Aux PTO crossover valve

/ Aux PTO crossover valve #11  
Snow, after reading the above article, I have decided to shutoff the engine before switching couplings. Too much danger involved to do otherwise.

My thanks to everyone for their comments. I was not aware of all the possible safety hazards.

Oh no, don't let the safety police get me.

Bob. Safety is good, but common sense is better. People have been disconnecting hydraulic lines under pressure for ever. You are only safe as much as you want to be. Someone is always telling someone to be more safe. Again, safe is good, but if I had to shut off the engine ever time I get off my PT, I don't think I would own one. We aren't supposed to walk under ladders either, what a bunch of crap. How many people drink and drive. We all take our risk as we see it. I have been safe, and still got hurt. Maybe I could have been more safe. Most everyone tries to be safe, but accidents happen. That's just it, it wasn't planned. Sh** happens.

/ Aux PTO crossover valve #12  
Dear Bob,

You might want to try tuffoil oil additive- I have had good luck with it reducing starting loads on engines; it is supposed to reduce wear and friction. I have had the engines spin faster and catch sooner. (It made a big difference on my V8 diesel.)

And for my $0.02, you might consider letting go on the idea that all engines are like your '69 Rambler...There have been a few design improvements since then. :)

All the best,

Peter

Moss, I used to have a 69 Rambler and the starter was notoriously critical. When the starter was about 5 years old, it would not spin when the engine was hot. It was also very touchy about battery condition and connection conditions. I take that old experience too seriously and don't like to shut off a running engine and then try a restart soon. I guess I need to get over that Rambler.

/ Aux PTO crossover valve
Oh no, don't let the safety police get me.

Bob. Safety is good, but common sense is better. People have been disconnecting hydraulic lines under pressure for ever. You are only safe as much as you want to be. Someone is always telling someone to be more safe. Again, safe is good, but if I had to shut off the engine ever time I get off my PT, I don't think I would own one. We aren't supposed to walk under ladders either, what a bunch of crap. How many people drink and drive. We all take our risk as we see it. I have been safe, and still got hurt. Maybe I could have been more safe. Most everyone tries to be safe, but accidents happen. That's just it, it wasn't planned. Sh** happens.

I was brained washed about safety by working for a large corporation for 30 years. I don't let it interfere with getting things done though.

Dear Bob,

You might want to try tuffoil oil additive- I have had good luck with it reducing starting loads on engines; it is supposed to reduce wear and friction. I have had the engines spin faster and catch sooner. (It made a big difference on my V8 diesel.)

And for my $0.02, you might consider letting go on the idea that all engines are like your '69 Rambler...There have been a few design improvements since then. :)

All the best,

Peter

Something more advanced than a 69 Rambler. Wow. I will let this problem go. Modern starters work a whole lot better. I have not had trouble with the PT in this area.

/ Aux PTO crossover valve #15  
Something more advanced than a 69 Rambler. Wow. I will let this problem go. Modern starters work a whole lot better. I have not had trouble with the PT in this area.

Hey, that 69 Rambler had a lot of advanced features. Especially compared to vehicles of that era.

/ Aux PTO crossover valve #17  
Definitely. But still, designs have moved on. Perhaps not always better, but generally greatly improved, don't you think?

All the best,

Peter

Hey, that 69 Rambler had a lot of advanced features. Especially compared to vehicles of that era.

I kept if for 14 years and was able to fix the problems quickly by that point since I knew all of its weakness. I almost bought a Vega instead, so it was far superior to that.

/ Aux PTO crossover valve #19  
I agree. One of the pleasures of the PT is that it is user serviceable, and (mostly) user diagnosable, unlike my recent cars...

All the best,

Peter
I kept if for 14 years and was able to fix the problems quickly by that point since I knew all of its weakness. I almost bought a Vega instead, so it was far superior to that.

I agree. One of the pleasures of the PT is that it is user serviceable, and (mostly) user diagnosable, unlike my recent cars...

All the best,

Peter

Peter, I don't mean to be argumentative, but the new cars can be user serviced if you buy the OEM service manual (not other ones) and the diagnostic computer. I still do most of my own work. A little less than before, cause I am a little lazier and have a little more money. Oops, I did have a little more money. The Rambler was an excellent learning car for me and my first car. It had many minor design flaws, but no really major ones.