Tires Cheap Tire Changer for PT

/ Cheap Tire Changer for PT #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
I realized I am spending way too much to taking my tires in the shop.

I looked at HF, and there $50 tire changer won't handle my 24 12 12 tires. Anyone have a CHEAP tire changer they can recommend?

/ Cheap Tire Changer for PT #3  
Carl I was looking at that Harbor Freight tire changer as it is on sale at the local store for $40.
Why would it not work on power trac wheels? It states it will work on tires from 8 inch to 7.5 x 16 and flotation tires up to 12.5L 16 and I see they have an adapter for ATV tires.

/ Cheap Tire Changer for PT #4  
Dear Carl,

Get yourself a couple of nice, spoon shaped tire irons to go with this, and a bucket of Murphy's rim lubricant, and you should be ready to go.

Have fun,

Peter

/ Cheap Tire Changer for PT
Pony, are you referring to ernemats post? I looked at this tire changer, but was confused on tire dimensions. I thought my 24. 12. 12 tires would not fit, but maybe I am misreading the dimensions.

So, how hard is to use this thing? Clearly a nice hydraulic unit would be great, but I don't have that kind of money.

Also, can I get these bobcat style 8 ply tires off or just my 4 ply balloons....

Also, my PT... The rims are inset the full depth as they are duallies. The center part of the rim is not in the middle of the rim but on the very edge. Would that mean anything?

/ Cheap Tire Changer for PT #6  
i'm not familiar with the type of tires you are talking about.....i'm assuming a ditch witch style.....

the cheapest would be what grandpa calls a glut.....like a sledge hammer with one side extending out and having a blunt end......to break the bead.....then, as suggested, use spoons......

they're hard to find but the old coats manual tire changers can be bought for aobut 100-150 bucks......they are great on car tires......on atv tires, i have to play with it a bit......with what you are talking about, some simple welded in extensions, etc., would turn them in to a ditch witch tire changer....

sometimes they go cheap on ebay becuase you can really ship them.....

/ Cheap Tire Changer for PT #7  
If you want to break the bead use a smal piece of 2x4 and your bucket
Then 2 tire irons to get them off the rim
don't forgetto look at the drop center some are offset they come off the closest to the bead easier.

tom

/ Cheap Tire Changer for PT #8  
Pony, are you referring to ernemats post? I looked at this tire changer, but was confused on tire dimensions. I thought my 24. 12. 12 tires would not fit, but maybe I am misreading the dimensions.

So, how hard is to use this thing? Clearly a nice hydraulic unit would be great, but I don't have that kind of money.

Also, can I get these bobcat style 8 ply tires off or just my 4 ply balloons....

Also, my PT... The rims are inset the full depth as they are duallies. The center part of the rim is not in the middle of the rim but on the very edge. Would that mean anything?

I read that thing as 16" rim diameter and 12.5" rim width maximums. I'm not 100% sure I am correct, though.

I have its baby brother. It's the only way I have able to properly mount and demount the infamous 400 series mower wheels with tubes added. A generous dollop of Murphy's Oil Soap helps a lot.

/ Cheap Tire Changer for PT #9  
Carl,

If you are worried about sizing, I would call and ask.

As Flatheadyoungin wrote, all you really need is a bead breaker, and a set of tire irons. (I prefer the spoon shaped ends, which are much, much less likely to nick the bead.)

You break the bead with the bead breaker, or your 2x4, preferably nicely sanded 2x4, slip one or both irons under the bead, and pop a section of bead over. Then you leave one iron in place, and lever up another section of bead. I have seen little clips on some tire irons to help hold them in place while you are messing with the other one, and it sometimes helps to have a long one for levering the new section of bead up, and a short one for holding the bead up. Alot comes down to how tightly the bead matches the rim.

It is great grunt work, and as SnowRidge mentioned, Murphy's oil soap, or their tire lubricant, which looks suspiciously similar, and you are all set.

All of which begs the question about why you need to do this so often and whether the right sealant or tire pressure wouldn't be more productive in the long run...

I remember a bad set of tubed tires we had when I was kid. 17 flats in six weeks, only one of which was due to a nail like thorn- the rest were due to small cracks on the inside of the tire literally eating away at the tube. Let's just say it was ugly time period.

All the best,

Peter

/ Cheap Tire Changer for PT
My flats have been a major frustration, and in looking at how much I have spent dealing with it, probably the most expensive repair on my PT. Honestly, I think I have spent nearly $500 in dealing with my tires so far.

They are, for the most part, used. My initial problems were valve stem related (Tubeless). I put on steel stems, that helped a bit (not cheap) but I still got debris between the tire and rim. So now I am switching out the tires to tubes, with valve stem protector welded on. Thankfully ken sent me 2 extra tires so I have not had any serious downtime.

I have up north 2 flats. I figure it will be 30 to 40 all in to get them fixed at the shop. Then this conversation came up about the tire changer. Never thought of doing it myself.

My PT runs in some rough areas, although it is improving. The rims are rough at best. The tires are not new. I run about 8lbs on the high end.

Carl