repower

/ repower #11  
I always wondered why you couldn't power it off of a belt drive instead of a direct connection to the engine shaft? That way, you could run it off of just about any engine available, like a Chevy 153 straight 4 from the 60s. Simple as simple gets and would last a lifetime in these machines.:)

Yeah, water cooling and twice the size and weight of the Kohler or Robin is simple -- NOT. Of course, you could always mount it on top of the hood, cut a slot in the hood, and belt drive the sucker from above. :eek: :rolleyes:

Actually, I think I saw something like that at a speed show years ago. No wait, that was a corvette powered bug-eyed Sprite. It couldn't corner, either. :p

/ repower #12  
Though I own a Kohler-powered PT-425, I think if I had a later model Robin-powered one with all the pumps on one end of the engine, that I'd consider using a Honda for a air-cooled repower over the Kohler...

I have never heard ANYTHING negative about Honda commercial-grade engines, and they power most of the small rental equipment on the market. Look at the cement mixers, etc., that get used all day for a living -- chances are, it's Honda-powered. If not, it's more likely to be a Kawasaki, instead of a Kohler, Briggs or Robin (in that order)...

Another major reason is NOISE -- Honda engines quietly purr....

I think with a Honda-powered PT, you'd probably notice the hydraulic whine more than the engine noise...

/ repower #13  
Though I own a Kohler-powered PT-425, I think if I had a later model Robin-powered one with all the pumps on one end of the engine, that I'd consider using a Honda for a air-cooled repower over the Kohler...

I have never heard ANYTHING negative about Honda commercial-grade engines, and they power most of the small rental equipment on the market. Look at the cement mixers, etc., that get used all day for a living -- chances are, it's Honda-powered. If not, it's more likely to be a Kawasaki, instead of a Kohler, Briggs or Robin (in that order)...

I think with a Honda-powered PT, you'd probably notice the hydraulic whine more than the engine noise...

If it would fit, it might be worth the effort. I've never had any problems with any Honda engine. I can't say that about any other brand. If they just made a diesel . . . .

/ repower #14  
If it would fit, it might be worth the effort. I've never had any problems with any Honda engine. I can't say that about any other brand. If they just made a diesel . . . .

I believe that Kohler makes a diesel. Liquid cooled, and air cooled.

/ repower #15  
I believe that Kohler makes a diesel. Liquid cooled, and air cooled.

Yes, Kohler has some diesels. Whether or not any of them would be suitable replacements is another question. I have no idea how successful they are as a product line.

/ repower
Guys, what about a 31 hp. briggs&stratton? can you get a stub shaft for them,like kohlers.
mine has the pumps on both ends........jim

/ repower #17  
Maybe too much HP? I still think the Honda engine would be way cool.

Although you are talking gas, may not be as much of an issue...

/ repower #18  
That 31 hp Briggs would be cool. I talked to Scarg (remember the 429 Kawi engine http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/power-trac/110268-pt-429-project.html ) and he said he had to do a ton of reserch to finally find an engine that could fit down in the tup of the 400 series PT. He said not too many would fit and the Kawi just fit. I am only assuming but I think that engine would fit that catagory of not fitting.

/ repower
3238dpw, i was hoping it would work,but i have pumps on both ends. so i need a stub shaft,plus it about 2.5" longer than the robin.......jim

/ repower #20  

I don't have much experience with honda but have read that their larger engines, above 12hp or so, are not reliable like their smaller engines. Also, I went to Honda engines web site and could not find a horizontal shaft model over 20.5 hp.