repower

/ repower #1  

johara1

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ventrac 4500P
Hi guys it's been a long time,but i had nothing going wrong. Now i think i would like a new engine,the robin 25 would be simple but the kohler may be a better deal.The problems are the wiring,has anybody did this before?the fab. of the mounts is no big deal but the wiring change from the robin 22 to the kohler has me stumped......jim

/ repower #2  
Hi guys it's been a long time,but i had nothing going wrong. Now i think i would like a new engine,the robin 25 would be simple but the kohler may be a better deal.The problems are the wiring,has anybody did this before?the fab. of the mounts is no big deal but the wiring change from the robin 22 to the kohler has me stumped......jim

The change over should not be a problem. Each Kohler engine should include an owners manual, that has the wiring diagram for the electrics. You should use Kohler's ign switch. so you don't burn up the wiring. There are a lot of those similar ign switches around and if used with the wrong switch, bad things could happen. The one on your machine might be the same, but I would test the configuration for the switch and plug.To bad you can't use a Kohler 25 HP vertical engine, you can get them for about $700.00.

/ repower
JJ,what about all the other wiring on the tractor? would it be the same? i would like to see a wiring diagram for the kohler,i have the one for robin.
i was thinking of getting a kohler with the controls and switch on it and just move it to the front.that way i wouldn't make a mistake.........jim

/ repower #5  
JJ,what about all the other wiring on the tractor? would it be the same? i would like to see a wiring diagram for the Kohler,i have the one for robin.
i was thinking of getting a Kohler with the controls and switch on it and just move it to the front.that way i wouldn't make a mistake.........jim

Jim.

I agree with your plan. Just make up a wiring harness from the motor to the front. Maybe 4 wires.

Go to the Kohler web site, and specify the engine, and I am sure you can download the manuals.

As far as all the wiring on the PT, there is probably a common point for the 12v accessories, and there is an accessories lug on the back of the Kohler switch.

http://www.kohlerengines.com/manuals/landing.htm

26 hp page 98 of 232.

There are other engines on this link, so go to the right and select the owners or service manusl for the engine you want.

/ repower
JJ,sounds like a plan,thanks..
MR,do you have the wiring print for your 425? so i can compare it to my robin print? you know it's been a couple years,i'm retired looking for something to do like a big motor.....jim

/ repower #7  
I think it would be a whole lot easier to install a new Robin and be done with it.

Kohlers are not trouble free engines. If you go to somewhere like http://www.lawnsite.com, you will find that they have their issues like all brands. The CH25s have a history of bad valve lifters and dropped valve seats. Mine has dropped a valve seat twice, once under warranty, and once on my nickel.

If I ever have to repower my PT-425, I won't switch engine brands. It's just too much work for no gain. The electrical hook up would be the easy part. Fabricating and/or locating and purchasing the various mounts, rigging the exhaust, checking and verify clearances, routing or rerouting hoses if necessary, would all be a real PITA. And there is always the possibility of making a serious mistake along the way that won't reveal itself until much later.

Now if the replacement engine was a diesel, that would be another matter. Then it would be oh so worth it. :cool:

/ repower
SnowRidge, that may be true, i was thinking of the 25 hp robin if i go that route,but you still have the starting issue. i now keep it in a heated building in the winter. i guess thats not a issue anymore.......jim

/ repower #9  
JJ,sounds like a plan,thanks..
MR,do you have the wiring print for your 425? so i can compare it to my robin print? you know it's been a couple years,i'm retired looking for something to do like a big motor.....jim

I'll have to look. Its been many years since I looked in the PT supplied manual. Had no trouble, so no need to look. ( I'll regret saying that!:) )

I purchased manuals for my Kohler from a local engine shop.

/ repower #10  
I always wondered why you couldn't power it off of a belt drive instead of a direct connection to the engine shaft? That way, you could run it off of just about any engine available, like a Chevy 153 straight 4 from the 60s. Simple as simple gets and would last a lifetime in these machines.:)