A PT-1445?

/ A PT-1445? #1  

ToolcatWonka5610

Gold Member
Well, I did some further research and it looks like when may not need the Slope Mowing capability. My Dad measured some slopes we do and have done work on and they all came to around 30 or 35. I'm sure a 1445 could handle that. Were now checking out the T18 class trailer package. Now does anyone know if the T18 class trailer is over grossed like the T12 class trailer. If we bought a 1445, it would be in a Trailer Package. Sidenote: Hows the 1445 performance for those of you that own one? I actually found one who owns one in Marysville, Michigan so I could go check one out if I wanted :) But I'm gonna call Chris and PT and ask him about the 1445 and Trailer Package Prices :cool:

/ A PT-1445? #2  
I own a 1445 and love it. However, if you intend on mowing 30-35 degree slopes, I would buy a slope mower. Trust me you want a little leeway for when your downhill wheel catches a gopher hole or your uphill wheel catches an unseen drainage pipe or stump.

My slopes measure out in that range, and I can tell you that I mow them slowly and very carefully. If I were mowing them for a living, I wouldn't do it in a 1445. I believe that there is too much opportunity for you to find an unexpected obstacle while mowing.

With bar tires, the 1445 is traction limited going up 35 degree slopes, i.e. I spin out if I am not careful on our loose gravel/hard earth slopes. I bought the bar tires on Terry's recommendation since I was brush cutting and he felt the bar tires were much more puncture resistant than the turf tires. If you are mowing lawns, I would suggest the turf.

By the way, I found using a 5' piece of angle iron and a slope gauge a useful way to check slopes. The only downside is that every rodent hole and stump will make the slope a little steeper.

All the best,

Peter

P.S. PM with your phone number, and I would be happy to speak with you.

Well, I did some further research and it looks like when may not need the Slope Mowing capability. My Dad measured some slopes we do and have done work on and they all came to around 30 or 35. I'm sure a 1445 could handle that. Were now checking out the T18 class trailer package. Now does anyone know if the T18 class trailer is over grossed like the T12 class trailer. If we bought a 1445, it would be in a Trailer Package. Sidenote: Hows the 1445 performance for those of you that own one? I actually found one who owns one in Marysville, Michigan so I could go check one out if I wanted :) But I'm gonna call Chris and PT and ask him about the 1445 and Trailer Package Prices :cool:

/ A PT-1445? #4  
Just to clarify the 1445 traction: it is traction limited on my ground. I would easily believe that in most other situations, the wheels could sink in enough to get traction.

One other point, on wet grass, you will want extra stability. I had the 1445 out a few weeks ago mowing some lush weeds on a 25 degree side slope and the whole tractor started sliding sideways on the wet morass. I had visions of getting some lateral speed and hitting an obstacle, and tipping. That ended the job for me, and I pulled the plug on the mowing and eased the tractor off of the hill.

All the best,

Peter

/ A PT-1445? #5  
Just to clarify the 1445 traction: it is traction limited on my ground. I would easily believe that in most other situations, the wheels could sink in enough to get traction.

One other point, on wet grass, you will want extra stability. I had the 1445 out a few weeks ago mowing some lush weeds on a 25 degree side slope and the whole tractor started sliding sideways on the wet morass. I had visions of getting some lateral speed and hitting an obstacle, and tipping. That ended the job for me, and I pulled the plug on the mowing and eased the tractor off of the hill.

All the best,

Peter
I have an 1845 with turf tires. I can work a 35 degree slope with firm dry turf. On the other hand, if it is damp I will loose traction and slide a bit if working cross slope and spin wheels if trying to go up slope. I don't have any slope greater than 35 degrees but I second Peter's comments about conditions that can increase local slope seen by the tractor. I also believe that when working with a 3500-4000 lb machine (including attachment) that a margin of safety is imperative.

/ A PT-1445? #6  
Bottom line: mowing steep slopes isn't like mowing your grandfather's front lawn. There will be times when it is a no go for mowing, regardless of the mower rating.

Be thankful it isn't a fire area: I have a flow chart on the side of the refrigerator for figuring out when it is fire safe to mow.

All the best,

Peter
I have an 1845 with turf tires. I can work a 35 degree slope with firm dry turf. On the other hand, if it is damp I will loose traction and slide a bit if working cross slope and spin wheels if trying to go up slope. I don't have any slope greater than 35 degrees but I second Peter's comments about conditions that can increase local slope seen by the tractor. I also believe that when working with a 3500-4000 lb machine (including attachment) that a margin of safety is imperative.

/ A PT-1445? #7  
I have a flow chart on the side of the refrigerator for figuring out when it is fire safe to mow. Peter

How about sharing your chart Peter? I'm pretty cautious about mowing if there's ANY risk of a spark starting a fire, but if I or anyone else gleaned even one more helpful hint it would be appreciated.

Phil

/ A PT-1445? #8  
I think it says January 10, from 8PM to 6AM so you can see the sparks at night.

Although it seems like a wetter spring than normal...

/ A PT-1445? #9  
So why are you guys mowing side slope in the first place, instead of up and down the slope? Folks around here who mow(ed) side slope are frequently referred to in the past tense. ;)

/ A PT-1445? #10  
I try to mow up and down slope when possible. For instance, two weeks ago, the side slip occurred as I was trying to turn at the top, because I didn't have enough traction to back up the slope in the first place.

I do everything possible not to be side slope, but sometimes you need to turn around.

All the best,

Peter
So why are you guys mowing side slope in the first place, instead of up and down the slope? Folks around here who mow(ed) side slope are frequently referred to in the past tense. ;)