Mowing You can't put a Mower on a PT TLB?

/ You can't put a Mower on a PT TLB? #1  

ToolcatWonka5610

Gold Member
I noticed on the PT price sheet for the PT 2425, 2430, 2445, 2460 that you can't put a mower on them? Why is that? I'm think that a PT2430 or 2445 may be more suited to our needs but we'd be using a mower on it.

/ You can't put a Mower on a PT TLB? #2  
I'm sure the mowers would work on fairly flat land, but the tlb's look like they would be unstable on side hills so PT don't recommend them. I could be wrong though.

/ You can't put a Mower on a PT TLB? #3  
I would try and talk to someone who has one regarding their characteristics. I don't think anybody on the forum has any experience with them.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me. ;)

/ You can't put a Mower on a PT TLB? #4  
There are 2445 members here; just not oodles of them. :)

As RegL pointed out, the high center of gravity of the backhoe models greatly reduce their slope operating limits. If you are thinking of doing both, I would encourage you to think about what you want to use a backhoe for, and to see if you couldn't get the job done another way. Personally, I only needed trenching and terracing work, which I have been able to do with the PT trencher. (It works great, but if you have really rocky soil, I would replace the chain with one that has carbide prongs. Ditto for lots of large roots.)

There are other alternatives; e.g. the Aebi, an Artic Cat. But the PT is a reasonably cheap solution provided you are willing to do your own repairs and willing on occasion to modify the equipment to meet your particular needs.

All the best,

Peter
I would try and talk to someone who has one regarding their characteristics. I don't think anybody on the forum has any experience with them.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me. ;)

/ You can't put a Mower on a PT TLB? #5  
I think someone here modified a 2445 backhoe to fit on a 1445 Looked a little weird but if it works, wow....

/ You can't put a Mower on a PT TLB? #7  
I've got a 2425........when I purchased it PT originally didn't want to sell a brush cutter with it. The explanation was that the oil cooling was different on the tall boys and the cutters would overheat it. Since I only need it to run up and down my drive and across the front they didn't think it would be a problem for me........and it hasn't. But if I'm running it more than 20 minutes that's a lot. I will say that the mounting distance is diffrent and as originally shipped the cutter was chewing up my tires until I shifted the mounting plate on the cutter.

As for slopes, I've been on some steep areas on our property and never had the machine feel like it was tipping.........now since you sit up higher YOU feel like you're going to fall off........a good reason for keeping that seat belt buckled!

Jack

/ You can't put a Mower on a PT TLB? #8  
I have had a 1430 since 2003 and just acquired a used pt2430. I've only had a little time on the 2430 but can pretty much tell that I won't be using it much for mowing. It handles much different than the 1430. First off your sitting on the back half of the tractor and the steering is much more sensitive and kind of hard to keep the attachment going where you want it to. The tlb is also quite a bit heavier, especially if the backhoe is attached. My son was just driving the tractor up a moderate hill in the yard and I noticed that the engine was laboring. Probable would have stalled if mowing high grass. Another disadvantage is that the 2430 does not have draft control and I think those longer and heaver loader arm would just be to much for the mower to carry for long in float. Let's see, one more thing. The drivers seat is mounted on top of the engine, so if your going to be mowing all day you better ware your asbestos shorts.

I know I sound a little negative about the tlb but it only applies to mowing and such. I'm really kind of excited about my new toytool and think it will be a compliment to the 1430.

/ You can't put a Mower on a PT TLB? #9  
Mowing two acres with mower deck on pt 2445. When I was in Tazwell, I was told some models of mower would not work due to oil temp problems. (Fail mower) I have the two blade mower & it has worked well. I've used it on moderate slopes on a ditch that runs across my lot. Many years practice with smaller mowers kept me alert to angle. The rest of the lot has a slight slope that gives no problem. I'll tell you, I can mow the whole lot in about 75 minutes.
tks
tim

/ You can't put a Mower on a PT TLB? #10  
Mowing two acres with mower deck on pt 2445. When I was in Tazwell, I was told some models of mower would not work due to oil temp problems. (Fail mower) I have the two blade mower & it has worked well. I've used it on moderate slopes on a ditch that runs across my lot. Many years practice with smaller mowers kept me alert to angle. The rest of the lot has a slight slope that gives no problem. I'll tell you, I can mow the whole lot in about 75 minutes.
tks
tim

Maybe I'll change my mind after I try it. Do you mow with the mower in float?