be all you need, but the majority of splitters seemed to be designed for something a little bigger.

You would hook the unit up to the PTO QDs. You probably would not have to run the PT at full throttle.

A nice simple concept. Thanks for sharing.

/ fire wood splitter #34  
Yes when I first built the upside down splitter it didn稚 take long to see that it was only handy on splitting and moving the large cuts. That痴 when the upright feature was added. Still haven稚 fixed the frame where I bent it but by not treating it so rough it hasn稚 gotten any worse. It is on my to do list though.
I can't turn mine side ways. Never thought about that when building it. But so far we have been able to make do without that feature.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 358
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 1,220
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 636
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 254
   / fire wood splitter #36  
I thought that this would be a cool idea, like the pictures you showed, but then I watched this thing in action. Man, it looks like you would be chasing wood all day, and for sure you need a wide open area to get your split on...

Hydraulic Log Splitter | Bobcat Log Splitter | Skid Steer Log Splitters

O.K. That video was neat, but geez... the guy had to spread out all those logs so he wouldn't run over them. Then he took about 3 swipes at that second log, then turned it sideways, then another 4-5 swipes. I thought he was going to back over his picnic table or dog there, for a minute.

But is was cool. Had a really fast cycle time, too. I would probably opt to set it up stationary.

/ fire wood splitter #37  
I understand that people really like these "jack of all trades" machines we have, and that they don't necessarily like to maintain another engine. But, there's some things, IMO, that just might be more productive stand-alone, for most people. Two examples come to mind -- a chipper/shredder and a log splitter. I'm not sure but what I'd want to use the PT to move the materials to/from the work area, and let those two attachments have their own power source...

Just my thoughts.

I can see the need to need to mount it to the PT, if you need to move the tool to a remote, inaccessible work area. But, is that always the case?

/ fire wood splitter #38  
I understand that people really like these "jack of all trades" machines we have, and that they don't necessarily like to maintain another engine. But, there's some things, IMO, that just might be more productive stand-alone, for most people. Two examples come to mind -- a chipper/shredder and a log splitter. I'm not sure but what I'd want to use the PT to move the materials to/from the work area, and let those two attachments have their own power source...

Just my thoughts.

I can see the need to need to mount it to the PT, if you need to move the tool to a remote, inaccessible work area. But, is that always the case?

One other thing is a generator. Usually, when the power is out, there is storm damage, ice or snow. I want to be able to use the tractor to clean stuff up and not have to shut down the house power to do it.

However, I could use a log splitter powered by the PT. In my situation, I can haul the logs to a staging area, cut them to length and split them right there and toss them on the trailer to take home. If, for some reason, I need to use the PT, the quick attach is so fast, it just isn't a hindrance to change an implement. Remember, it only takes 30 seconds to change out a powered implement and only 15 for non powered. :D

/ fire wood splitter #39  
Remember, it only takes 30 seconds to change out a powered implement and only 15 for non powered. :D

Just so it has been said, I am so lazy that I will not do a project because of the hastle of swapping implements on the PT..

/ fire wood splitter #40  
One other thing is a generator. Usually, when the power is out, there is storm damage, ice or snow. I want to be able to use the tractor to clean stuff up and not have to shut down the house power to do it.

However, I could use a log splitter powered by the PT. In my situation, I can haul the logs to a staging area, cut them to length and split them right there and toss them on the trailer to take home. If, for some reason, I need to use the PT, the quick attach is so fast, it just isn't a hindrance to change an implement. Remember, it only takes 30 seconds to change out a powered implement and only 15 for non powered. :D

Yes, that's true regarding the log-splitter. But, with the PT-425 I'm putting hours on a $2,000 25HP engine when essentially the same job could be done by a 5-8 HP $400-500 engine. The PT-425 only outputs about 8 hydraulic HP, perhaps 10 HP max (with no load on anything else, sitting stationary), while running a 25HP engine at full-throttle...

WIth a long-splitter you likely wouldn't need full throttle, but stil...