Another New Kid on the Block

/ Another New Kid on the Block #1  

hcarter62

Tractor
N.H. TC21D, JD 325 Case 1140
Folks, I have been reading your comments for a few months now I think between all of your opinions you have swayed me to puchace a PT 422. I currently own a 2001 JD 325 w/ 48 inch deck and a snowblower( 62 hours),a Gravely 424, and a early 90's 26HP Case 1140 compact with FEL, 148 hours. ( now marketed as Cub Cadet). What really impresses me about the PT is the quick hitch for implements. I already have a list of attatchment in my head that could be easily made. Besides my already fulltime job as a wastewater treatment plant superintendent I have started installing home based golf putting greens.
My case tractor with Ag's is tearing up the lawns. My questions is should I order bar treads with the 422 or turf tires? What I think I will do is take an old front tine rototiller, take the B&S motor off from it, install a hydraulic motor and weld up a hitch adapter to lossen up the soil prior to removing w/ the small bucket with teeth. What I need to do is remove 4 inches of top soil and replace with stone dust. As a compactor I have a pull behind roller (stainless with pillar bearings) that I could also attach a quick hitch too with hydraulic down pressure.
Do these things sound reasonable?
Thoughts and comments?

/ Another New Kid on the Block #2  
I have the bar tires, they do not mark the lawn up or tear it. If I remember right the tiller that PT has is very reasonable in price. What state do you install these greens, my boss is having one installed at his house this summer.

/ Another New Kid on the Block
PTRich,
Thanks for the info. I am doing the synthetic putting greens in So. Maine

/ Another New Kid on the Block #4  
Your side line business venture sounds very interesting. As far as the tire issue I will let the experts guide you.
I was interested in your comment regarding list of attachments to make. We are all interested in this topic so keep us informed of progress and pictures if possible.
Can you update your profile? helpful to know your location and interests.
Welcome on board, TBN and its members are the very best.
PJ

/ Another New Kid on the Block #5  
Welcome!

Man, looks like Muhammed did a really good thing by creating this PT group. Power-trac may gain some customers off this group. Muhammed, you should contact them about advertising on TBN, if you haven't already!

Dave

I have a digital camara so posting pictures would be easy, but how do I update my profile?

/ Another New Kid on the Block #7  
Scroll up to the top and click on the control panel.

/ Another New Kid on the Block #8  
I, too, have the bar treads and notice no damage to my lawn. I help out a landscaper friend, sometimes; I think you'll find the manuverability of the PT really helpful. It will also fit through a 4 ft. gate with the small bucket on. I'll be looking forward to seeing pics of your new 422 and the attachments you adapt to it. /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif

I believe you guys have convinced me to go with the bar treads. At this time I don't plan on mowing with this machine, but you never really know.
The main reason the PT interests me is the handling of the machine. Although I have not operated one, your discusions confirm the manuverability of the unit. Thanks for all the help guys and happy tractoring.
P.S. Maybe I will take some pictures this week of the backhoe I am building

/ Another New Kid on the Block #10  
Welcome aboard /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

With all the praise the bar tread tires are getting, now I feel left out /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif I bought turfs /w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif.

/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

While the PTs don't tear up the turf, 30 trips with a full bucket over the same place will damage it /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif. But that is a no brainer. I used my PT425 to tear out an old area about 12 x 16 yesterday. Had to go 6 inches deep. Took about 30 trips with the small bucket through two 4 foot gates. A real snake path to get there. I had to go over the same area each trip, so there was no way that I wasn't going to damage the grass. It didn't tear it up at all, just flattened all the life out of it. I'll post some pics over in the "What did you do with your PT today?" thread after I take some in the next few days.

You'll love the manuverability.

Can't wait to see your projects.

As someone else stated, the PT tiller is pretty reasonably priced. You might want to price out hydraulic motors and linkage. It could be almost half the cost of a new tiller.

Again, welcome aboard!