Locked up and nowhere to go

/ Locked up and nowhere to go #31  
OK, now things are going to get weird.

First, I have no identification on my tractor as to serial or date. Those were removed. I need to dbl check with Ken, but who he (we) purchased from said it was a 2002 model. But, the guy was high as a kite so who knows.

Second, I do not have a visible brake system like the that 1850 that had been rolled in the lake. I just have wheel motors.

What has me really confused is that my wheel motors have 3 hoses runing to them (as I remember). Two large and one small. I always thought the small was the brake system, but it has to be the overflow/purge/whatever the name is I cannot remember.

So, I have NO clue how my systems brakes work. Here is a pix of the front drivers wheel and the hoses I see going to it (taken some time ago).

Maybe there is a 4th line (Case Drain, now I remember) that is hidden from this photo... Ken, Peter?

Carl, I am just guessing here, but you guys that have hydraulic internal brakes, how do you apply brakes? Since most case drains come off the bottom of the case, I am thinking that small black line going into the square metal piece is the brake actuator line. Can you follow the line back to the origination point. Again, just a logical deduction. What say you guys? I am also guessing that your brakes are spring applied and hydraulicly released.

/ Locked up and nowhere to go #32  
Peter, when you say spring applied. Do you have the hydraulic brake Tender or something different?

/ Locked up and nowhere to go #33  
Carl, I am just guessing here, but you guys that have hydraulic internal brakes, how do you apply brakes? Since most case drains come off the bottom of the case, I am thinking that small black line going into the square metal piece is the brake actuator line. Can you follow the line back to the origination point. Again, just a logical deduction. What say you guys?

Flip a lever on the brake tender. This is also a device that should you need to you can manually pump the brakes up (disengage).

I am not there. Hopefully Ken S doesn't have a full weekend and he can scout this out real quick.

Attachments

• IMG_0449_8.JPG
    IMG_0449_8.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 65
   / Locked up and nowhere to go #34  
Flip a lever on the brake tender. This is also a device that should you need to you can manually pump the brakes up (disengage).

I am not there. Hopefully Ken S doesn't have a full weekend and he can scout this out real quick.

Carl, When you are sitting still, are the brakes applied, and when the engine is off, are the brakes applies? If that is true, then that small black hyd hose is the brake line, and works like this. Below a certain psi, maybe around 600, the spring brakes automatically apply, which is good, especially in an emergency situation, such as lost power. Now as you begin moving, the pressure rises above the set limit, the brakes are released. Now when you want to move the machine, you have to pump up some pressure to release the brakes so the wheels can turn. I don't believe you have to do anything to set the brakes, they work automatically.

/ Locked up and nowhere to go #35  
What has me really confused is that my wheel motors have 3 hoses runing to them (as I remember). Two large and one small. I always thought the small was the brake system, but it has to be the overflow/purge/whatever the name is I cannot remember.

Case drains, if not brakes.

/ Locked up and nowhere to go
I have no brake tender. In the event that the engine stalls out, and I need to move the tractor, I would have to hookup a hydraulic pump and pump up the brake system to release the brakes.

My motors have four hoses; two large, two small- they are forward, reverse, case drain, and brakes, respectively. Photo below.

All the best,

Peter

Attachments

• PT1445_ 029.jpg
    PT1445_ 029.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 77
   / Locked up and nowhere to go #37  
I have no brake tender. In the event that the engine stalls out, and I need to move the tractor, I would have to hookup a hydraulic pump and pump up the brake system to release the brakes.

My motors have four hoses; two large, two small- they are forward, reverse, case drain, and brakes, respectively. Photo below.

All the best,

Peter

Peter,

Good Picture, That explains your system quite well. To have to pump up some pressure explains the spring applied and hydraulic release.

/ Locked up and nowhere to go
Not to confuse things, but there are two sets of springs
  1. the springs internal to the drive motors that apply the brakes when there is insufficient hydraulic pressure
  2. the spring on the charging valve that switches the auxiliary hydraulic pump into and out of bypass mode

All the best,

Peter
Peter,
Good Picture, That explains your system quite well. To have to pump up some pressure explains the spring applied and hydraulic release.

/ Locked up and nowhere to go #39  
Carl, When you are sitting still, are the brakes applied, and when the engine is off, are the brakes applies? If that is true, then that small black hyd hose is the brake line, and works like this. Below a certain psi, maybe around 600, the spring brakes automatically apply, which is good, especially in an emergency situation, such as lost power. Now as you begin moving, the pressure rises above the set limit, the brakes are released. Now when you want to move the machine, you have to pump up some pressure to release the brakes so the wheels can turn. I don't believe you have to do anything to set the brakes, they work automatically.

Yup. Sounds like my tractor. Now the mystery question, no case drains? And I thought that is what was sent to the cooler... Oh boy do I ever need a schematic... Or just to look at them again. I do not remember the case drains but that would be impossible I think.

/ Locked up and nowhere to go #40  
OK, now things are going to get weird.

First, I have no identification on my tractor as to serial or date. Those were removed. I need to dbl check with Ken, but who he (we) purchased from said it was a 2002 model. But, the guy was high as a kite so who knows.

Second, I do not have a visible brake system like the that 1850 that had been rolled in the lake. I just have wheel motors.

So, I have NO clue how my systems brakes work. Here is a pix of the front drivers wheel and the hoses I see going to it (taken some time ago).

Maybe there is a 4th line (Case Drain, now I remember) that is hidden from this photo... Ken, Peter?

Perhaps I am seeing things but there appears to be a hydraulic hose (vertical) visible in th picture behind the large hoses to the wheel motor. If it is in fact a hydraulic hose it might be the case drain and the small hose going to the upper part of the motor could be the brake hose.