Dealer 1425 carb, gas or dealer issues ?

/ 1425 carb, gas or dealer issues ? #1  

hogi

Bronze Member
Tractor
PT-425
My 425 is going on about 3 years with low hours, maybe 30. this weekend it flooded the engine crankcase with fuel. The local dealer (it's still barely under warranty) says it's not their issue because its bad fuel, that causes this. He claims if the fuel isn't purchased from Shell, Chevron or 76 then it's inferior fuel with a high alcohol content that will rot the gaskets and o-rings in the carb. I am skeptical of this, I've talked some old timers about this and they say its B.S., with the exception of one of the three mentioned, all the fuel used in local stations comes out of the same refineries.
Now the questions:
1) Can the dealer refuse to service the engine based on what he thinks caused the problem?
2) Is it even worth the hassle, should I just buy a rebuild kit and do it myself?
3) Is there a difference of fuel from independent stations?
4) Are robin engines worthless pieces of junk or just misunderstood?

Last edited:
   / 1425 carb, gas or dealer issues ? #2  
Isn't a 1425 that little slope mower version of a 425?
Robin engines are very good engines. Talk to some of the PT 180, 422, 425, 2425 owners on here. They'll tell you. Just because Robin is Japanese built doesn't mean their a bad engine. It's like saying Kubota Diesels are junk. Both are very good. But some yes their great, other not so much. So Robin engines are morely misunderstood.
My .02 cents

/ 1425 carb, gas or dealer issues ? #3  
1) Can the dealer refuse to service the engine based on what he thinks caused the problem?
If the dealer is a factory authorized agent and you have a warranty claim I don't think the dealer can refuse to inspect the machine--of course the results of the inspection may lead to a denial of the warranty claim.

2) Is it even worth the hassle, should I just buy a rebuild kit and do it myself? Only you can decide this.

3) Is there a difference of fuel from independent stations? Yes. However I think the relevant issue is whether the fuel you are using complies with the Robin manual recommendations/specifications.

A side note--is the reference to a 1425 a typo? I know PT makes a 2445 and a 425 presently. So far as I know PT has not offered a "1425" in the past three years.

/ 1425 carb, gas or dealer issues ? #4  
Dear Hogi,

Sorry to hear that this happened. The exact details of what your dealer is permitted to do does vary somewhat by state. In most states, dealers are permitted to show that customer misuse or abuse caused the issue and therefore exclude warranty repair. However, they have to prove that some action by the customer caused the issue at hand.

While it is true that gasoline does differ significantly between vendors, even if it comes from the same refinery, it is also definitely true that certain manufacturers (Shell, Chevron) do go to significantly more effort and produce fuels with greater quantities of detergents and anti-wear additives. There was a nice article in Chem. Eng. News on April 6th, 2009 covering this in detail that closed with a quote from a gasoline formulation consultant who admitted that he only bought gasoline from a small number of vendors.

However, all gasoline has to meet minimum federal standards, and are highly unlikely to cause o-ring or gasket issues in three years or thirty hours. Now letting gas stand for six months to a year is asking for trouble as the additives drop out of solution and water and acids creep in, but these are likely to cause clogging of the carburetor, rather than gasket failure.

High alcohol (ethanol) content has nothing to do with it. Ethanol at low concentrations has no major effects on orings and gaskets. At high concentrations (e.g. E85, 85-100%), you need to remove any nylon in the fuel system, but the rubber isn't going to be the part giving you issues. Running pure drigas through your engine may give you wear issues, and fuel in the oil, but that is a different story.

Bottom line: I don't think that the dealer has a leg to stand on, but to get them to admit it may be a long hassle. I would ask them to reconsider, and if they didn't, I would buy the parts elsewhere forever.

If they aren't more helpful, don't forget to b**** to your friends about their poor performance. One unhappy customer does spoil a whole bunch in my book.

As an example, a local car dealer here screwed up pretty much every time that I brought my car in for repair. Two examples: the car was delivered new, with a broken instrument cluster- the temperature gauge didn't work. Second, with about 80,000 miles on the car, while the invoice said that they had drained and flushed my brake lines, the fluid was brown when I picked up the car which suggested that they hadn't actually flushed the lines. When I had a polite discussion with the service manager about the work, and rather than fixing the issue, he said to me "if we do such a lousy job, why do you bring your car in here?" or words to that effect. I felt that he was correct, and I quit going that day, and wrote a letter to the manufacturer detailing the history. Eighteen months later, the dealership was shut down by the manufacturer. (I can't claim credit, but I wasn't unhappy to see them go either.)

I can't comment about the engine itself; I have read enough to know that they have issues. In all fairness, it seems as if almost every other small engine manufacturer also has issues.

I hope that this helps.

All the best,

Peter

My 425 is going on about 3 years with low hours, maybe 30. this weekend it flooded the engine crankcase with fuel. The local dealer (it's still barely under warranty) says it's not their issue because its bad fuel, that causes this. He claims if the fuel isn't purchased from Shell, Chevron or 76 then it's inferior fuel with a high alcohol content that will rot the gaskets and o-rings in the carb. I am skeptical of this, I've talked some old timers about this and they say its B.S., with the exception of one of the three mentioned, all the fuel used in local stations comes out of the same refineries.
Now the questions:
2) Is it even worth the hassle, should I just buy a rebuild kit and do it myself?

/ 1425 carb, gas or dealer issues ? #5  
I suggest trying to find another dealer or planning to play hardball with this one. If I understand correctly, unless Robin *specifically* requires ethanol-free fuel (or fuel from specific suppliers) in the *written* warranty or owner's manual, the dealer cannot legally refuse to cover it under warranty.

I suspect you probably have a bit of crud in the carburetor float valve.

In my opinion, the Robin engines are generally a high quality engine. That said, they have several weak points: they don't start well in low temperatures; the oil cooler hose clamps aren't always properly tightened, and they are prone to vapor-locking when worked hard.

/ 1425 carb, gas or dealer issues ? #6  
Now the questions:

The alcohol in fuel is not that high, probably no more than 10 %

It has been documented long time ago that alcohol laced fuels does damage some plastics, etc. However, I don't think the tips on the needle seat are made of cheap stuff. I believe it is vitron or something like that. You can do a test. Take the fuel bowl off, and raise the float and see if the fuel continues to flow. If it doesn't , the fuel inlet seat and needle valve is good. Sometimes a piece of grit will get in between the seat and needle valve, and fuel will fill the bowl, and flood the crankcase. I have had Honda s, and Kohler's do this. I don't think it is anyones problem . It is like belts and oil, and antifreeze. It is your responsibility. The carb probably is not defective, just needs a little maintenance. Probably should use the fuel shut off if this happens often, and/or replace the needle and seat. They maintenance also tell you how to set the float. A lot of the Kohler's have a fuel solenoid shut off on the carb. You can add an in-line fuel shut off solenoid to any fuel line. It is really a good idea.

Something like that is a really good reason to check the oil every day. Sometimes the block is so full, that when you try to start, it feels like the engine is locked up, and essentially it is. It's called hydraulic lock. Just drain and add new oil and drain the filter also. Have you done any work on the carb?

Alcohols may be corrosive to certain materials used in engines. Generally, methyl alcohol is the most corrosive and butyl alcohol is least corrosive.

Alcohol/Ethanol being a solvent and de-greaser also adversely effects boat parts and components.
Clogging of carburetor and fuel filters is now more common.

/ 1425 carb, gas or dealer issues ? #7  
Call Robin, tell them what happened, and demand to know the location of the next closest authorized warranty repair station.

Make a point to tell Robin that you are reconsidering purchasing any more Robin powered equipment, if that is the kind of warranty service you can expect.

/ 1425 carb, gas or dealer issues ? #8  
EPA maximum approved limit on ethanol in gasoline is 10% aka E10. Some states, e.g. Minnesota are considering 15, but the EPA has yet to issue a rule covering the impact.

While all car engines since 1986 have been E10 compliant, I have never seen the regulations about off road vehicles for ethanol. Since California requires the engines to be emission compliant, I guess that they are E10 compatible. I am with JJ; unless Robin requires E10 free gasoline (good luck finding it), and has 19 little stickers all over the engine to that effect, I doubt that it is an issue.

All the best,

Peter

/ 1425 carb, gas or dealer issues ? #9  
Now the questions:

So the crank case got full of fuel? How was this determined? Did it do any damage? Can;t you just drain it, refill it with fresh oil, run it for a few minutes, drain it, refill it again and off your go? Or is the engine damaged? If it is damaged, what is damaged?

I think your dealer just doesn't want to do warranty work because he won't make any profit on it. :rolleyes:

/ 1425 carb, gas or dealer issues ? #10  
So the crank case got full of fuel? How was this determined? Did it do any damage? Can;t you just drain it, refill it with fresh oil, run it for a few minutes, drain it, refill it again and off your go? Or is the engine damaged? If it is damaged, what is damaged?

I think your dealer just doesn't want to do warranty work because he won't make any profit on it. :rolleyes:

Hold the phone. Does that Robin have a mechanical fuel pump? Some mechanical fuel pumps can leak gas into the crankcase if their rubber diaphragm ruptures. Under the right circumstances, it can be an explosion hazard.

How was it determined that the carb was at fault? Has anyone actually looked to see what caused the problem?