425 Wheel Motors

/ 425 Wheel Motors #1  

Clarke

Gold Member
Tractor
PT425
Has anybody resealed and installed bearings, if necessary, in their own wheel motors. I've down loaded the seal installation instructions, it doesn't seem to be a difficult repair. Any personal experience would be appreciated.

SG

/ 425 Wheel Motors #2  
i've attempted to repair my 1430 wheel motor once so far. i took off the back end to replace the seals but when i was putting it back together some of the bearings that were on a ring fell out and these were not in the seal kit. so, in order not to cause any more damage to the motor i bit the bullet and sent it down to Power trac for the repair. next time, i have a have a better idea of what to order from a white distributor for the other bearings that i may need in addition to the seal kit so when i attempt it again next time i will have all the parts that i think i will need on hand so i can do it all in one shot. one tip: take some red fingernail polish after you take the motor out and draw a line down the center of the motor so you have a reference of how it all aligns when you put it back together. Hope this helps.

/ 425 Wheel Motors #3  
I had a leaking seal in one of my 425's wheel motors. It's been so long ago that I don't remember any details, other than I bought a seal kit for it. I do know I cleaned everything in a parts washer before I put it back together.

I have a 20 ton press. I'm pretty sure I had to use it.

I have another wheel motor that developed a leak on the self. I just haven't gotten around to fixing it.

/ 425 Wheel Motors
Thanks for the help. I guess it's not to popular repairing your own wheel motors. I'm going to try it after I get a spare motor. I've found several places to purchase the motor at a better price. Horticattleman states the shaft is ground to PT's spec. is this true.

sg

/ 425 Wheel Motors #5  
I dont exactly remember what was the deal with the motors (Powertrac sent me the first three replacements under warranty and I bought the last one from them like an idiot).

I am sorry now I remember. It was the motor on the trencher that was milled down and White said they could not provide a replacement.

/ 425 Wheel Motors #6  
The wheel motors have a standard a 1-1/4" tapered shaft.

/ 425 Wheel Motors
Why did your wheel motors need replacing and not repairable.

sg

/ 425 Wheel Motors #8  
The wheel motors have a standard a 1-1/4" tapered shaft.

The later model, "higer torque" White CE ones have 1.25" shaft. The earlier model, White RS ones have a 1" tapered shaft.

/ 425 Wheel Motors #9  
one tip: take some red fingernail polish after you take the motor out and draw a line down the center of the motor so you have a reference of how it all aligns when you put it back together. Hope this helps.

I scratch a match mark along the side of the motor. Solvent can't remove it.

/ 425 Wheel Motors #10  
The later model, "higer torque" White CE ones have 1.25" shaft. The earlier model, White RS ones have a 1" tapered shaft.

Yep. Gotta make sure which version you have. I've got the "high torque" White motors. I shudder to think about working on my slopes with the "low torque" version...