Engine rough idle

/ Engine rough idle #1  

davesisk

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson MF 1220
I used the PT1418 for about 30 minutes last night to move some gravel. I noticed that, with the engine at idle speed, it continuously almost cut off, then surged, and repeated this. It seemed to run OK at higher revs, although not quite as smooth. (This is the 18HP Briggs engine.) Anyone got suggestions? Bad gas? Air filter? Spark plugs? Where to do I need to look.

It was running fine two days ago. Someone used it for about 4 hours Thursday to help me move this gravel, then last night it was running rough. Any ideas what to check?

Regards,
Dave

/ Engine rough idle #2  
Well, I would check the air filter first. Only becouse its the easest to check. It sounds to me like you got some crud in the carb. Does it have a fuel filter? If not put one in, if so does it look plugged? good luck.

/ Engine rough idle
OK, thanks for the tip. My wife and I are going to be gone this weekend, so I'll have to tear into it when we get back.

Thanks alot!
Dave

/ Engine rough idle
By the way, are there any fuel additives, etc., you guys would recommend to clean the carb or any other engine internal parts, etc.? The engine is probably the part I'm the dumbest about...

Regards,
Dave

/ Engine rough idle #5  
As Paul mention check your filters,also the spark plug caps to make sure they are tight on the spark plug.

You may have little water in the fuel..drain the fuel and get some fresh fuel.or just add <font color=red>little<font color=red> <font color=black>dry gas.<font color=black>

Always start w/the smiple stuff and work your way up.

/ Engine rough idle #6  
Idle, what's that? Oh yea, I do that for 1 minute before I turn off the tractor.
PTRich