Running on one Cylinder

/ Running on one Cylinder #31  
BobRip,

Here is some info I received the other day that I put on my Thread, 422 eng. problem..AGAIN-

"I spoke with a man who works on small engines in another state, and he told me that Robin and Honda engines with the "pulse fuel pump" are known to have issues with pin holes in the diaphrams. He said he has changed 3 pumps in the last two weeks. Also said that B&S makes the same pump for about half the price.

So, I am hoping that changing that pump next, will do the cure."

I am going out today to try and find a new fuel pump.

Where did you get you "new" one? Price?

/ Running on one Cylinder
BobRip,

Here is some info I received the other day that I put on my Thread, 422 eng. problem..AGAIN-

"I spoke with a man who works on small engines in another state, and he told me that Robin and Honda engines with the "pulse fuel pump" are known to have issues with pin holes in the diaphrams. He said he has changed 3 pumps in the last two weeks. Also said that B&S makes the same pump for about half the price.

So, I am hoping that changing that pump next, will do the cure."

I am going out today to try and find a new fuel pump.

Where did you get you "new" one? Price?

I got it at Continental Engine. It was around $41 plus shipping about $7. I got some carb gaskets which I don't plan to use at this time. Their telephone number is 800-922-5632. I found that the engine would run if you fill up the tank (at least on mine) since the gas level is higher than the carb in this situation. If you blow into the fuel pump outlet and air comes out the inlet then the pump is bad. I don't know if it is good if you cannot blow through it. Does gas flow out of the pump inlet hose when disconnected from the pump?

I looked for pinholes and did not see any. It looked like the check valves were not closing.

/ Running on one Cylinder #33  
Not sure about the "blow and flow", but I talked to the place that I bought my Ariens zero turn (B and S eng.) a few years back about the "pulse fuel pump". There is one exactly like the one on my PT that is also on my Ariens.
Prices: $19.95 - $56.00!
The lowest priced one he was ordering from Honda!
Unbelievable price differences! The guy said he could not believe it either, and that he never noticed such a difference before, especially seeing they are the same part.
I don't know what PT is selling them for, but I am learning to "by-pass" Power Trac for any parts if at all possible.

/ Running on one Cylinder #34  
I am curious why you guys think the fuel pump has anything with the engine running on one cylinder. Whether you have a good supply of fuel, or not, both cylinders get the same amount. If one cylinder is not firing, that is electrical. If you have replaced the coil, and plugs, don't know what else could cause the trouble except a weak magnet, if that is what it uses for the spark generation. Does that flywheel have two magnets. Clean them both with sand paper/emery paper.

/ Running on one Cylinder
I am curious why you guys think the fuel pump has anything with the engine running on one cylinder. Whether you have a good supply of fuel, or not, both cylinders get the same amount. If one cylinder is not firing, that is electrical. If you have replaced the coil, and plugs, don't know what else could cause the trouble except a weak magnet, if that is what it uses for the spark generation. Does that flywheel have two magnets. Clean them both with sand paper/emery paper.

I don't think the fuel pump has anything to do with running on one cylinder. I should have broken this into two threads. The bad coil and fuel pump caused two separate issues. Sorry for the confusion. The fuel pump caused the engine to stall at low fuel levels in the tank. It might have been bad for awhile since I tend to keep the tank pretty full. Thanks for bringing this up J_J.