Towing the Brute Home

/ Towing the Brute Home #1  

wasabi

Platinum Member
Tractor
PT2445 and PT1850
Late next week, I'm scheduled to head to the midwest to inspect, verify condition and, if all goes as planned, pick up my PT 2445 trailer package. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif The seller just informed me via e-mail that the trailer has what he called a pentle hitch (pintle?). I've seen them but have zero experience to compare. We have the ball type on all our vehicles and also on a buddy's Suburban that we will be using for this haul.

I'm looking for feedback and suggestions on the various pentle hitch variations vs. ball type. I think the simple solution might be a Reese like insert with Pentle hitch, but with no experience I frankly don't know. I've also called the PT factory and am waiting to hear back about picking up the bolt on plate that converts the trailer to 2 5/16 ball type hitch. Trailer has dual 5,000 lb drop axles with elec brakes and breakaway feature....rated at 10,000 lbs but probably weighs more like 8,000 with this load. Comments?

Would also appreciate any insights or suggestions on what to look or watch out for as I check this used gear out. It has been represented as very well maintained, in ready-to-go-to-work operating condition, and I have no reason to doubt that, but I grew up in Missouri (the show me state), so I tend to follow the "verify first" philosophy.

/ Towing the Brute Home #2  
Stick with the pintle. If you have a receiver hitch you can pick up a slide in pintle for ~ $75. I'd think changing the tongue of the trailer would be expensive. All the heavy duty trailers I've seen are of the pintle hook variety.

/ Towing the Brute Home #3  
http://www.draw-tite.com/products/products/bmhb_pintle_hooks.shtml

Drop Forged Rigid Type Pintle Hooks

All Pintle Hooks Come Complete With:
Grade 8 Mounting Hardware Kits

Tethered Locking Pin

Black Finish

Drawbar Eye Dimensions 2" to 3" I.D. With 1-1/4" To 1-5/8" Diameter Section

Drop Forged Pintle Hooks

Drop Forged Rigid Type Pintle Hooks

Part No.
Description Rating
TW/GTW
4205 5 Ton Regular Pintle Hook 2,000 / 10,000 lbs.

4206 15 Ton Regular Pintle Hook 6,000 / 30,000 lbs.

Note: Never Exceed the Maximum Weight Rating of the Receiver Hitch or O.E.M. Ratings of the Tow Vehicle

Drop Forged Pintle Hitch & Ball Combination

Interchangeable Chrome-Moly Hitch Ball With Hard Chrome Surface

Large 11/8" Ball Shank With Indexing Flats to Compensate for Wear

Draw Eye Dimensions: 2" to 3" I.D. with 1" to 1-9/16" Cross Section

Pintle Hitch & Ball Combination

Drop Forged Pintle Hitch & Ball Combination

Part No.
Description Rating
TW/GTW
4202 1-7/8" Ball and Pintle Hook 3,000 / 16,000 lbs.

4203 2" Ball and Pintle Hook 3,000 / 16,000 lbs.

4204 2-5/8" Ball and Pintle Hook 3,000 / 16,000 lbs.

Note: Never Exceed the Maximum Weight Rating of the Receiver Hitch or O.E.M. Ratings of the Tow Vehicle

©2002 Draw-Tite Inc. || 40500 Van Born Road || Canton, MI 48188-2999

/ Towing the Brute Home #4  
Doug:
There are innumerable sources for trailer and hitch equipment. I've never hauled any distance with a pintle hitch, but have towed some fairly heavy (12,000 lb) short distances with a 2 5/16 ball. I think either will do fine for your purposes. I like load leveling hitches, and adjust my trailers with a lot of tongue weight. I have found that they trail more calmly with that setup. I have been advised by an engineer who is a real expert, however, that load leveling hitches tend to increase jacknife tendency, because they unweight the rear truck tires. He recommends careful matching of the rear truck tires to the load, and a regular ball or pintle, without load leveling. This requires, of course, stout rear truck springs, as well, if the trailer has significant tongue weight..
I know you don't have the flexibility to tailor your one-time hauling vehicle to the trailer, but you do need to ensure that it is up to the job. Most important, I believe, are the brakes. Make sure the trailer brakes are functioning properly, and the controller is properly adjusted. The trailer is big enough to put the truck in trouble quickly.
For trailer and hitch parts, I have gotten great service, including nearly instantaneous shipping from Franklin Trailers. <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.franklintrailers.com/>LINK</A> I am sure there are lots of other good places.
Have a great trip.

/ Towing the Brute Home
Thanks for the advice and links. I've decided to go with the Pintle hitch.

Have yet to talk with my buddy as he is traveling, but what ever is required for his vehicle, we'll pick up on the way and I'll give to him (along with a promised fishing trip) for his help in the adventure. I'll then pick up a Reese type pintle hitch and brake controller for our Toyota Land Cruiser for occasional hauling of this gear (only close to home).

The PT Trailer has height adjustments (connecting plate has multiple bolt hole locations) which allow for the load leveling you refer to. I'll look at it with bud, but since he frequently hauls horse trailers and heavy equipment with his vehicle, I'll defer to his judgement.

Thanks again guys!

/ Towing the Brute Home #6  
I, too, thank everyone for their advice and thank Doug for asking a question that I had thought about after viewing a video but had forgotten since then. It was also comforting to know that you plan to occasionally tow your 2445 trailer package around with a Land Cruiser which means that I shouldn't have too much trouble using mine ("bruiser") to tow a 2425 trailer package.

/ Towing the Brute Home
Careful with that assumption, DelW.

With the Toyota Land Cruiser weighing in at a bit over 7500 lbs, hauling my gear with it is marginal. I'm planning to give it a careful go, but, believe me I'll be triple checking brakes, connections, etc., and will be more than cautious. I'll likely not venture out in anything but dry conditions. In our area, some of the roads are steep enough that snow will dang near slide off them of its own accord. /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

You best back up your conclusions with sound advice from veteran users, not this newbie. You will probably be fine as you say, but I'm not sure how well I would sleep knowing you relied on my rudimentary understanding of physics /w3tcompact/icons/hmm.gif. As an investment guy, I understand math, but I'm no rocket scientist and I probably have less than 200 hours of towing experience in 51 years! Take care and be safe, whatever you do!